Marvel Universe Stuff

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Fox is losing billions on FF, and they are going to have to produce another movie before 2019, or Marvel gets the rights back anyway.

Fox has longer than that to get another FF out to retain the rights. I think the rights are on an 8 year clock though the way those deals are normally structured there are production milestones that also have to be met. There was 8 years between Rise of the Silver Surfer and Trank's FF in any case.

Fadaar

That guy
I'm sure that they'll be looking to see how Spiderman: Homecoming does, now that he's in the MU (but Sony keeps the revenue he creates).

May 3, 2002 Spider-Man $821,706,375
Jun 30, 2004 Spider-Man 2 $783,705,001
May 4, 2007 Spider-Man 3 $890,875,303
Jul 3, 2012 The Amazing Spider-Man $757,890,267
May 2, 2014 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 $708,996,336

The only movie that bucked the downward trend was Spiderman 3, but that movie cost 140m more than SM1 and 60 more than SM2. Xmen has also followed this downward trend (at least before DoFP, I haven't seen the numbers since).

I don't think that Fox wants to sit there with FF on the shelf, when you have properties like Ant Man and Dr Strange making money hand over fist. Fox is losing billions on FF, and they are going to have to produce another movie before 2019, or Marvel gets the rights back anyway. Relations might be frosty, but money usually overcomes stuff like that.

Those Spider-Man numbers are a bit misleading though. If you discount international box office numbers (because #1 they aren't American and therefore don't matter and #2 because international audiences seem to have a much higher tolerance for shitty movies for some strange reason, see WarCraft and the two Amazing Spider-Man movies) Amazing SM2 made almost exactly half of what SM1 made domestically. OK maybe I was a bit harsh on the foreign audiences, but the massive uptake in foreign percentageIt's way worse when you account for inflation (All Time Box Office Adjusted for Ticket Price Inflation) which brings the ratio closer to 1:3 between ASM2 and original SM. Other movies in that top 200 that came out in 2012 gained about 10.4% between then and now, so you can bring the domestic numbers for ASM2 up to about $225M.

Long story short -- foreign audiences enable shitty movies because of the larger and larger percentage of box office numbers moving that direction every year. Case in fucking point, look at the foreign numbers for the Resident Evil series:

Resident Evil (2002) - Box Office Mojo 61%
Resident Evil: Apocalypse (2004) - Box Office Mojo 60.4%
Resident Evil: Extinction (2007) - Box Office Mojo 65.9%
Resident Evil: Afterlife (2010) - Box Office Mojo 80.0%
Resident Evil: Retribution (2012) - Box Office Mojo 82.4%
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (2017) - Box Office Mojo mother fucking 91.4%

Last edited:

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Amazing SM2 made almost exactly half of what SM1 made domestically.

My point...

Also, you aren't factoring the fact that international sales pay less of a percentage to the movie company than domestic.

Last edited:

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm not gonna get my hopes up or anything (and sorry for those of you that can't stand Chobot), but the fact it is even being mentioned is slightly encouraging. Particularly the part where Jackman said he'd come back as Wolverine only if he got to be an Avenger.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
That would be neat, but I would much rather the Fantastic Four return to Marvel. Or at least pull a Sony and allow Marvel to control the characters while Fox handles all distribution and earns all the profits.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Would be interesting to see what they cook up for that to work since every franchise including FF are in the current era, while the xmen cast they just rebooted with is technically in the "80's", unless they find an all new cast again for the marvel movies.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I wouldn't mind Fox handing Marvel some rights to FF characters (Doom, Galactus, Surfer, other cosmics), but I care not for another iteration of the FF. That's gotta be the most boringest mainstream superhero team. Two abortions is enough, thanks.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Well, both versions of Spider-Man were decent enough, even if the latest 2 movies were lacking in the overall revenue earning department, but I'm still REALLY happy with what Marvel has done with the character. I know they would knock Fantastic Four out of the park in that regard.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Well, both versions of Spider-Man were decent enough, even if the latest 2 movies were lacking in the overall revenue earning department, but I'm still REALLY happy with what Marvel has done with the character. I know they would knock Fantastic Four out of the park in that regard.

They have enough interesting properties, though. No need to revisit this particular wreck.

Also, you shut your whore mouth. Toby 1 and 2 meet your "decent enough" description, but Jean Ralphio's two movies were raging dumpster fires.

Royal

So Feige wants all of the Marvel movie properties under his roof?

Yeah, no shit. Him saying so isn't really a sign for encouragement like they're trying to spin it. And neither is the Hugh Jackman remark. That's the sort of thing someone says because they know it ain't ever gonna happen.

And I'm not sure that it even should really. Yeah the X-Men movies have been uneven, some of them fairly good while others were total shit, but would you ever get movies like Logan or Deadpool out of Marvel Studios, especially if they had owned them this entire time? I highly doubt it.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Venom, or Agent Venom? There you go Sony. Team up Flash Thompson with GotG and rake in the cash.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I really hope they've learned their lesson and it doesn't end up in the same shit show that Spider-Man 3 did. Seeing Tom Holland dance on that MTV show was enough, I don't need to see him acting as Peter Parker doing the same.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
They picked a good solid actor for it with the right physique. If only theyd get Damien Lewis for Carnage it would be so lit.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
So Feige wants all of the Marvel movie properties under his roof?

Yeah, no shit. Him saying so isn't really a sign for encouragement like they're trying to spin it. And neither is the Hugh Jackman remark. That's the sort of thing someone says because they know it ain't ever gonna happen.

And I'm not sure that it even should really. Yeah the X-Men movies have been uneven, some of them fairly good while others were total shit, but would you ever get movies like Logan or Deadpool out of Marvel Studios, especially if they had owned them this entire time? I highly doubt it.
Debbie Downer!

We all know the X-Men merge is unlikely to ever happen in our lifetime, but still, the possibility that FF might go over is actually kind of possible. I've seen several places that Constantin might actually own the rights to FF and just partners with Fox for distribution, since they don't actually make movies. If they decide they want out with some kind of profit, it is entirely possible that Fox can't do shit about it.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
I really have no idea how they are planning to do a full movie with Brock Venom especially without Spiderman, Agent Venom or hell even Space Knight Venom I can see. Is it just going to be 90 mins of him licking people while saying "We are Venom"? Because its not going to have the humor level that Deadpool had attached to its violence which is what made it hit big, it'll just be shredding people with no redeeming factors. Course they may end up going the Suicide Squad route and make an absolutely terrible villain movie.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

We all know the X-Men merge is unlikely to ever happen in our lifetime, but still, the possibility that FF might go over is actually kind of possible. I've seen several places that Constantin might actually own the rights to FF and just partners with Fox for distribution, since they don't actually make movies. If they decide they want out with some kind of profit, it is entirely possible that Fox can't do shit about it.

Fox "only" having distribution rights wouldn't change much because those are the rights that matter when it comes time to actually make money from a movie. And I don't think that is the case anyway. If it were Marvel wouldn't have had to work a deal with Fox just to use Ego in GotG2 and we would probably have seen more of those types of tertiary characters with a long history in the FF comics in the MCU by now.

Where it could be significant if Fox is limited to just distribution is if the actual rights holder decides to sell those rights and their existing deal with Fox doesn't include right of first refusal.

Last edited:

Royal

X-Men Spinoff New Mutants Will Be a Horror Movie

“We are making a full-fledged horror movie set within the X-Men universe. There are no costumes. There are no supervillains. We’re trying to do something very, very different.”

That's an interesting direction to go. I'm all for comic book movies making hybrids where they blend in heavy doses of other established genres. It's a good way to mix things up and keep the superhero theme from becoming stale. I'm just not a big horror fan. Though if they do superhero horror more in the vein of what Alien did with sci-fi horror then I'd be down with it. And I guess you could say Legion had a very light sprinkling of horror in it and I loved that show.

And they might be poaching away one of Marvel's Netflix actors as well:

Rosario Dawson in Talks to Star in X-Men Spinoff 'New Mutants'

Last edited: