Man Kills Drunk Driver Who Killed His Kids - Your Take

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
I can see why a prosecutor would want to pursue the case to the fullest extent of the law, but I don't really think this is one of those cases where they were just trying to pin a murder on whoever they could. I think it's just as likely that cops "botched" an investigation into the killing.

Oh gee we couldn't find the smoking gun of the guy that murdered this scumbag
The DA's work pretty closely with the cops, if the cops just "couldn't find" the gun due to planned incompetence because they didn't want to charge him, they just wouldn't have charged him.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The article mentioned he had the same kind of ammo that was used in the shooting, but it didn't mention whether he did or did not have a gun of that caliber registered in his name, which I thought was a very strange omission.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The article mentioned he had the same kind of ammo that was used in the shooting, but it didn't mention whether he did or did not have a gun of that caliber registered in his name, which I thought was a very strange omission.
Those aren't records that are supposed to be kept... not sure if serious?

The Master

Bronze Squire
Gun registration is not a Federal law, except in cases of stuff like machine guns, but state-by-state. Texas does not require registration. So it was omitted because 1.) No gun and 2.) They have no way of knowing if he does in fact own a gun of that caliber outside of him telling them he does, which he does not have to do. Fifth amendment.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Most states do not have registration. When the cops find a gun or recover one they go back to the maker of the gun and go from there, the distributor etc...till they end up at the FFL who sold it and did the paperwork. Then they can find the owner from that info assuming it hasn't been sold second hand since it was purchased new.

When you purchase a new gun from a FFL you fill out a form 4473 to do a background check. By LAW these are supposed to be destroyed within 24 hours. When Ashcroft became AG he found that they were stockpiling the 4473's ot not destroying them and he ordered them destroyed to follow the law.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Some states don't even have a waiting period which shocked me. I moved and bought a hand gun in my new state and took it home right away.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Some states don't even have a waiting period which shocked me. I moved and bought a hand gun in my new state and took it home right away.
Why shocked? You fill out form 4473 and they do an instant background check, no problems you go home with your gun. Lots of states don't require it period. Unless you get a federal hold when they do the federal check and then if it doens't come back clear in X days you get it regardless.

In this state you show your concealed carry card and they don't even require a background check because it was done when you got the card.

A large number of states don't require it.

Gun Show Background Checks State Laws

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I guess the gun register thing is either because I've watched too much Castle, or because Castle is set in New York.

Or both.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have two little girls. The burden of proof required for me to convict this guy would have had to have been CCTV. Anything short of that and I'm accepting the flimsiest story as to demonstrate reasonable doubt.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
The DA's work pretty closely with the cops, if the cops just "couldn't find" the gun due to planned incompetence because they didn't want to charge him, they just wouldn't have charged him.
Yes, I know that from watching Law and Order. How do you explain the fact that they charged him with so little to win with then?

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Yes, I know that from watching Law and Order. How do you explain the fact that they charged him with so little to win with then?
Covers their asses; if they just totally don't charge him at all, they let him get away... if they charge him and lose, "the jury did it."

The Master

Bronze Squire
Any case that gets publicity is going to be brought to trial even if the DA knows they have no chance of winning. If that seems ridiculous to you, I agree. I'm sure we can all think of a certain case in the recent past that rally exemplifies this.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
This didn't get trayvon levels of publicity. I live a couple hours away and i didn't hear about it till last month.

Joe Horn was no billed. That got more press AND he was a white dude who killed 2 black dudes. Maybe he got off because he had a football player's name.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Hoss_sl said:
This didn't get trayvon levels of publicity. I live a couple hours away and i didn't hear about it till last month.

Joe Horn was no billed. That got more press AND he was a white dude who killed 2 black dudes. Maybe he got off because he had a football player's name.
Yea, I'm actually surprised by the fact that Horn wasn't at least indicted. The Texas Castle doctrine laws are pretty hardcore.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I mostly seem to do it when I'm on this shitty connection, but it happens sometimes from home too. My actual post count is probably 10-15% less than the number displayed.

Also, the shit I say is important enough to read twice. So there's that.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I'm amazed that everyone thinks it's fine to kill someone, for any reason, (and talks it up like getting away with it is somehow an achievement and justice) while simultaneously crying 10,000 tears of rage every time a cop does anything at all to someone doing something equally as stupid as drunk driving or more-so like waving guns around a fucking walmart (fake or not) or resisting arrest, or rioting, or etc. etc. etc.

I'd also be willing to be that at least 90% of the posters in this thread have driven drunk, by the legal definition, more than once or fifty times in their lives. Where are your roadside executions?

Would it have been wrong for the father to shoot him if the driver wasn't drunk and it was just a general car accident? What if the father caused the accident but still shot the guy because his kids died and he blamed the other driver, is it justice then?

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I think, while it is a shame the driver lost his life, it would further be a shame if the father lost his for being held accountable for his actions when we all agree would be a very likely response from anyone.