Mass Effect: Andromeda - Autism reaches outer space

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I went through a phase where I cared about 100%ing games then I realized I was spending way less time actually enjoying the games I was playing. I went and got one achievement in as many games as possible to ruin my percentage and it broke me of my addiction. It was very freeing.

Edit: I realize this part of the conversation is a few weeks old now. That's what I get for not looking at the page numbers.

To me, it's just an indicator that I've not really missed anything of value in the game. In the pre-trophy days I'd always find out about some little easter egg or event that I missed and never went back for (or did eons later - ChronoTrigger I didn't start working on alternate endings until something like 4 yrs later... didn't realize they were a thing) - since being a completionist I rarely find out about an ending or event that I missed - yea, sometimes there's some stupid shit involved and I generally completely skip MP only trophies - but they're not really anything you can "miss" persay.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
To me, it's just an indicator that I've not really missed anything of value in the game. In the pre-trophy days I'd always find out about some little easter egg or event that I missed and never went back for (or did eons later - ChronoTrigger I didn't start working on alternate endings until something like 4 yrs later... didn't realize they were a thing) - since being a completionist I rarely find out about an ending or event that I missed - yea, sometimes there's some stupid shit involved and I generally completely skip MP only trophies - but they're not really anything you can "miss" persay.

Yeah, that's often a reason I told myself, too. There were definitely some games where achievements are well thought out to actually reflect full game exploration. But I found it a lot harder to justify the "Do thing you've already done X times" achievements that you wouldn't even be close to getting from regular gameplay.

I remember one in Van Helsing where you had to kill 50K or 500K creatures and even after playing through the game three times I wasn't close. I went to a particular area where tiny mobs infinity respawned with a character made explicitly for this purpose (healing and reflect damage gear) and AFKed for something like a day. Or in Torchlight 2 I made an AutoHotKey script to do the sell 50K items and fishing achievements (or whatever they are). And even automated those took many hours. Doing any of these manually would have taken so much time for nothing.

That, in retrospect, seems absolutely crazy to me now.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I am expecting they will announce the inevitable DLC / plot extension sometime in the next week or so.

I don't give a fuck if they get a cute female nurse to give me a happy ending, I'm still not playing their shitty expansion. Even if it rocks, even if it's better than all of the writing of the ME trilogy, even if it's better than KOTOR. If I have to play through 100 hours of shit to play maybe 20 hours of something good? I'm not gonna put the time into it.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah I killed Ashley this time around, Kaidan is a much more useful character in ME3 anyway.

Interesting tidbit: One of the only decisions from previous games that has any meaningful impact on ME3 is the decision to romance Kaidan or Ashley in ME1 and then 'cheat' on them in ME2. If you do that, it's slightly harder to convince them to stand down in the final confrontation during the Citadel coup, and obviously if you have to kill them they won't be joining your party.

Fadaar

That guy
I never let Kaidan live past ME1. If I played male Shep and let him live + was always nice to him, is he still a raging retard in ME3 like Ashley was?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I never let Kaidan live past ME1. If I played male Shep and let him live + was always nice to him, is he still a raging retard in ME3 like Ashley was?

He stood down pretty quickly when I did the scene yesterday, much faster than I remember Ashley standing down in other playthroughs. If you mean in general, then yes he's still all 'how could you work for Cerberus' up until the coup just like Ashley is, but he seems less of a moron during the final confrontation.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
In my main playthrough I let Ashley die for many of the reasons above and because I was hoping to romance Kaidan (not knowing at the time this was not possible). Managed to avoid any romantic relationships at all in ME1 or ME2 and then got it on with Kaidan in ME3 after he admitted he had a thing for me too. It was nicely written, far better than the business with Gil in ME:A

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Gil in ME:A was

I once let Kaiden live. Never again. Most boring shit through the end of the game. This is including Jacob.

norp

Bronze Squire
Guys, guys... can't we all just agree that both Ashley and Kaiden are horrible characters?

Still sad they ruined Mass Effect. My play-through right before Andromeda made me remember why I loved the franchise, especially after playing the party/evil twin dlc. That was some good shit.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Guys, guys... can't we all just agree that both Ashley and Kaiden are horrible characters?

Still sad they ruined Mass Effect. My play-through right before Andromeda made me remember why I loved the franchise, especially after playing the party/evil twin dlc. That was some good shit.

And then you played Andromeda and it made Ashley and Kaiden look like Oscar winners.

• 1Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Fuck, it made them look like Raging Bull compared to their Street Fighter (the movie) performance.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I just finished assaulting the Cerberus base and I find myself not caring enough to finish the game ><

goishen

Macho Ma'am
In which game? The third?

If so, you should just go ahead and plow on through it. It's... Kind'a worth it at the end. People have varying opinions. But, IMO, have Leviathan and the Citadel installed and complete those. Those two are more than worth it to make for the somewhat shitty ending.

spronk

FPS noob
I assume this means sales were not great

http://kotaku.com/sources-bioware-montreal-downsized-mass-effect-put-on-1795100285
In the wake of BioWare’s polarizing Mass Effect: Andromeda, fans have wondered where the lauded sci-fi series will go next. The answer, according to people familiar with the studio, is nowhere—at least for the time being. BioWare has put Mass Effect on hiatus and turned Andromeda’s developer, BioWare Montreal, into a support studio, according to four sources close to the company.

Last month, a number of BioWare Montreal employees were transferred to the studio EA Motive, also based in Montreal, to work on Star Wars Battlefront II. Those remaining at BioWare Montreal will help support BioWare’s other games including the new intellectual property, code-named Dylan, which we expect the company to announce at E3. BioWare Montreal will also continue to patch and support Andromeda’s multiplayer.

That doesn’t mean there will never be another Mass Effect game, of course. It’s unlikely that BioWare will kill the popular sci-fi franchise. But BioWare is letting Mass Effect sit for a while rather than putting staff on Andromeda’s follow-up right away, those sources said.

• 1Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Now, sources say, BioWare Montreal is significantly smaller than it was just a few months ago. Those who didn’t go to Motive will help out with BioWare’s other projects rather than incubating and developing their own.

I guess it all comes down to what you take significantly smaller to mean. I know that they hired on a bunch'a contract people for Andromeda and those have all been let go, but I'm thinking it's more than that.

Thinking EA's about to axe Montreal.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
God damn everything about the ending is just stupid garbage. It's such poorly written crap that it actually makes the indoctrination theory plausible. And as much as I like the indoctrination theory, it's far simpler to think that despite all the Matrix style implications that the Crucible is just another form of control (similar to how the Reapers use the Citadel and mass relays to influence how galactic civilization develops in the first place), it was just a bunch of incompetent hacks who thought everybody would be so amazed by their shit story.

Seriously though. Why the fuck does the area of the final rush to the beam (which itself makes no sense) look almost exactly like Shepard's nightmares? Why does the conduit drop you off in a random hallway full of rotting corpses? Why does it take Anderson someplace different? Why are there just piles of rotting corpses in hallways in the first place? Why can't you shoot the two keepers in the corpse hallways? How the fuck does the Illusive Man suddenly have the ability to control Shepard through his implants? Why does the Star-Child look exactly like that little kid that nobody but Shepard could see during the intro sequence? Seriously, Anderson couldn't hear the kid despite only being a couple feet away from Shepard and none of the people on that shuttle reached down to help the kid up. Why the fuck does Shepard's voice echo in the background when the Star-Child is speaking?

Blah. And no, all the people who say that the ending was the only thing wrong with ME3 are still wrong.