Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
You guys hyped this movie up to be the second coming of Jesus Christ. There's no way it could live up to the hype.
I'm forced to agree with this. There's a lot to like about it in theory: minimal exposition that's shown and not discussed, razor-sharp focus, little dialogue, impressive action done with practical effects, a clear passion by the filmmakers to execute on their vision versus all of the lazy, worthless cash-ins that are regularly vomited out, etc etc....but I couldn't help but think that the movie itself was kind of shitty. I can certainly respect it for being "well-made", and there certainly wasn't anything offensively bad about it, but the hype train for this film was more than a little overdone. Best picture? Uhh, okay. That said, I wouldn't mind checking it out again in a few years on a lazy Sunday or something. I'd probably enjoy it a bit more under those conditions.

Caliane

My favorite thing about this movie, especially in comparison to most other modern cinema, was how much lore is revealed with a complete lack of exposition.

I can sort of see where you're coming from in that on the surface this was just kind of a straight action film, but I think the beauty of it is simply that. It was a really good, legitimate, action film and it didn't pander to anyone.
yeah. Enjoyment is likely directly related to how much you are actually paying attention to it. And how good your theater system is.

didn't watch oscars, did it win best sound... everything? better damn well have.

Devlin

Golden Squire
What makes it special is how unique it is within the genre especially in the modern day. The story is told almost like a silent movie with very little dialogue, the way to really appreciate the movie is in a dark room on a big screen with either a decent set of speakers or headphones.

The movie is an audio/visual spectacle and that's how the vast majority of the story is told and what makes it special, it's absolutely an exceptional piece of film making and is a really pure example.

If you don't appreciate it then that's absolutely fine, I don't enjoy movies with Adam Sandler, each to his own.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Lyrical...
Can you explain to us, who where the war boys, what was their religion, what drove them, how did they seek redemption?
If you can, and everyone can after watching the movie, notice how the movie never told you these things.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
You guys hyped this movie up to be the second coming of Jesus Christ. There's no way it could live up to the hype.
Not sure what you expected, but sounds like you have expectation issues, not an issue with the movie.

I don't personally think it should have won best picture because it's not that type of film (The Martian either). Then again, many best picture winners I don't personally find very enjoyable. But I also don't go onto snooty forums claiming I saw The Piano and it was over hyped and at best a serviceable drama and I didn't get the point because people just talked a lot.

Maybe they need a category for Most Entertaining Picture That People Discuss Over Things Other Than a Glass of Wine or Best Picture That Isn't a Fucking Social Agenda Not Accurate Enough to Just be a Documentary.

Nester

Vyemm Raider

Best Costume Design, Production Design, Makeup & Hairstyling, Film Editing, and both Sound Mixing and Editing

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
About the only one that it maybe should have gotten was the oscar for best FX. I am really not sure why ex machina got it. That had very very low key effects and it could easily have done totally without them and not lost anything.

spronk

FPS noob
12783570_783372308434959_3096203252052784174_o.jpg

If you are a man and you don't like Mad Max, something went wrong in your life somewhere and I feel sorry for you. You are fundamentally broken and may God have mercy on your soul, for the afterlife will be a dark and terrible place for you, full of pain and anguish.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Spronk and Popsicle get it. It fits what it is supposed to do perfectly. Much like the Revenant, the story isn't the primary focus(even though it tells a lot without language). It is just an expertly made piece of action theater.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
About the only one that it maybe should have gotten was the oscar for best FX. I am really not sure why ex machina got it. That had very very low key effects and it could easily have done totally without them and not lost anything.
I thought ex machina did well with it's effects. Low key is sometimes good. They weren't overbearing in part because they were so well done which helped them be pretty seamless and well integrated. There are still even big budget movies that have janky looking effects, so I don't mind a movie being rewarded when they're done well, even if the movie isn't saturated with them.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I was bummed that George Miller didn't win best director. I mean, the entire industry hailed him for his achievement in making a movie like this and how important it was as a piece of cinematic art, so the least you could do is give the guy best director. Was hoping it would win for best picture, but was pretty certain either "Spotlight" or "The Big Short" was going to win.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Mad Max was a million times better than The Force Awakens, which was the most overhyped and overrated movie of all time.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I watched it a couple weeks ago and was embarrassed that I recommended it so highly based on this boards reviews. WTF dudes? It might as well have been "Michael Bay Does Mad Max without so much CGI".

I didn't give a flying fuck about a single character. Sure some of the stunts and props were cool, but that's not enough to sustain an entire film. Bleh. 6/10

P.S. - when you neg me, at least sign your name so I know who the faggot neck beards are around here.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
The best part about the trolls in this thread is we will be getting LOTS O' MILLER NOW BITCHES!!

Enjoy your hating on Mad Max. We will enjoy the domination of the night, and the forthcoming sequels.

iannis

Musty Nester
It had no hidden agenda. It was the PERFECT action movie.

Part of it may be because all the 80's remakes have been so utterly shit. Mad Max and Dredd are the only two that got it right. Robocop, Terminator, yet another batman, super hero movies, all the other garbage?

Like Dredd, Fury Road is just amovie. And it is an absolutely perfect action movie. They just don't make them like that anymore, they really don't. It's every bit as good as Road Warrior -- which is(was) an absolute shock.

I get the Michael Bay crack, but Bay wishes that he could make a movie like Mad Max. Watch a bay movie, it's visually jarring, it's confused, it's jumbled, it's chaotic. Mad Max is fluid, it's done with minimal CGI, your eyes naturally follow the motions. It really shows a mastery of the medium that Bay doesn't have and doesn't even want. And I'm not even a technique nerd -- but the technique of the movie itself impressed me quite a bit. The story is super simple -- it's like everything you ever wanted out of a movie when you were 14 years old.

AND THAT IS GLORIOUS.

Every minute in the movie that passes is a minute where he COULD have fucked it up. And he didn't fuck it up. But he could have. He so easily could have.