Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Isn't that incorrect? My understanding is that, other than maybe the house, a divorcee is only entitle to half of the assets that the couple both earned while they were married. Like for me for example, if my share of the family business is worth 5 million when we get married, if we get divorced 10 years down the road and the business was now worth 10 million, she'd only be entitled to half of the difference, or 2.5 million.

That was my understanding of how it worked, anyways. And yes, I realize that lawyers will find a way to fight over shit like that, but the principle is what I'm talking about.
Your understanding is correct in a community property state. In a common law property state, things can be different and more complex.

And generally, spouses will demand whatever the fuck they want neverminding the law in settlement conferences, and then threaten to drag this out for 5 years and spill all your dirty laundry in open court. Family law is a dirty, dirty business.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Actually, if the differential between the two spousal incomes is large enough, getting married does have the financial benefit of lowering the tax burden for the spouse that makes more money.

But honestly, family unit, insurance coverage, and legal rights are much more important.
Thats the point, all of those can happen without being married. Its something you do to live up to and fulfill society's expectations.

I dont know, maybe Ill just paranoid of the realities of life. Knowing someone else has the power to completely fuck your life over based on what direction the wind is blowing is pretty terrible.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Thats the point, all of those can happen without being married. Its something you do to live up to and fulfill society's expectations.

I dont know, maybe Ill just paranoid of the realities of life. Knowing someone else has the power to completely fuck your life over based on what direction the wind is blowing is pretty terrible.
You sure about that? My wife lived with me before we were married in Vermont, and I couldn't get her on my insurance.

Honestly, Cad could answer this better. But I'm going to guess that insurance coverage and legal rights are NOT 100% similar in this country when comparing married to non-married.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Unless you plan on humping your anime pillow for the rest of your life, a woman can utterly destroy your life whether you're married or not, if she's vindictive enough. Then you also have common law states, so even avoiding getting married doesn't really keep you off of the hook financially. Everything you do in life has an associated cost/risk. Relationships are no different.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
You sure about that? My wife lived with me before we were married in Vermont, and I couldn't get her on my insurance.

Honestly, Cad could answer this better. But I'm going to guess that insurance coverage and legal rights are NOT 100% similar in this country when comparing married to non-married.
My work has a concept of domestic partnerships for insurance purposes. I don't know exactly what all the rules around it are exactly but I think it was living together 3-5 years. However it is mostly in place to accomodate same-sex partnerships since Ohio doesn't allow for gay marriage.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Isn't that incorrect? My understanding is that, other than maybe the house, a divorcee is only entitle to half of the assets that the couple both earned while they were married. Like for me for example, if my share of the family business is worth 5 million when we get married, if we get divorced 10 years down the road and the business was now worth 10 million, she'd only be entitled to half of the difference, or 2.5 million.
I'm think that's correct. Maybe she doesn't even get that much. I know in the case of my aunt and uncle's divorce, they worked for 18 years in the family business (actually he did, she mostly had jobs in town) and when they divorced and we had to buy her out to the tune of about $500K and she only had to give him $100K (the business belonged to her parents). Maybe he got screwed in the deal, but it's tough to make a case that your spouse deserves a share of what you inherited from your parents or you owned outright before you were married, particularly if she doesn't contribute to the business.

When my Mom got remarried to a guy who also owned a ranch they signed a document that basically said if they split up or either of them dies then the other person has no claim on their respective ranches. I don't know how much legal weight it carries, but since both of them have kids and partners they didn't want to mix up the two businesses.

Saladus

Sometimes I really wish we could pull up timelines for exactly how some of these relationships have gone, and how we have warned everyone with our collective experiences. Let this be a lesson, Rerolled knows what they are talking about. Luckily Julian's stint was not long. Noodleface though? We were saying this shit in March of LAST YEAR.

Quotes from others are separated by a space.

For Julian the Apostate
Julian it is up to you to take all things that went wrong with Onoes situation and learn from them.

You have failed step 1 by saying you are in love.

Hahhaha, Julian, the whole time I was reading your story I was going "There's no way he's in AZ right? Because, this sounds exactly like crazy email girl I was with." Until I got to the job and no kids aspect of the story.
Fucking fantastic man, enjoy the shit out of that, I know I did!

"Haha I defiantly appreciate the heads up about nurse craziness. I never dated or knew any nurses so I was unaware of the connection. I'm hoping that she got into it late enough in her life that it hasn't set in yet."

I can feel Julian's excitement faltering as he reads post after post about crazy nurses.

She's a nurse. Trust me when I say that's a red flag. You'll find out. Nurses be crazy yo. The plus side is they're always horny.
For Noodleface ... I think that last one will hit hard
"I'm getting married in August.. at first I was really excited but now she's pulling a lot of the "we're married, I'm going to yell at you all day and withhold sex for months" shit. For serious, how to fix? It's getting out of hand. I do want to marry her, that is not the question. But her attitude about all this stuff is depressing."

If its started before you're even married.... what do you want me to tell you, its going to get better?

What is she yelling at you about? "Small shit.. like if I forget to grab the mail, or I sit on the couch wrong, or I move"

Dude, seriously run. If she's all over you about shit like that now it's going to become a living hell once you're married. Don't end up one of those guys that stay late at work because they are afraid to go home. I work with many and it isn't pretty.

Yeah, I'd say just keep dating her and never get married. Because once you do, it will only get worse. Just delay the wedding until you get tired of her shit. Those would be some major red flags.

Take a step back and think about how bad it realize is. If it is as bad as you say, now, with no kids or stress or anything, then break up with her right now and move on. You might think "oh these guys are being assholes because internet" but no, no we aren't.

You might have hope if she continues to work after you're married so that inevitably she has some purpose, and her energy/focus is primarily diverted mostly towards her job.

Just want to make a few points: 1) Noodleface, don't do it. Really. Don't. It is going to get worse before it gets better, if it does get better at all. The first couple of years of marriage are often very tough and if she is already losing respect and affection for you, you are fucked.

First of all she manipulated the fuck out of you. Secondly this response is a major fucking red flag, not just women logic. This bitch is grade A fucking crazy. Period. You need to get the fuck out NOW. You won't of course, but you'll remember this post in 3-7 years and I'll have been right. I promise you. She's going to ruin your fucking life dude, walk away and be your own man. You'll wish you had after its too late.

Noodleface is going to be in this thread professing the woes of his marriage an impending divorce in less than a year. Everyone told him that on FoH.

So, you let her wear the pants? You're in for a world of hurt, my friend. I look forward to your posts in the GWBYHT thread.

Get used to that, it will be the rest of your ill advised life if you go through with this colossal mistake. Won't stop after the wedding either. If its not that its the house. Or constant refurnishing and rennovations. Or the brat's college. Or her vehicle. Or your honey-do list and Home Depot. Or having another baby. Or getting you a a promotion/new position you don't even care about. This is your new life until you get a divorce or one of you fucking dies.

Saladus

Or suicide. I really hope it works out for you, and she's not always as horrible as we read here. But really I don't think things will change.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Sometimes I really wish we could pull up timelines for exactly how some of these relationships have gone, and how we have warned everyone with our collective experiences. Let this be a lesson, Rerolled knows what they are talking about. Luckily Julian's stint was not long. Noodleface though? We were saying this shit in March of LAST YEAR.

Quotes from others are separated by a space.

For Julian the Apostate
Julian it is up to you to take all things that went wrong with Onoes situation and learn from them.

You have failed step 1 by saying you are in love.

Hahhaha, Julian, the whole time I was reading your story I was going "There's no way he's in AZ right? Because, this sounds exactly like crazy email girl I was with." Until I got to the job and no kids aspect of the story.
Fucking fantastic man, enjoy the shit out of that, I know I did!

"Haha I defiantly appreciate the heads up about nurse craziness. I never dated or knew any nurses so I was unaware of the connection. I'm hoping that she got into it late enough in her life that it hasn't set in yet."

I can feel Julian's excitement faltering as he reads post after post about crazy nurses.

She's a nurse. Trust me when I say that's a red flag. You'll find out. Nurses be crazy yo. The plus side is they're always horny.
For Noodleface ... I think that last one will hit hard
"I'm getting married in August.. at first I was really excited but now she's pulling a lot of the "we're married, I'm going to yell at you all day and withhold sex for months" shit. For serious, how to fix? It's getting out of hand. I do want to marry her, that is not the question. But her attitude about all this stuff is depressing."

If its started before you're even married.... what do you want me to tell you, its going to get better?

What is she yelling at you about? "Small shit.. like if I forget to grab the mail, or I sit on the couch wrong, or I move"

Dude, seriously run. If she's all over you about shit like that now it's going to become a living hell once you're married. Don't end up one of those guys that stay late at work because they are afraid to go home. I work with many and it isn't pretty.

Yeah, I'd say just keep dating her and never get married. Because once you do, it will only get worse. Just delay the wedding until you get tired of her shit. Those would be some major red flags.

Take a step back and think about how bad it realize is. If it is as bad as you say, now, with no kids or stress or anything, then break up with her right now and move on. You might think "oh these guys are being assholes because internet" but no, no we aren't.

You might have hope if she continues to work after you're married so that inevitably she has some purpose, and her energy/focus is primarily diverted mostly towards her job.

Just want to make a few points: 1) Noodleface, don't do it. Really. Don't. It is going to get worse before it gets better, if it does get better at all. The first couple of years of marriage are often very tough and if she is already losing respect and affection for you, you are fucked.

First of all she manipulated the fuck out of you. Secondly this response is a major fucking red flag, not just women logic. This bitch is grade A fucking crazy. Period. You need to get the fuck out NOW. You won't of course, but you'll remember this post in 3-7 years and I'll have been right. I promise you. She's going to ruin your fucking life dude, walk away and be your own man. You'll wish you had after its too late.

Noodleface is going to be in this thread professing the woes of his marriage an impending divorce in less than a year. Everyone told him that on FoH.

So, you let her wear the pants? You're in for a world of hurt, my friend. I look forward to your posts in the GWBYHT thread.

Get used to that, it will be the rest of your ill advised life if you go through with this colossal mistake. Won't stop after the wedding either. If its not that its the house. Or constant refurnishing and rennovations. Or the brat's college. Or her vehicle. Or your honey-do list and Home Depot. Or having another baby. Or getting you a a promotion/new position you don't even care about. This is your new life until you get a divorce or one of you fucking dies.
I wasn't following this thread back then so I missed all those quotes you dug up about Noodlebro's situation. Wow...it's amazing how some of those are so eerily accurate to the stuff he's been talking about lately in this thread.

For real, though, I put a ton of stock into the advice and insight given by this community. It isn't biased by friendship like advice from people you know in real life, and it isn't softened or held back to save your feelings; it's just pure, unfiltered truth based on collective experiences. Overall this thread is depressing as fuck and as a single guy hoping to get married someday I can't say I enjoy reading it. That said, I do it just to absorb as much information from this brilliant hive mind as possible because I feel like it will better prepare me to make the right decision when the time comes.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The problem is logic is often over ruled by either your dick or your heart. Not a lot of men can ignore one and very few can ignore both. Knowing the game is rigged does you no good if you insist on playing, anyhow.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Couple of those noodles responses were mine. I stand by my assertion that he will live to regret marrying this woman and he'll realize someday he should have listened. Sounds like the process is well on its way. I love how recently someone told him to consult his father-in-law to find out what to do about wifey. His stories of her fucked up mother and the fucked up awful "marriage" that is her parents was one of those big red flags. Her whole family sounded trashy and insane as I recall.

Chesire_sl

shitlord
check parents if hers had a long death do us part you are halfway there , check grandparents same thing , it ups the chances she has more patience , tolerance and other useful personal skills that will keep a marriage going.
If you of course are the product of dysfunctional breeders going back a few generations , spare the world and go get castrated. After that stick with fucked up chicks and leave the worthwhile breed girls alone.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
The problem is logic is often over ruled by either your dick or your heart. Not a lot of men can ignore one and very few can ignore both. Knowing the game is rigged does you no good if you insist on playing, anyhow.
Exactly.

McCheeses post just made me yell out "WHY".