Mass Effect: Andromeda - Autism reaches outer space

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Know what really bothers me? The fact that when you get to Andromeda 14 months after the ark you already have millions of humans out if stasis that immediately turn into fucking criminals and revolt.

They literally talk about the best and brightest and how they hand pick these people but for every 1 npc on the Nexus you have 100 rando criminals on kaladara.

Like, am I being shot at by doctors and engineers? They came all the way 650 years in space to immediately start murdering and collecting space junk?

They literally hand wave this shit with a five second conversation about cyro fucking with your hormones then never mention it again.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. In order to make the sausage, you have to slaughter the pigs. I understand that ME fans were gonna make this game. But in order to do that, you have to know what kind'a state you left the MW in when the last game ended, which was utter turmoil.

You had better go into this game (within the first half an hour) of utter turmoil. The mutiny is a good place to start. What do we get? "Oh no, the mutiny already happened. This is broke, fix it." Fuck BioWare, and their god damned shitty story, too.

spronk

FPS noob
i woulda loved a game where you play a peaceful alien species just doing science stuff on a space station, then suddenly 4 gigantic ark ships full of assholes blow into your galaxy and the rest of the game is you trying to communicate with them, they just straight up kill your people, and you declare a galaxy jihad on them and exterminate them down to the last tranny

the game ends with you discovering a giant silent squid like space ship floating dark and turned off in the middle of nowhere

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
I'm back to playing the original Trilogy I just wanted to point out yet another pet peeve about this shit was the damn ship designs.

It's clear that no one with any goddamn talent or intelligence was involved in making this game on any fucking level, but they couldn't even google up pictures for a rational base line?

Look at the tempest, clearly a normandy knock off. But they had to make it "unique" so they changed the landing gears.

So the front 70% of the craft has no structural support whatsoever. The main landing gear ALSO HAPPENS TO BE THE RAMP, and then the back 2 are under each engine....

Either all of the weight of the craft is in the engines meaning the craft would instantly spin out and explode in fiery death the moment you turned it on (regardless of any mass effect field mumbojumbo used to explain this design) it would be like driving a segway while holding a 100 foot lance in front of you, shit would flip over instantly and you'd go pole vaulting. Or the weight is rationally distributed, and they do use mass effect fields to keep the ship from toppling over, meaning it falls the fuck over the moment you turn the engines off, due to CG.

But in that scenario your damn RAMP still takes 80% of the goddamn load of the aircraft while it's on the ground, and that's the ramp you have to open in space at any time you want to exfil/infil with your damn shuttles.

goddamn i'm convinced there is 0 talent left at bioware it's run by diversity committees hipsters and SJWs, who refuse to entertain "talent/skill privilege" and hired a bunch of mongoloids to make this game.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
i woulda loved a game where you play a peaceful alien species just doing science stuff on a space station, then suddenly 4 gigantic ark ships full of assholes blow into your galaxy and the rest of the game is you trying to communicate with them, they just straight up kill your people, and you declare a galaxy jihad on them and exterminate them down to the last tranny

the game ends with you discovering a giant silent squid like space ship floating dark and turned off in the middle of nowhere

Seriously. This would be epic. We play the alien race so we can kill all these human characters who invaded Andromeda? With a DLC pack to hunt down that "My name is Stephen" NPC and watch it scream all over the place running around an empty Nexus or whatever you want to call it. Interrupt conversations too. "My face is tir...." WHAM.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Look at the tempest, clearly a normandy knock off. But they had to make it "unique" so they changed the landing gears.

So the front 70% of the craft has no structural support whatsoever. The main landing gear ALSO HAPPENS TO BE THE RAMP, and then the back 2 are under each engine....

Unrealistic landing gear is actually pretty common in Sci-Fi, especially with the landing gear being the ramp.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Seriously. This would be epic. We play the alien race so we can kill all these human characters who invaded Andromeda? With a DLC pack to hunt down that "My name is Stephen" NPC and watch it scream all over the place running around an empty Nexus or whatever you want to call it. Interrupt conversations too. "My face is tir...." WHAM.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• 1Smuggly
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm back to playing the original Trilogy I just wanted to point out yet another pet peeve about this shit was the damn ship designs.

It's clear that no one with any goddamn talent or intelligence was involved in making this game on any fucking level, but they couldn't even google up pictures for a rational base line?

Either all of the weight of the craft is in the engines meaning the craft would instantly spin out and explode in fiery death the moment you turned it on (regardless of any mass effect field mumbojumbo used to explain this design) it would be like driving a segway while holding a 100 foot lance in front of you, shit would flip over instantly and you'd go pole vaulting. Or the weight is rationally distributed, and they do use mass effect fields to keep the ship from toppling over, meaning it falls the fuck over the moment you turn the engines off, due to CG.

But in that scenario your damn RAMP still takes 80% of the goddamn load of the aircraft while it's on the ground, and that's the ramp you have to open in space at any time you want to exfil/infil with your damn shuttles.

goddamn i'm convinced there is 0 talent left at bioware it's run by diversity committees hipsters and SJWs, who refuse to entertain "talent/skill privilege" and hired a bunch of mongoloids to make this game.

If you watch the take off of the tempest on planets like kadara port you can see there are banks of thrusters along the "neck" of the ship presumably to help keep it from spinning ass over teakettle. Also given all the engineering/vehicle bays/power plants and main engines are all in the back section it is not unreasonable that the bulk of the ships weight is there. The front boom is mostly a hallway with some small living quarters and storage.

and as others have mentioned weird not practical landing gear is not something that unusual in scifi stuff.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
If you watch the take off of the tempest on planets like kadara port you can see there are banks of thrusters along the "neck" of the ship presumably to help keep it from spinning ass over teakettle. Also given all the engineering/vehicle bays/power plants and main engines are all in the back section it is not unreasonable that the bulk of the ships weight is there. The front boom is mostly a hallway with some small living quarters and storage.

and as others have mentioned weird not practical landing gear is not something that unusual in scifi stuff.

I wish this was all anyone had to complain about with this game.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>

A) Shut the fuck up faggot there is no defending this gutter trash.
B) Shut the fuck up faggot you are wrong. The cockpit is clearly at the front of the ship as you can see from inside. Now normally a little creative leeway is given for scaling interiors to exteriors and as long as it's logical it doesn't need to be precise. But in your failed attempt to justify this piece of shit game you bring up yet another hilarious blunder of theirs. The interior level design of the fake Normandy doesn't even attempt to match the exterior frame. It's basically a cliche in video games and a senior designer you'd say was doing it ironically, but these faggots didn't even consider it because this is obviously there first video game ever.

Pieces of shit like you cost me 43 fucking dollars and I'll be damned if I'll let you trick another poster.

Anyone posting shit about how the game is ok, mediocre, bad but not as bad as the reviews, etc are fucking lying pieces of shit.

I can handle mediocre, np. I can even handle "bad but not that bad". I can forgive shitty graphics for a good story, tedious gameplay design if it has good combat, and shit stories if the gameplay and combat are alright. This game is absolute shit, period.

This game has NO REDEEMING QUALITIES. Everything about it is terrible. I wouldn't even waste my damn unlimited bandwidth to steal this shit.

• 3Like
  • 2Salty

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
If you find yourself that triggered by a fantastically designed space ship it may be time to put the video games down for a while.

P.S. Before you fucking flip your shit, I'm using 'fantastically' in the "in a strange or exotic way" not in the "extraordinarily well" way.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
A) Shut the fuck up faggot there is no defending this gutter trash.
B) Shut the fuck up faggot you are wrong. The cockpit is clearly at the front of the ship as you can see from inside. Now normally a little creative leeway is given for scaling interiors to exteriors and as long as it's logical it doesn't need to be precise. But in your failed attempt to justify this piece of shit game you bring up yet another hilarious blunder of theirs. The interior level design of the fake Normandy doesn't even attempt to match the exterior frame. It's basically a cliche in video games and a senior designer you'd say was doing it ironically, but these faggots didn't even consider it because this is obviously there first video game ever.

Pieces of shit like you cost me 43 fucking dollars and I'll be damned if I'll let you trick another poster.

Anyone posting shit about how the game is ok, mediocre, bad but not as bad as the reviews, etc are fucking lying pieces of shit.

I can handle mediocre, np. I can even handle "bad but not that bad". I can forgive shitty graphics for a good story, tedious gameplay design if it has good combat, and shit stories if the gameplay and combat are alright. This game is absolute shit, period.

This game has NO REDEEMING QUALITIES. Everything about it is terrible. I wouldn't even waste my damn unlimited bandwidth to steal this shit.
I had a super long reply typed up to this but my ADD was showing.

Basically - 9 times out of 10, you would be the "faggot" for responding like this in a thread for the game, and to a casual comment. If you don't like the game, get the fuck out of the thread (and typically, the people that dont are the infamous forum dickheads)

HOWEVER, the fact that you didn't play the games before and you just fucking marathoned through them and got to the most recent version and this is your reaction to It? I put more value in that experience than I do in people's complaints with the ending of 3 or any of the other bullshit that I never pay attention to anyways.

Fuck this game, and fuck this thread's chances of being about anything other than shitting all over it.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

goishen

Macho Ma'am
The game objectively has some problems with it, to say the least. Now, we can argue all day long if that is 'cause the game is a dumpster fire or if it's 'cause the game has some problems. However, I tend to think less of the latter opinion, just because I think less of the people that hold that opinion.

But yeh, you're absolutely correct that we shouldn't work ourselves into a lather of frothing energy. But when BioWare releases something so good, for them to release something so fucking dumpster fire worthy, it's just like, you too? As in, you too are more than willing to release shitty games? You too are willing to release games with this content? You too are willing to release games with more bugs than Indiana Jones? *shrug* It should really be a surprise to no one the hate that BioWare is getting right now.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Fuck this game, and fuck this thread's chances of being about anything other than shitting all over it.

There was no chance this thread would have been anything but shitting all over this game, and rightfully so. Although I like both Kaid and Sylas.

On one hand, people like shitty games. (It's hard to tell if they are a sincere, a shill, or work for the company and are scapegoating their bullshit because all three of those types post here) And on the other, there is no question this thing should be ripped to fucking shreds anytime someone feels like it because I also think people that love games get sick of someone trying to single out one positive aspect of a game while there are 35 others that are the worst ever created. That, to me, is the talk of a developer and how the mindset of the industry thinks to cover their own ass.

Either the sum of the parts work as a whole, or they don't. And there is no pissing around it. In this case, the only spoke of the wheel worth mentioning was the atmospheric sky boxes and planet atmosphere, and everything else was one gigantic pile of shit. It would be like saying, "Hey that meal wasn't terrible at all. I had ice in my soft drink"

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Here is my "Clean" review of this game, to educate and inform people who, like me, was on the fence and "didn't mind the sjw-ness since that's been a staple of Bioware games for forever". I thought, if it bothers you just ignore the romance options, nbd right?

Bioware is dead. Nobody who was involved in making any of their previous games is still around, they've all jumped ship or got "problematic" harassment lawsuited out of the business. This game was designed by a diversity committee with no experience at making video games. That is the only way to explain this.

Here is how the game was designed:

This new team looked at statistics for the original 3 games, having never played those games before, they had to go by statistics.

What did players spend the most time doing in Mass Effect 1? Well, it says here that a significant chunk of the game play was driving around in very sparsely populated open world maps in this clunky little tank thing, looking for resources and upgrades. Oh great, so lets make sure to include that, players obviously loved that aspect since they spent a lot of time doing it.

What else did they do? Well they spent a lot of time looting things and managing their inventories via a clunky interface, so let's make sure to include that too.

Ok great, got everything we need from the Original, what about Mass Effect 2?

Well, players spent a disproportionate amount of time scanning planets for resources through a clunky interface. Really? Man the players really love to scan for resources. Ok great, let's not just copy the original, let's improve upon this by having you scan from your omnitool at all times! They will love this!

What about 3? Well it looks like players all loved multiplayer! it seems like everyone did that no matter what! let's make sure to design this game around multiplayer too! We can save a lot of development time by just designing multiplayer and piggybacking that in to the single player experience, since that's what players spent a lot of time doing in 3. They also spent a lot of time flying back and forth to different planets to turn in quests in 3, should we include that too? Why not, stats say thats what players spent their time doing, it must be what they like about it, right? Oh, theres been a lot of forum chatter about uncontrollable actions during cut scenes? i didn't actually read the threads, just a lot of players are talking about it! Ok cool let's make sure to include that as well.

At some point someone actually sat down and tried to play one of the Mass Effect games, but having no experience playing video games, died a lot. I don't like it, they said, i have to press space bar to hide behind things? Why am I hiding? Let's make space bar jump really high in to the air with a jump pack! we can add platforming and jump puzzles in to the game too!

Yeah, that's great and all. but you know what this game really needs? I mean we have the players collecting all these various resources from basically every aspect of play, we need to add MMO-inspired Tradeskill/crafting to this game! that would really separate us from the pack!

And that's how Andromeda was made. By people who've never played video games.

The game has nothing to do with Mass Effect. The hate (all of which is legitimate, btw) about the clunky UI or the hideous characters or laughable story line or disastrous animations, that's all window dressing. The CORE GAME PLAY is just wrong.

At it's heart, Mass Effect is a Level Based Cover shooter, with additional elements that prolong and extend gameplay. Over the course of the original trilogy systems are tweaked and changed, to reduce the tedium of these additional elements, to streamline the gameplay to support the core system which is a level based cover shooter.

Andromeda is none of these things. The core gameplay is not a shooter, it's "Exploration" ie all the tedium from the original games dialed up to 11. Occasionally you have to fight things, but that is just window dressing to support scanning. Even the minigames are back! Remember in 1, you had a couple of minigames, a frogger style one, and a simon says one? They "improved" upon that in 2, a memory style game and a match this symbol one? It took until 3 for them to realize how lame that was and just removed them. But they are back in Andromeda, hope you like Sudoku.

The Core game play is driving around in a car from Mass Effect 1, using the Mass Effect 2 scan system to find minerals, combined with getting out of your car so you can scan things with your omnitool, all while being directed what to do at every step of the way with a Super EDI that's implanted directly in to your brain which will not shut up, ever.

THAT is this game's core gameplay. It is NOT a level based cover shooter. It's not even a Shooter. It's a walking/driving/resource gathering simulator. Combat is just window dressing that occasionally occurs that gets in the way of the walking simulator.

I've said it before but I'll repeat myself so that it's not lost: This game is everything you hated or found annoying about the original games, and that's it. And while in the original trilogy they added new systems to improve upon the old ones, this one doesn't. It just adds all of them back in, and worse than the original.

Just because the trailers show you combat don't make the mistake I did in assuming that "well I can handle the crap and the tedium as long as I get some good combat", because you don't. Combat is less than 10% of this game, it's sparse, it's short lived, and it's irrelevant. Also the combat sucks compared to the previous games.

Last edited:
  • 5Like

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Here is my "Clean" review of this game, to educate and inform people who, like me, was on the fence and "didn't mind the sjw-ness since that's been a staple of Bioware games for forever". I thought, if it bothers you just ignore the romance options, nbd right?

Bioware is dead. Nobody who was involved in making any of their previous games is still around, they've all jumped ship or got "problematic" harassment lawsuited out of the business. This game was designed by a diversity committee with no experience at making video games. That is the only way to explain this.

Here is how the game was designed:

This new team looked at statistics for the original 3 games, having never played those games before, they had to go by statistics.

What did players spend the most time doing in Mass Effect 1? Well, it says here that a significant chunk of the game play was driving around in very sparsely populated open world maps in this clunky little tank thing, looking for resources and upgrades. Oh great, so lets make sure to include that, players obviously loved that aspect since they spent a lot of time doing it.

What else did they do? Well they spent a lot of time looting things and managing their inventories via a clunky interface, so let's make sure to include that too.

Ok great, got everything we need from the Original, what about Mass Effect 2?

Well, players spent a disproportionate amount of time scanning planets for resources through a clunky interface. Really? Man the players really love to scan for resources. Ok great, let's not just copy the original, let's improve upon this by having you scan from your omnitool at all times! They will love this!

What about 3? Well it looks like players all loved multiplayer! it seems like everyone did that no matter what! let's make sure to design this game around multiplayer too! We can save a lot of development time by just designing multiplayer and piggybacking that in to the single player experience, since that's what players spent a lot of time doing in 3. They also spent a lot of time flying back and forth to different planets to turn in quests in 3, should we include that too? Why not, stats say thats what players spent their time doing, it must be what they like about it, right? Oh, theres been a lot of forum chatter about uncontrollable actions during cut scenes? i didn't actually read the threads, just a lot of players are talking about it! Ok cool let's make sure to include that as well.

At some point someone actually sat down and tried to play one of the Mass Effect games, but having no experience playing video games, died a lot. I don't like it, they said, i have to press space bar to hide behind things? Why am I hiding? Let's make space bar jump really high in to the air with a jump pack! we can add platforming and jump puzzles in to the game too!

Yeah, that's great and all. but you know what this game really needs? I mean we have the players collecting all these various resources from basically every aspect of play, we need to add MMO-inspired Tradeskill/crafting to this game! that would really separate us from the pack!

And that's how Andromeda was made. By people who've never played video games.

The game has nothing to do with Mass Effect. The hate (all of which is legitimate, btw) about the clunky UI or the hideous characters or laughable story line or disastrous animations, that's all window dressing. The CORE GAME PLAY is just wrong.

At it's heart, Mass Effect is a Level Based Cover shooter, with additional elements that prolong and extend gameplay. Over the course of the original trilogy systems are tweaked and changed, to reduce the tedium of these additional elements, to streamline the gameplay to support the core system which is a level based cover shooter.

Andromeda is none of these things. The core gameplay is not a shooter, it's "Exploration" ie all the tedium from the original games dialed up to 11. Occasionally you have to fight things, but that is just window dressing to support scanning. Even the minigames are back! Remember in 1, you had a couple of minigames, a frogger style one, and a simon says one? They "improved" upon that in 2, a memory style game and a match this symbol one? It took until 3 for them to realize how lame that was and just removed them. But they are back in Andromeda, hope you like Sudoku.

The Core game play is driving around in a car from Mass Effect 1, using the Mass Effect 2 scan system to find minerals, combined with getting out of your car so you can scan things with your omnitool, all while being directed what to do at every step of the way with a Super EDI that's implanted directly in to your brain which will not shut up, ever.

THAT is this game's core gameplay. It is NOT a level based cover shooter. It's not even a Shooter. It's a walking/driving/resource gathering simulator. Combat is just window dressing that occasionally occurs that gets in the way of the walking simulator.

I've said it before but I'll repeat myself so that it's not lost: This game is everything you hated or found annoying about the original games, and that's it. And while in the original trilogy they added new systems to improve upon the old ones, this one doesn't. It just adds all of them back in, and worse than the original.

Just because the trailers show you combat don't make the mistake I did in assuming that "well I can handle the crap and the tedium as long as I get some good combat", because you don't. Combat is less than 10% of this game, it's sparse, it's short lived, and it's irrelevant. Also the combat sucks compared to the previous games.

Mass effect 1 was the least "shooter-ish" of all 4. The combat system in Andromeda is the same as 3 with slight modifications and I am having quite a bit of fun with it as an Adept. ( no where near as interesting as ME1 but those days are gone ).

I guess you are looking for more shooting and less exploration, you are right about that after all the game is about discovering / settling in a new galaxy not defending from invasion.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I don't think so. But who cares? Mass Effect is dead to me now. All it takes is one shitty release of a SW:TOR expansion material repainted as Mass Effect, and I'm done. "Go collect 10 bear assholes." Why don't you go collect them and give me my Mass Effect?

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Mass effect 1 was the least "shooter-ish" of all 4. The combat system in Andromeda is the same as 3 with slight modifications and I am having quite a bit of fun with it as an Adept. ( no where near as interesting as ME1 but those days are gone ).

I guess you are looking for more shooting and less exploration, you are right about that after all the game is about discovering / settling in a new galaxy not defending from invasion.

Another lying liar trying to justify this shit, don't listen to him.

From his description it sounds like it's a shooter, and it's similar to ME3. This is patently false.

While the systems may be similar to ME3 (they aren't, but lets pretend they are) ME3 was just an improved ME2 cover shooter experience. Andromeda is a downgraded ME1 experience, minus the shooter portion.

Imagine if Mass Effect 1 had no levels. I don't mean character levels, I mean "maps". Imagine if the entire experience was just you landing on largely empty planets in the Mako, driving around looking for resources to scan, occasionally having to hop out to go inside a building, mini-game yourself up some other resources, and very, very rarely having to shoot at some enemies, but without the cover system.

Now add ME2's planet scanning system, but it's part of the mako. You don't move your mouse around looking for resources on a planet, you drive the cumbersome shit-controls mako around watching your scanner for it to ping just like in ME2, dealing with terrain and objects in the world interfering with your placement.

Now take the cannon off of the mako, it's just a car. And it's worse than the Mako.

Now add tradeskilling on top of it.

Missions have been replaced with basic fetch MMO style quests in an open world mako map.

And that's the game. There are no levels, it's no longer a shooter, much less a cover based shooter. It's mostly a driving simulator. But there's also a walking simulator too, since you also have to walk slowly to scan with your omnitool for everything.

it's a joke. ME1 is 10x the shooter that this shit was, and ME1 they didn't even know what they were making til they made it. It still had a lot of RPG roots in it, it was more like an RPG in space, and it's still a vastly superior shooter experience to this garbage.

Last edited: