Marvel Universe stuff

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Production budget was reported as $250 million. The ballpark figure multipliers that get used as a general guideline is based off production budget, not production and marketing.

The fact they're reporting an exact value to the dollar is immediately indicative of a dubious claim. No one but Disney has that information. You can't get a more precise outcome from a less precise input.
marketing is a big part of it, even if these guys dont count it. it can be 100-150 million dollars just to promotes these Marvel/Disney films. they fly these people all over the world to give interviews and promote the film. i dont know who still cares about those press junkets, but the studio thinks its important. none of that shit is free. its gotta be factored in.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
marketing is a big part of it, even if these guys dont count it. it can be 100-150 million dollars just to promotes these Marvel/Disney films. they fly these people all over the world to give interviews and promote the film. i dont know who still cares about those press junkets, but the studio thinks its important. none of that shit is free. its gotta be factored in.

I think he's saying the formula already takes marketing into account, not that it's just free money

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
Deadline will release numbers eventually which includes things like home rentals and streaming licenses. The advantage they have is they know more about the cuts the movie theaters take Disney takes more then others. First link shows while Avatar 2 cost over a billion it made back 1.6 when you factor in home purchases, rental, and streaming. "Participations" are back end for directors and actors in contracts, RDJ made a fortune with them in Iron Man, AFAIK only Cameron got em for Avatar so that $300 million was his salary.

Example:

View attachment 503682
View attachment 503683

They release em per movie though outside of April at times when they have the info
Cruise got $280MM for the last Top Gun movie? Am I reading that right? Also, he owns a production company which certainly got a cut.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Like Ambi said, the multiplier that's used already takes into account the idea of marketing. That said, given how much press MCU films do it's probably on the high side for the multiplier because of that.

Again, though, for outsiders it's a very large amount of guesswork with a lot of potential variance. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these are 15-30% wrong. I just don't like the idea that the image is promoting such precision when there's absolutely no way they can have that. We need some hacker to leak the real numbers for real schadenfreude.

Not to mention a lot of places provide subsidies/kickbacks/tax breaks in some form that don't always come across in the production budget number because they don't get realized until later.

Juvarisx

Florida
Cruise got $280MM for the last Top Gun movie? Am I reading that right? Also, he owns a production company which certainly got a cut.

Its a total, Cruise certainly didn't get that much himself but apparently it was not that far off, Cameron has never took a "salary" for his movies its always participations, so the movie can be made for a budget that makes sense (well made sense prior to Avatar lol).

Here you go for Top Gun

"The $280M in participations include for Kosinski, McQuarrie, Bruckheimer and certainly Cruise. Cruise landed what sources call an old-fashioned movie star deal, one of the best in history. While some tell us it’s well north of $100M, others tell us it’s double that of his best payday on Mission: Impossible, which would get him to $200M. Essentially, $12.5M against 10% of first-dollar gross with escalators that trigger when the movie hits certain box office benchmarks. The net profit of $391.1M is shared among Paramount, Skydance and New Republic."

Here is Way of Water, I was off about that $300 million just being Cameron it was also Producer Jon Landau (he is the reason Titanic got made)

"No filmmaker in the history of Hollywood has had three movies among the top 20 highest-grossing movies of all time, let alone the top 10. Not even Steven Spielberg as a director (you have to go to Jurassic Park at No. 32 with $1.1 billion). Cameron now has three of the top four. What do you pay a filmmaker like that? A payout that’s beyond normal. Sources tell us that a bulk of $300M in the Participations line goes to Cameron and producer Jon Landau. Cameron’s deal is believed to be 20% of first-dollar with escalations that get him to 50%. The actors, we hear, received crazy up-fronts in lieu of back-ends. Cameron received a reported $350M alone for Avatar, "

So He has made over $600 million just for directing two avatar movies and people wonder why he isnt doing other stuff

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm fine with Cameron making that much and doing Avatar movies, but they do need to focus on better writing for the story and dialogue, broh.

Make the same Marvel/DC/Avatar movies until they are in a retirement home, but make them good.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
"No filmmaker in the history of Hollywood has had three movies among the top 20 highest-grossing movies of all time, let alone the top 10. Not even Steven Spielberg as a director (you have to go to Jurassic Park at No. 32 with $1.1 billion). Cameron now has three of the top four. What do you pay a filmmaker like that? A payout that’s beyond normal. Sources tell us that a bulk of $300M in the Participations line goes to Cameron and producer Jon Landau. Cameron’s deal is believed to be 20% of first-dollar with escalations that get him to 50%. The actors, we hear, received crazy up-fronts in lieu of back-ends. Cameron received a reported $350M alone for Avatar, "

I kind of hate when these articles do this. Okay, sure, by dollar amount at the time it was released, Cameron is tops, but you can't ignore inflation. Spielberg's ET tops any of Cameron's films and Jaws is right there and has 4 of the top 22. Sure, it's never truly comparable (Spielberg surely didn't have to face the amount of consumer options Cameron does), but they should at least mention that in some way.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I had my doubts at first but now I think he's completely fucked. His lawyers played footage of him assaulting her to try and refute specific claims she made about the assault itself and there is a text from the previous year where he twists himself into knots to avoid admitting he hit her to which she responded

I still have some doubts about what he's charged with, but this definitively answered why the case wasn't tossed away like the media narrative was spinning. That whole "why is this case proceeding" narrative got thrown into the dumpster by all sides.

As it turns out the DA had plenty of basis to stay on Majors and get it to a jury.

• 2Like

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm not sure on the numbers but this is another graph. Godzilla Minus One is doing great. Also fuck off the GoTG haters !

Screenshot_2023-12-11-23-41-18-45_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like