Minecraft

Kais

<Gold Donor>
i used to have a filter toggle that would shunt my cobble to either a void pipe or a rack of recyclers/massfab for UU. I let it run for a couple hours one night and came back to 800 odd UU so it's been on void pipe ever since. I keep about 20k on hand for random use, though i could easily get by with way less, AE shrugs it off.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Made my first MJ power plant.
rrr_img_40460.jpg

10 Magmatic engines being fed from an ender tank. Pumping MJs into four Redstone cells.

Am I doing it right
smile.png

Kais

<Gold Donor>
4 MJ per magmatic, 40 total before 25% loss from tesseract.....you'll nee more than that to feed a quarry at max speed! (50MJ per quarry)

Camerous

Molten Core Raider
Made my first MJ power plant.

10 Magmatic engines being fed from an ender tank. Pumping MJs into four Redstone cells.

Am I doing it right
smile.png
Well, tbh with you, not really and let me explain why. When you use redstone energy conducts you lose 5% energy for every connection. Looking at your SS, admittedly it is not 2 shots of opposing sides, but just looking at it you have your magmatic engines feeding into a center set of redstone pipes then being pumped down the line to the 4 red stone energy cells. If you were to take those energy cells and put them in between each set of magmatic engines you would have a net energy gain of 15 - 20%. But damn good first try bro!

Fazana_sl

shitlord
Redstone cells are best run in parallel, will see if I can coax a text diagram out of the bbcode settings
This gives you the minimum energy loss for feeding into them and out. This layout will fill one after the other and give you quite the buffer.

I disagree slightly with the above post on how the energy loss works, you lose 5% on each total transaction not each individual part of it, i.e. sending power from a battery into a machine you lose 5% total whether it's going through 2 conduits or 200. That's taken from a quote from the mod dev who posts in the SA MC thread fairly often. Soon it won't lose anything at all (it might have already been removed as this was said a while ago!) as Buildcraft removed it's energy loss mechanism so the TE chap said he would do the same.

One issue with quarries I haven't seen mentioned is I believe they will drain as much power as you shunt to them BUT anything over 50 is wasted so it is probably worth shoving a redstone cell into the wiring towards a quarry and have it set to only output 55MJ at the most.

Next time I start a world I'm going to try for MFR biofuel power instead of the magmatic stuff, once I learned about insertion pipes so I could keep a single stack in a planter filled and send the excess elsewhere I was off to the races with that stuff.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'm glad I learned about the 50 MJ max to quarry. I actually saw a neat demo video of this where one quarry was fed 50 and the other was fed 100. They both went the same speed.

How do you guys pump out quarry materials? I had sterling engines attached to wooden transports pumping from a chest attached to the quarry, but that still had trouble keeping up. What are some good solutions?

Menion_sl

shitlord
I use Item tesseracts back to my base. Then I typically have deep storage units for materials such as cobble, obsidian, redstone, coal, dirt and sand. Sandstone gets void piped and everything else gets sent to chests or my refining system.

Once AE is up and running everything gets dumped into that system. Eventually the deep storage comes offline and I void pipe the rest. However with the latest AE you can compress all those spare mats and turn them into singularities to allow multiple connected AE systems in different locations or ages.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
yeah, as in the post above you can remove your chest/extraction pipe completely and just pipe/conveyor belt away the material to wherever. Item tesseracts are certainly the easiest, can put it right next to the quarry and then stick it at the intake of your home base sorting system. Standard buildcraft pipes will handle however much you put through it, I screenshotted the backend of my intake system a couple of weeks ago and once it is up and running it's pretty much a graphics glitch of it trying to render the sheer amount of stuff a maxxed out quarry will shit out.

If I was to do it again I'd probably stick the cobble/dirt diamond pipe filter into the system at the quarry end and a void pipe into a lava hole to kill the unwanted gazillion tons of junk.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'm really loving my power armor set.

Jetpack + shock absorber is just awesome.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Was the forestry mod changed recently? I can't find a logger or Arboretum in my DW20 pack
tongue.png

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
He removed both of those as well as some of his other farming machines in favor of his new multi-block farms that do the same thing.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
As soon as I learn one thing, it's taken out and replaced with another
frown.png
I'm so out of the loop it's not funny.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'm actually building a structure to put all this stuff in now. So far I've had my machines all sitting around an open area. Nothing fancy about it. Now I'm building a spaceship in the sky to load all my operations into.

Quick question: can you start a quarry underground. Like say lvl 20? That way I don't have to go through the long wait to get the good stuff.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Yes, Quarries will start at whatever level you place them at, no problem. What I did with my starter quarry this last time was just leave it at it's default size. If powered well enough it'll dig that space out pretty quickly no matter how high up it is.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
So I kinda hit a wall on vanilla until I get the motivation to finish my arena on RR. Is there an FTB server I could get whitelisted to to try and check out what people do?

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I think most of us are playing FTB SP. Download the launcher and try one of the packs! Don't forget to watch piles of Direwolf20 youtube video tutorials.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Couple new pics of the latest project in my little town.

rrr_img_41338.jpg

rrr_img_41339.jpg

I've also recently discovered the Minefactory Reloaded laser drill. I've fallen in love but damn it eats up the power.