Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I am pretty sure that is not the case. The people I'm talking about are close friends and family members and I know for a fact that they never exercise, or at most they come up with some big plan to go jogging every morning, do it for 3 days, and then forget about it for 6 months.
These people aren't fit -- they're just not fat. To be fair, this puts them in the upper third percentile because the rest of society lacked discipline and ate themselves up to landwhale status. You can re-train your brain to not be a food addict, it just takes time and effort.

On a side note -- to chaos and you commenting on how most people fail to change their body comp. I'm turning 30 soon and I've realized that most people in my life stopped succeeding at anything actually hard or challenging long ago. They're just on cruise control. Childhood, teenage years, young adult life... we're constantly given hurdles to jump over, learning new and exotic things, etc etc... but most people I know that are my age are pretty damn mediocre now. The idea of going out and trying to beat something hard is just not appealing to them. When I told my friends/family I had started weightlifting, the overwhelming response was: ("Why?") The whole idea of spending time learning something new and potentially dangerous was just foreign to them. ("Why would you want to be stronger?")

I think most people suck at doing anything new and challenging -- that they suck at substantially changing their body composition (challenging) is no surprise to me. If it isn't part of their 9-5 scheduled life then the odds of anyone learning something new and executing it with discipline and panache is just minimal.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
You realize that linking actual studies is pretty close to impossible? They are all behind paywalls. If someone is a university student they can look it up fairly easily, but otherwise...

It isn't like that is unique to this issue. Most studies can't be linked to.
scholar.google.com
pubmed.org
uptodate.com

Post the abstract and I'll dl and share the published data.

Step up your game, hypno man.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
These people aren't fit -- they're just not fat. To be fair, this puts them in the upper third percentile because the rest of society lacked discipline and ate themselves up to landwhale status. You can re-train your brain to not be a food addict, it just takes time and effort.
Do you know someone who has done it? Meaning been 50+ pounds overweight and then lost it and stayed at that weight for more than 5 years? I have seen plenty of people who have lost a lot of weight but it never lasts more than a year or two.

I think you may have a point about many people losing their ambition as soon as they reach a point in life where they are fairly comfortable. I was pretty much at that point, wasting away in a government job before I changed careers at age 31. Ironically, that was when I was also in the best shape of my life because I had time to spend 8-10 hours a week riding my bicycle and also was allowed to lift weights during my work day. Switching careers has me working harder than I ever have in my life and I have also rediscovered my own ambition and desire for mental stimulation, but consequently I have way less free time so I have stopped exercising.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>

On a side note -- to chaos and you commenting on how most people fail to change their body comp. I'm turning 30 soon and I've realized that most people in my life stopped succeeding at anything actually hard or challenging long ago. They're just on cruise control. Childhood, teenage years, young adult life... we're constantly given hurdles to jump over, learning new and exotic things, etc etc... but most people I know that are my age are pretty damn mediocre now. The idea of going out and trying to beat something hard is just not appealing to them. When I told my friends/family I had started weightlifting, the overwhelming response was: ("Why?") The whole idea of spending time learning something new and potentially dangerous was just foreign to them. ("Why would you want to be stronger?")

I think most people suck at doing anything new and challenging -- that they suck at substantially changing their body composition (challenging) is no surprise to me. If it isn't part of their 9-5 scheduled life then the odds of anyone learning something new and executing it with discipline and panache is just minimal.
This post is unfortunately true. I got the same treatment when I went back to law school. People asked me, "you don't like your career?" I was like, nah, I like it fine, I just want to try this new and harder game. They looked at me like I was from mars.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Do you know someone who has done it? Meaning been 50+ pounds overweight and then lost it and stayed at that weight for more than 5 years? I have seen plenty of people who have lost a lot of weight but it never lasts more than a year or two.

I think you may have a point about many people losing their ambition as soon as they reach a point in life where they are fairly comfortable. I was pretty much at that point, wasting away in a government job before I changed careers at age 31. Ironically, that was when I was also in the best shape of my life because I had time to spend 8-10 hours a week riding my bicycle and also was allowed to lift weights during my work day. Switching careers has me working harder than I ever have in my life and I have also rediscovered my own ambition and desire for mental stimulation, but consequently I have way less free time so I have stopped exercising.
I don't know about 50lbs but during/after college I was up around 215-220lbs and one day looked in the mirror and realized I was a fatass and have been 185-195 since then. That was 10 or so years ago. I restrict my diet every day and avoid crap food.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
scholar.google.com
pubmed.org
uptodate.com

Post the abstract and I'll dl and share the published data.

Step up your game, hypno man.
I think he'd rather post shitty articles as his proof while at the same time sayig they are just articles and aren't real proof. How? Magical magnetic hypnosis.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
But keeping weight off helps you get chicks!

I just want to mention that while Brutul's assumptions are probably right for 99% of the population, he'll probably meet some resistance here. I'm not sure what it is, but this forum, or maybe video gamer culture, tends to attract societal outliers. There's probably many people here that meet his criteria, myself being one.

iannis

Musty Nester
I dropped about 10 lbs in the past 6 weeks.

I looked down when I was peeing, realized that I should be able to see my weiner, and made some small changes. I feel better too. But I still don't give a fuck. And I can see my winky when I inhale. Another 6 weeks or so.

Brut is probably more right than wrong.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Because most people suck at something doesn't mean that's okay -- this is the same message board that looks down on LFR raiders in WoW for having shitty DPS. I wouldn't tell my son that his odds of being a doctor are low as fuck if thats what he wanted to aspire to, just like I wouldn't tell my fat friend he may as well never try to look as good as me.

I'd describe how its done and say "most people fail, but most people fucking fail at everything they do. Your choice."

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
If the person is looking at it like its a diet then they are going to fail and gain back any weight they lose. As someone mentioned earlier, its got to be a lifestyle change.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I don't know if I count but during my eq/wow heavy years, I probably got up to 200 or maybe 210, now I'm 155ish, but like eidal and cad, I enjoy challenging myself and started bike racing at 28.

I'm still a fatty at heart, I just burn it all off.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
But keeping weight off helps you get chicks!

I just want to mention that while Brutul's assumptions are probably right for 99% of the population, he'll probably meet some resistance here. I'm not sure what it is, but this forum, or maybe video gamer culture, tends to attract societal outliers. There's probably many people here that meet his criteria, myself being one.
I think it's message board people, not gamers, that are a little off of the societal norms. Most people don't spend a block of every day furiously typing bullshit to strangers and calling them fuckheads like we do. Any time you bring up the Meyers-Briggs personality test on a message board (and I have seen this on non video game boards) you get a vastly disproportionate number of INTJ personality types. They are like 1% in the general population but 30-50% of regular forum posters in my experience.