Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Saying it's a ripoff of Dances With Wolves is giving DWW too much credit. It's just the Pocahontas story. Which DWW was a ripoff of too. That's the reason no one talks about Avatar, it was purely a CGI/3D tech demo, it did nothing else original.
Pocahontas in Space is what i call it

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Personally I was shocked by Avatar when they went with the complete 180 on the ending and the bad guys all won and humanity is doomed. You spend an entire movie with this awesome space marine Colonel with a badass scar that pilots robots, trying to desperately to stave off hostile aliens so his team can bring home the resources earth desperately needs to survive, only to have it all go tits up at the end. He gets killed by the aliens, humanity has to abandon the only planet they could find within reasonable travel distance that could give them the resources they so desperately need, and now are forced to return to a cold, frozen, lifeless earth that probably can't support or fund another expedition of that magnitude.

You just don't see too many big "failure" endings like that out of Hollywood anymore, so that was refreshing at least.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, not to mention the traitor that betrays his superiors, friends, and even his own race to help the aliens wipe them out. It was quite the shocker.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Pocahontas in Space is what i call it
Nah.

INmdvxW.jpg

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Cmon guys you're being too hard on Avatar. That line "We're not in Kansas anymore" was brilliant in a movie with so few cliches and wasn't at all a ripoff of anything else.

iannis

Musty Nester
I liked Dances with Wolves. I also liked The Postman.

Costner just provides some primo grade A+++ schlock. Those are Sunday afternoon movies through and through. They really are the pinnacle of their genre. Are they good movies? No, probably not. But they are the best bad movies of that type that you're ever gonna find.

Avatar failed to live up to that standard. It really was a tech demo.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Cmon guys you're being too hard on Avatar. That line "We're not in Kansas anymore" was brilliant in a movie with so few cliches and wasn't at all a ripoff of anything else.
Lol! Yeah, I was probably one of the very few in the world that didn't buy into the Avatard hype. Thought the movie was shit (a pretty shit, but still shit). It's a potpourri of several different movies, which is what really pisses me off about it since Cameron tried to convince everyone that he had the idea about this story since he was a kid.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Look at the list of Best Picture noms this year. In two or three years no one is going to be talking about any of those movies, much less rewatching them, except for MM and maybe Revenant. Those movies are going to impact the entire industry for the next decade, dominate discussion among the fans, and be rewatched constantly. MM:FR is this generation's Conan the Barbarian, a perfect example of that kind of movie at the right time that everyone with a functioning pair of testicles will know by heart.

So yeah, go ahead and be edgy and call it overhyped, if that makes you feel cool. Those of us who are old enough to remember things like "Conan, what is best in life?" scenes understood the significance of this movie. The rest of you who grew up on Michael Bay and shitty SW Prequels will never understand how you were robbed of your childhood. This kind of movie (and John Wick, Deadpool, ect) need to exist to pull Hollywood back to what people want to watch instead of the random Mark Ruffalo taking it in the ass/chasing kid diddler art house faggot bait that has been paraded around the last decade or so. I have a feeling that most of you bagging on this film are used to having massive Oscar bait expositions spelling everything out to you, rather than watching shit with your eyes and figuring it out for yourselves. Amazing story telling does not require any dialog at all, just a good cinematic vision. For fucks sake the original Planet of the Apes (a game changer in its day) had Charlton fucking Heston not utter a single line for almost the entire first half of the movie and it had zero issues getting its story across. Stop trying to impose art house faggotry standards on what is an entirely different animal.
Oh for fuck's sake. I'm 42 god damn years old. Conan was awesome, but I was 12 years old. My favorite movie of all time is Cool hand Luke, I'm hardly some cinema hipster faggot that needs "massive Oscar bait expositions".

Just because I thought MMFR was mediocre doesn't mean I thought the rest of the "Oscar bait" was amazing. Hollywood is old and flaccid. The last movie that really stuck with me was Whiplash. Fury Road to me was a post apocalyptic, Michael Bay inspired Cannonball Run with lots of cool props instead of CGI. There wasn't a single original thought in the movie. It was just two hours of really badass stunts with a couple characters that might have been interesting if they ever did anything besides yell and breath really heavily while driving a tricked out monster truck through the Australian desert. Go watch The Warriors sometime you dipshits.

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
No kidding. Now everyone who isn't in love with this thing cut their teeth on fucking Michael Bay and The Phantom Menace? Or is it really that I need to feed my Everquest message board ego by popping into a random movie thread to be an edgy contrarian? GTFO. No matter how well-made or perfectly executed this may have been, not everyone is going to be on board with all of the internet orgasming. I can certainly appreciate the technical expertise and the high-level of impassioned execution boasted in Fury Road, but it's still not a great movie in my book. As I said before, under a really specific set of circumstances I'll probably watch it again (a lazy Sunday of cocktail imbibing in my home theater without my wife around to whine to me that the upstairs floor is shaking) and I'll likely even enjoy it then.

I'm certainly not unhappy that it exists. If the good bits of it are embraced by the film industry in any meaningful way, then that's certainly a positive step. However, I can't help but recall all of the terrible Star Wars rip offs of the late 70s/80s, the torturous legion of god-awful "bullet-time" movies that appeared after The Matrix (including the other Matrix movies, lol), etc etc. Hopefully this breeds more awesome than it does crap.

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
See, everyone has their own tastes.

I prefer a beautiful woman taking care of business down there.

You prefer slob jobs courtesy of older dudes from a gaming site who don't go nuts over particularly well made car chases.

It's all okay. God loves all of His children.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
My favorite part is when either side pushes their argument to the absolute extreme. Now the people who don't like it grew up on Michael Bay. Now the movie was inspired by Michael Bay. Calling someone a faggot over their taste in movies is one thing, but bringing in Michael Bay insults is going too far.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
My favorite part is when either side pushes their argument to the absolute extreme. Now the people who don't like it grew up on Michael Bay. Now the movie was inspired by Michael Bay. Calling someone a faggot over their taste in movies is one thing, but bringing in Michael Bay insults is going too far.
I think the people getting sand in their vagina over this movie are missing the entire point of the argument. No one that likes the movie is trying to say it's the greatest movie ever made. Rather, what we are saying is that it's a perfectly made action movie, which is extremely rare in today's Hollywood. That's the beauty of the movie. It's not trying to be anything more than what it is: an awesome action flick.

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
kqjL17yufvn9OVLyXYpvtyrFfak.jpg

Title: Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

Tagline: What a Lovely Day.

Genre: Action, Adventure, Science Fiction, Thriller

Director: George Miller

Cast: Tom Hardy, Charlize Theron, Nicholas Hoult, Hugh Keays-Byrne, Josh Helman, Nathan Jones, Zoë Kravitz, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Riley Keough, Abbey Lee, Courtney Eaton, John Howard, Richard Carter, Iota, Angus Sampson, Jennifer Hagan, Megan Gale, Melissa Jaffer, Melita Jurišić, Gillian Jones, Joy Smithers, Antoinette Kellerman, Christina Koch, Jon Iles, Quentin Kenihan, Coco Jack Gillies, Chris Patton, Stephen Dunlevy, Richard Norton, Vince Roxburgh, John Walton, Ben Smith-Petersen, Russ McCarroll, Judd Wild, Elizabeth Cunico, Greg Van Borssum, Rob Jones, Sebastian Dickins, Darren Mitchell, Crusoe Kurddal, Shyan Tonga, Cass Comerford, Albert Lee, Riley Paton, Ripley Voeten, Riley Paton, Maycn Van Borssum, Hunter Stratton Boland, Nathan Jenkins, Fletcher Gill, Whiley Toll, Ferdinand Hengombe, Gadaffi Davsab, Noddy Alfred, Jackson Hengombe, Christian Fane, Callum Gallagher, Abel Hofflin, Lee Perry, Hiroshi Kasuga

Release: 2015-05-13

Runtime: 120

Plot: An apocalyptic story set in the furthest reaches of our planet, in a stark desert landscape where humanity is broken, and most everyone is crazed fighting for the necessities of life. Within this world exist two rebels on the run who just might be able to restore order. There's Max, a man of action and a man of few words, who seeks peace of mind following the loss of his wife and child in the aftermath of the chaos. And Furiosa, a woman of action and a woman who believes her path to survival may be achieved if she can make it across the desert back to her childhood homeland.

kqjL17yufvn9OVLyXYpvtyrFfak.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 6Solidarity
  • 4Like
Reactions: 9 users

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
It doesn't feel like it gets justice on the small screen, need to show it in theaters again.

• 1Like