Marvel Universe Stuff

wat

Golden Knight of the Realm
BREAKING NEWS: Indie/TV directors that have no clout and will do what they're told hired by Disney to direct bland but somewhat enjoyable franchise film. Female director chosen to stave of twitter outrage every time a white male director is hired.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Feige has a pretty good track record so far with the lower profile directors he's picked to helm various titles. If choosing them on the basis of how well they take marching orders is what's gotten us this far (hint: it isn't) then I say keep on keepin' on.

Royal

Feige said in an interview recently that after Phase 3 is complete they might not be doing phases anymore and that the MCU after the second Infinity War movie would be "very, very different".

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Zoe Saldana slipped and might have named the unnamed 4th Avengers movie.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I think it's what most of us were expecting anyway, so I wouldn't really call that a spoiler. More just a confirmation.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I don't disagree, Marvel was just going out of their way to not name it, even this past weekend saying the name of it was a spoiler for the 1st movie.

Royal

Yeah they're playing coy with the second part right now. Feige even tried to give the impression recently that Thanos might not even be in Part 2.

Though it is possible that they're using Gauntlet as a placeholder name and even the actors don't know the real title, to prevent anyone from letting it slip too soon.

Last edited:

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'm going to say no to that. It's reaching WAY too much to make sense. What's more likely the case is that Stan Lee as a person is exempt from whatever franchise deals are in place, so he can play whoever he wants in any movie.

Royal

The idea that Stan Lee has been playing the role of a Watcherlike figure in all of his various cameos has been around for a while. I remember it being mentioned in one of the commentaries for one of the earlier movies.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm going to say no to that. It's reaching WAY too much to make sense. What's more likely the case is that Stan Lee as a person is exempt from whatever franchise deals are in place, so he can play whoever he wants in any movie.

Stan Lee may be exempt, but the Watchers and Ego's movie rights are owned by Fox. That's the issue. If Fox will loan some characters, why not the FF? They aren't making any money on them, they are on the shelf. And if they don't make another FF movie in the next two years, the rights revert back to Disney/Marvel. That's in their contract, the last time it was made public.

Royal

I suspect that as far as the movie rights are concerned the situation with the Watchers is much like that with the skrulls. Fox has the rights to some if not all of the specific Watchers that existed at the time they they acquired the rights to the FF but the Watchers as a race of beings can be used by Disney/Marvel as well. As long as they don't name drop something like Uatu in association with Stan Lee in one of their movies it's probably fine for them to depict him as a Watcher.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I suspect that as far as the movie rights are concerned the situation with the Watchers is much like that with the skrulls. Fox has the rights to some if not all of the specific Watchers that existed at the time they they acquired the rights to the FF but the Watchers as a race of beings can be used by Disney/Marvel as well. As long as they don't name drop something like Uatu in association with Stan Lee in one of their movies it's probably fine for them to depict him as a Watcher.

Except that doesn't apply to Ego, does it? In the movie, they specifically referred to him as Ego the Living Planet. He is 100% owned by Fox if it's movies. Hopefully this harkens to Fox and Disney working together on other characters.

Royal

Except that doesn't apply to Ego, does it? In the movie, they specifically referred to him as Ego the Living Planet. He is 100% owned by Fox if it's movies. Hopefully this harkens to Fox and Disney working together on other characters.

No Marvel worked a deal with Fox for the rights to Ego involving Negasonic Teenage Warhead in Deadpool.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
No Marvel worked a deal with Fox for the rights to Ego involving Negasonic Teenage Warhead in Deadpool.

...which means that Fox may be more open to working out deals from now on.

This only furthers my point.

When Spiderman comes out and does $1.2B, I bet they'll be open further.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

...which means that Fox may be more open to working out deals from now on.

This only furthers my point.

When Spiderman comes out and does $1.2B, I bet they'll be open further.

It's certainly possible. Though I think Fox probably looked at Ego and figured they would have little use for such an odd, niche character anytime soon, so they were much more willing to deal the rights away.

Still, the relationship between Fox and Marvel is pretty chilly. Marvel has gone out of it's way on the comic book and merchandising end to marginalize the properties that Fox has the movie rights to and don't think that Fox hasn't noticed.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's certainly possible. Though I think Fox probably looked at Ego and figured they would have little use for such an odd, niche character anytime soon, so they were much more willing to deal the rights away.

Still, the relationship between Fox and Marvel is pretty chilly. Marvel has gone out of it's way on the comic book and merchandising end to marginalize the properties that Fox has the movie rights to and don't think that Fox hasn't noticed.

I'm sure that they'll be looking to see how Spiderman: Homecoming does, now that he's in the MU (but Sony keeps the revenue he creates).

May 3, 2002 Spider-Man $821,706,375
Jun 30, 2004 Spider-Man 2 $783,705,001
May 4, 2007 Spider-Man 3 $890,875,303
Jul 3, 2012 The Amazing Spider-Man $757,890,267
May 2, 2014 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 $708,996,336

The only movie that bucked the downward trend was Spiderman 3, but that movie cost 140m more than SM1 and 60 more than SM2. Xmen has also followed this downward trend (at least before DoFP, I haven't seen the numbers since).

I don't think that Fox wants to sit there with FF on the shelf, when you have properties like Ant Man and Dr Strange making money hand over fist. Fox is losing billions on FF, and they are going to have to produce another movie before 2019, or Marvel gets the rights back anyway. Relations might be frosty, but money usually overcomes stuff like that.