Marvel Heroes 20xx

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The whole game is going to be a trainwreck. Changes are fine, even big changes, but to make giant sweeping changes to the entire game in such a short period of time? Shit is going to be fucked up.

*edit*

I just now realized you had to actually be playing one of the heroes for hire for the leaderboard. This event really is complete trash.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I feel like your OCD could be satisfied with WoW and all its extra shit like mounts, pets, transmogs, achievements...

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I dunno, while they seem to be doing a ton of shit at once, none of it screamed "OH FUCK THIS GAME IS GOING TO SUCK NOW" to me. Although I'm not a *huge* fan of the reductionist power/talent shit they're doing WoW style.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kanglor

Silver Knight of the Realm
Amazing how a lot of this is same shit the early white listers suggested they do like two years ago. Just getting items that alter powers is a huge improvement, and not having to worry about power ranks will remove a huge headache for the item designers. They actually have me interested to seeing how it turns out, though I'd like to see one of the final blogs talk about content. Maybe take all the wasted time they put into making One Shots like the Zoo and turn it into repeatable 5 man content like Ultron.

• 1Like

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'll probably come back to poke around some when those changes go up, see if I enjoy it a bit more. With changes that big it's hard to push just some of it out the door so I have to assume there's going to be a "main" patch sometime.

• 1Like

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
New Dev post about the Omega tree revamp. It has train wreck written all over it.

Dev Blog 3: Infinity System

Oh god... I commend them for taking on some decently large endeavors right now, but this is going to piss off a lot of people as it is Paragon v2.0. They really needed to just fix the absurd junk nodes omegas had and call it a day. I have a feeling this new system is really going to screw the people who are at max Omegas (but who isn't at max omegas by now). Seems like a cop-out to not fix their shitty Omega system and to not need to work on the 3-4 Omega categories that have been locked/unfinished going on 2(?) years now

• 1Like

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My problems with it isnt so much getting screwed because I have max omegas, its that having an open ended progression system like this in a game that doesnt have hard resets (diablo 3, etc) is just going to be another barrier to entry for new players.

• 1Like

Kanglor

Silver Knight of the Realm
Good riddance to the old system, it's nothing but a vanilla(boring) +MoreStats AA system in an over designed and bloated interface. Originally it was pitched as being closer to the PoE tree, with actual build changing choices, but just looking back on how bad hero balance was then, can see why the system ended up as it is. The new system is going to be just as vanilla, but at least it'll be straight forward, and hopefully get rid of all the god damn proc-coefficient nodes that wouldn't even work for some heroes.

My only issue is the same as Byr, I don't see why the game needs an open ended AA system, is there really that much demand for such a feature? Granted I'm sure they'll sell XP potions to the few dozen hardcore players that actually think they're elite by doing TTK videos or being 'world first' to clear Surtur/Onslaught....

• 1Like

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
Good riddance to the old system, it's nothing but a vanilla(boring) +MoreStats AA system in an over designed and bloated interface. Originally it was pitched as being closer to the PoE tree, with actual build changing choices, but just looking back on how bad hero balance was then, can see why the system ended up as it is. The new system is going to be just as vanilla, but at least it'll be straight forward, and hopefully get rid of all the god damn proc-coefficient nodes that wouldn't even work for some heroes.

My only issue is the same as Byr, I don't see why the game needs an open ended AA system, is there really that much demand for such a feature? Granted I'm sure they'll sell XP potions to the few dozen hardcore players that actually think they're elite by doing TTK videos or being 'world first' to clear Surtur/Onslaught....

Eh, it's not exactly a +gooder system, as there are a lot of bad choices to make.

• 1Like

overbyte

Golden Knight of the Realm
I haven't played MH for the better part of a year now, but I've been sniffing around a bit when I heard they were doing some restructuring. For those who've been more active in the game, do the changes look like they'll be able to provide some more varied gameplay, particularly between different builds within the same hero choice?

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I haven't played MH for the better part of a year now, but I've been sniffing around a bit when I heard they were doing some restructuring. For those who've been more active in the game, do the changes look like they'll be able to provide some more varied gameplay, particularly between different builds within the same hero choice?

In the hands of a competent dev studio, sure.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Gav has battered-wife-syndrome with this game. 40something cosmic 60's, constantly saying (or implying) the game/devs/whom ever is terrible, lol.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Gav has battered-wife-syndrome with this game. 40something cosmic 60's, constantly saying (or implying) the game/devs/whom ever is terrible, lol.

They looked like they were starting to turn thing around with the rebrand this year, but then they kept releasing heroes when they needed another week or two of polish despite the fact that they were releasing half as many heroes this year, and they completely destroyed the economy of the game with 2 months straight of ridiculous super events (civil war into anniversary) where they dumped boss artifacts and armored cores into the game like candy. Then they re-hire Artofrawr, who was arguably the single worst dev to ever work on Marvel Heroes, and not too long after that announce they're doing a whole bunch of massive sweeping changes to the game.

I was pretty burned out after poopsocking like crazy for two months straight, but even now that the burnout is gone I have no real interest in the game, despite only having 6 more levels to go for 'The Answer'. In spite of all that I will still probably dump some cash on costumes during this years halloween sale, because MH is the only game where I've ever actually cared about purely cosmetic shit. But the more they talk about all these changes they're planning, the more I see a giant glowing neon sign flashing TRAINWRECK TRAINWRECK TRAINWRECK.

Also, the Heroes for Hire event was completely half-assed garbage and I have no reason to think the impending new Dr Strange event they're releasing on Halloween week will be any better.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
No I agree lately it's been half-assed, which is why I'm absorbed in shit like Talos Principle and Factorio among other things. But I still regularly come back to this game, its longevity has impressed me. Obviously that's subjective.

This revamp they're doing has its pros and cons. I don't like the dumbening (WoWization, Simpsons reference, whatever you want to use here), but at the same time, some of it seems neat, like the possibilities of these Omega items. Uniques really did pigeon-hole pretty much every hero, and any-hero uniques were LARGELY trash.

Also, I know the number of a good shelter, if you need it. :D

• 1Like

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
The massive update talk got me into playing again after only having played a few hours total before. The updates (particularly to the skill system) look super appealing to me. A lot of people are saying it's "dumbing down" but it looks like modernizing to me, making choices clean and clear instead of obfuscated behind an archaic point system. Part of the advantage would obviously be doing a pass on every single hero to hopefully line them up better with each other.

Hopefully Nightcrawler comes out OK cause right now he doesn't feel "bamfy" enough to me but he's not terrible either and he's like 90% of the reason I'll play this game.

Edit: I am a bit worried about the fact they did a bunch of big posts on the update all at once and it's been like a week of silence since the last one though, and they haven't covered the last big chunk (difficulty slider), and the timeline is still super vague (on PTR sometime end of October-ish?)

I'll probably get bored of the game as-is after a little longer but hopefully the big update isn't that far off

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
The best thing about MH being completely revamped is that next year they will just do something else.

• 1Like