Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I wish someone would make drug that would let me stay up all day. I don't care if I'm haunted by my war crimes in Vietnam and Tony Todd, the extra hours would be worth it.
Talk to wizardhawk, think he has a good recipe for some of that shake and bake.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Either you're 60 or don't sleep. That's 4 major professions with basically no overlap.
I started with the dancing and the hypnosis when I was very young. I was a fully certified instructor for ballroom before I turned 17. I'm 30, will be 31 in November. Also I didn't have a social life till I was like 21. So that helped a lot in terms of having spare time to read, practice, learn things, etc. I've never actually gotten paid to do Philosophy either, I just wanted to study it.

@Haast: If I ever have a business card I think I might put that on there now.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I hear the Uberman sleep cycle is a great way to get more hours out of your day.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
It was a joke, referring to that nut job back on FoH who went crazy doing the Uberman sleep cycle. You killed the joke!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I sleep around 5 hours a night. Enough that I can function but also enough that I can play video games at night.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Looks really dumb. I figure that my body knows more about sleep than I do, so I let it do its thing. Sleep when tired, wake when not.
With a small amount of reading, you could know more about sleep than your body does.

People used to sleep in two phases at night, before electric lights. The reality is we're not entirely sure why we need to sleep (we recently discovered certain cell waste procedures are more efficient when we're asleep and that is literally the only scientific reason we're aware of that causes us to need sleep), but we can measure the overall effects of not sleeping and optimize the amount of time to ensure those effects don't happen. Personally getting an extra 2-3 hours every day sounds pretty awesome.

iannis

Musty Nester
Hypnotism is like accupuncture or chiropracty.

It's not a science. It resists being a science because it is not generally applicable. But it is sometimes locally applicable.

There may be a lot of placebo and the mind tricking itself into whatever but if it gets results it's stupid to argue with that result. The method may be inscrutable.

Not everything useful WILL be subject to scientific inquiry.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Loved the the ending where he was fucking mailboxes or whatnot. A+, would read again.
What happened to that guy? If I remember right, he just disappeared. It would make a great "where are they now"

The Master

Bronze Squire
Hypnotism is like accupuncture or chiropracty.

It's not a science. It resists being a science because it is not generally applicable. But it is sometimes locally applicable.

There may be a lot of placebo and the mind tricking itself into whatever but if it gets results it's stupid to argue with that result. The method may be inscrutable.

Not everything useful WILL be subject to scientific inquiry.
There have actually been a few dozen neuroimaging studies done with hypnosis at this point, interesting stuff like people activating the part of their brain responsible for understanding color when they were told a grayscale image they were looking at was colored. A study done on identical and fraternal twins has identified a genetic component to susceptibility to hypnosis. So hypnosis has been the subject of extensive scientific inquiry, moreso every day. A lot of myths about it have been debunked and more solid explanations for why it works, and that it does work, are happening with pretty exciting frequency.