Minecraft

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Found a pretty good custom server that I've been playing on that's a lot of fun. It's got lots of dungeon mods to explore, as well as a variety of monsters(Laser creepers, flYing spiders, dinosaurs, etc.). The difficulty is reasonable; it can be easy if you just want to wall yourself off, or you can go into a swamp biome where Liches spawn in packs, or find a dungeon to explore. The owner also keeps it up to date and is around daily, and the lag is extremely minimal.

Just search the curse launcher for Grimdark. (Technic pack too, but he doesn't update that right away)

Server ip is 158.69.23.153:25565

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've found the mobile editions (phone and tablet) unplayable..
Then at church the kids, oldest 7, all had tablets, running around, riding horses, and building houses like pros.
Felt so old

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Minecraft Marketplace and Currency

Microsoft is giving paid modding a crack for Minecraft as well as using their own Coin currency you have to buy to pay for the mods. I expect this to be about as popular as the Steam/Bethesda attempt while damaging the MC modding community about as much.

Edit: This appears to be for the Windows 10/Pocket edition. So I guess that will have less of an impact since literally no one bothers modding those editions

Rime

<Donor>
Pre-whatever-the-patch-that-fucked-combat Minecraft is still loads of fun. Slogging through a Project Ozone 2 game with two friends. Like 60 hours x3 in and we are almost ready to leave the first planet!

Current edition Minecraft with the stupid combat change is aids, however.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Ya i'm still playing Infinity Evo Skyblock(1.7.10) getting ready too start on the Creative Items, gotta automate that dragon killing...

vehn

Silver Knight of the Realm
If anyone is playing on the Nintendo switch version (that came out yesterday), add me. Trying to build a nice city by the sea.

Sw-5410-7310-8057

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Chanced by direwolf20's channel this weekend, and noticed a couple of "packs" that might be interesting. One was called Crash Landing I think, and the other was Invasion. Anyone still playing and have any recommendations about stuff like that? They are basically built so you have to complete a bunch of quests to progress instead of just mine the shit out of the world and automate until you get bored.

I'm talking single/duo player, not an entire server. I've kind of got the itch to play again, but I know after I watch some videos to learn wtf is new since I played a couple years ago, I'll just get bored before I even get anything really fancy set up. The scenario idea really appeals to me in that respect.

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Chanced by direwolf20's channel this weekend, and noticed a couple of "packs" that might be interesting. One was called Crash Landing I think, and the other was Invasion. Anyone still playing and have any recommendations about stuff like that? They are basically built so you have to complete a bunch of quests to progress instead of just mine the shit out of the world and automate until you get bored.

I'm talking single/duo player, not an entire server. I've kind of got the itch to play again, but I know after I watch some videos to learn wtf is new since I played a couple years ago, I'll just get bored before I even get anything really fancy set up. The scenario idea really appeals to me in that respect.
I'd be willing to play Project Ozone w/ you, it has like 300 quests in the quest book I think.

Project Ozone

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
FYI farming valley is not really MP compatible. The quest book is per-person, you cannot form teams like HQM in 1.7.10

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'd be willing to play Project Ozone w/ you, it has like 300 quests in the quest book I think.

Project Ozone
Thanks for the offer. I looked at that one and a bunch of others, and even installed a few and tried them out. First time using that Curse/Twitch installer, freaked me out at first because I was like WTF, I don't want to stream shit! My first conclusion was that I'm not a skyblock/void world type of person. I have vanishingly little interest in starting from a sapling and a block of dirt or whatever most of them give you. Something like Regrowth and Invasion are slightly more interesting, but Invasion has that shitty ass right click to pick up items thing going on. Fuck that right in the ass. Not to mention, it changes a lot of the crafting recipes and even the usage of crafting tables. And drones can go fuck themselves right in the ass too!

Regrowth seems to be a TON of Botania stuff, which makes sense because you're bringing life back to the land. It seems a little more interesting to me, so I might give that a better try at some point, but I'm not sure any of these are really scratching my itch. I like the directed approach via quests, because I quickly get bored of free play, and I know next to nothing about any of the modpacks anymore, so I like being told what I should do next. But you're also focusing on the stuff the author wants you to, so if he wants you to play Botania, well you're sure as hell going to use Botania!

The other issue is that a lot of the packs have so few downloads that I'm not sure if I want to put time into them, only to figure out that they are incomplete or just shitty. Some of them might be undiscovered gems, but I haven't seen anything saying that yet.

I might check out that Farming Valley, since I don't mind playing solo. I can't reliably play with someone else on a consistent basis if they intend to actually progress and play regularly, otherwise I'd maybe take you up on your offer to play together. I appreciate it, but my playtime is so inconsistent that only my best friend would even have a chance of putting up with my infrequent play. However, Farming Valley, if I remember correctly, was a lot more focused on selling your surplus goods to progress. Like Farmville, essentially. Not sure that is what I'm looking for either.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
You can play Project Ozone 2 with a normal map also, doesn't have to be skyblock(the enemies will be a real bitch after awhile)

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Just thought I'd update this a little in case anyone was looking for the same type of fix that I was.

Craft of the Titans is awesome, but incredibly, brutally hard until you figure out some tips and tricks. It centers around the premise of the bosses being buffed up a ton, but so are you. And the normal mobs are much tougher and smarter, to the point where they will dig through the walls, put stones over lava, and even pillar up to you in the sky (that has recently been removed though). It is actually kind of fun to start new worlds every few days because your current world is just hopelessly fucked, until you sort of get the hang of it and want to play in earnest. I have restarted probably ten times with this pack, each time having learned something valuable to use the next time. I would definitely recommend watching a few Let's Play videos though, at least to understand what you need to do in order to get started and actually survive for a couple of days. Unfortunately there aren't many good videos for the pack, partially because it is pretty new, and partially because the vast majority of streamers not directly related to direwolf20 (Pahimar, Soren, etc.) are just so fucking bad at the game, or annoying (one guy apparently half-screams through his entire videos, like he's trying to be Pewdiepie on steroids or something...I shut if off after 2 minutes).

Before I mention a decent-ish streamer, the other pack I started playing due to seeing it on his channel is called Sprout. Way way less ball-busting than Craft of the Titans, but has a lot of cool and interesting stuff I've never even heard of. I sort of like this one better now just because CotT is soooo much focused on staying alive until you sort of become untouchable, and then you can start teching up. Sprout gives you plenty of time to fuck around without constantly worrying that you are going to get ass-raped. I'm honestly not exactly sure what the overall premise of Sprout is, I'm sure it says somewhere, but it is just fucking fun. And there are these ability totems you can find and equip that give you cool abilities like movement haste, mining haste, step-up assist, water breathing, and more exotic stuff like levitating all the mobs around you, slowing them, making them weaker, etc.

Anyway, I recommend both of them highly. Craft of the Titans if you want to get killed repeatedly until you get good enough, or Sprout if you like to take your time and mess around with a bunch of obscure mods. They both have a bunch of quests, although Sprout is way more like an RPG where you have to actually go talk to people, and CotT is just a massive (massive) list of quests that you can work through and get usually awesome rewards.

The streamer I mentioned is ToAsgaard, and I'll warn you right off he's probably got some assburgers going on, and his accent annoys me a little, but compared to EVERYONE else that I've tried to watch play Craft of the Titans, he's far and away the best. The others are either too annoying to listen to, or absolutely pants-on-head retarded at Minecraft. Seriously, go watch a couple first episodes of CotT LPs and tell me if they aren't almost all just fucking terrible. This ToAsgaard guy is very good at Minecraft in general, to the point where he's a little too good for someone like me to try to emulate, and he's super ADHD about some things (opening and closing doors for example, or running around jumping like a retard when he's wrapping up an episode), but at least he isn't wondering what coal does (slight exaggeration, but not much).

Here's his first video for CotT if you want to see what the pack is like. He also does Sprout so now that you have the channel you can click around at your leisure.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Any advice for someone wanting to make a little 5 to 10 person max creative server for me and my kids to play at home?

Would it be best to just host on my home computer? Rent one? Are there good servers I could rent for under $20/month?

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Any advice for someone wanting to make a little 5 to 10 person max creative server for me and my kids to play at home?

Would it be best to just host on my home computer? Rent one? Are there good servers I could rent for under $20/month?

It would depend on how much you play, but it is very easy too setup a local server with minecraft.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I've recently gotten back into this game after now playing it since beta. All the stuff they've added is amazing, and 1.14 while it started out rough for a ton of bugs, but since 1.14.4 was release it has shored the games performance back up. The underwater stuff they added is pretty cool, but the elder guardians don't drop anything special which is kind of disappointing.

PewDiePie had an interesting strategy on taking on the Wither which was pretty cool. It's too bad he didn't have the pig army underground so The Wither couldn't fly away, because the strategy would have worked!

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
I've recently gotten back into this game after now playing it since beta. All the stuff they've added is amazing, and 1.14 while it started out rough for a ton of bugs, but since 1.14.4 was release it has shored the games performance back up. The underwater stuff they added is pretty cool, but the elder guardians don't drop anything special which is kind of disappointing.

PewDiePie had an interesting strategy on taking on the Wither which was pretty cool. It's too bad he didn't have the pig army underground so The Wither couldn't fly away, because the strategy would have work!

The Pewdiepie series is amazing, it's a good lesson in why you don't take your horse and dog everywhere you go.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The Pewdiepie series is amazing, it's a good lesson in why you don't take your horse and dog everywhere you go.

I've never watched him before the Minecraft series, and it was very entertaining to watch. I don't think I'll like his other content. I couldn't imagine dragging around the animals like he did. They get so bugged out when they can't keep up with you or you leave them in a spot. I'm surprised Sven followed him around as well as he did, but he's playing in SP and I'm playing on a MP server. Both are different experiences when it comes to the AI.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
I've never watched him before the Minecraft series, and it was very entertaining to watch. I don't think I'll like his other content. I couldn't imagine dragging around the animals like he did. They get so bugged out when they can't keep up with you or you leave them in a spot. I'm surprised Sven followed him around as well as he did, but he's playing in SP and I'm playing on a MP server. Both are different experiences when it comes to the AI.
His other content is reviewing memes, it's pretty entertaining.

• 1Like