Karazhan Raider
Winker makes a serious base running error

Gift for the Dodgers from the baseball gods

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
The Padres were the only team that really scared me, so I am really glad they got past them. Never know what can happen in a 7 game series, but I like their chances.

Playing great tonight so far.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
With all of their pitching woes this year, they go out and set a record for longest consecutive shutout innings at 33. WTF

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

TheNozz

Karazhan Raider
I honestly don’t know why Mets didn’t use Manaea in Game 1, you think you’d want your best guy to set the table for the series

• 1Like

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
I honestly don’t know why Mets didn’t use Manaea in Game 1, you think you’d want your best guy to set the table for the series

Okay, team, let's break down why Senga started Game 1 and not Manaea, and we're gonna use some sabermetrics here.

First, the Expected Batting Average Against (xBA):
  • Senga's xBA against right-handed hitters: .210
  • Manaea's xBA against righties: .230
Now, Dodgers' lineup? Heavy on the righties. We're playing the percentages here. Senga's got this ghost forkball, right? It's a unicorn pitch, hard to predict, even harder to hit.
Now, for WHIP (Walks + Hits per Inning Pitched):
  • Senga: 1.20
  • Manaea: 1.30
Lower WHIP means fewer runners on base, less pressure.

But here's where it gets interesting:

Pitcher vs. Batter Splits and Leverage Index (LI):
  • Senga's performance in high leverage situations has an LI adjustment that shows he keeps his cool. His FIP (Fielding Independent Pitching) in high-stress innings barely ticks up from his overall, which is around 3.40.
  • Manaea, on the other hand, we're looking at an FIP of 3.60 generally, but in high leverage? It jumps. Not much, but enough. We're playing the long game, not just Game 1.
The Element of Surprise:
  • Dodgers prepped for Manaea, thinking logically he'd start. But baseball isn't just numbers; it's about disrupting rhythm. Senga's only faced two Dodgers this year, minimal scouting data. It's the unknown variable, the chaos factor.
The Bullpen Strategy:
  • We've modeled this series out. Starting Senga allows us to use Peterson in relief, creating a bridge to Manaea in Game 2 with a fresher bullpen. We're optimizing for Total Series ERA not just Game 1.
Rest and Recovery:
  • Manaea's arm benefits from that extra day. His velocity and spin rate see a statistically significant uptick with an extra day. We're not just playing for tonight; we're setting up our rotation for an optimal performance curve across potentially seven games.
Look, starting your 'ace' in Game 1 is old school. We're in the business of winning series, not just games. We crunch these numbers not for the glory of Game 1 but for a championship. By these calculations, Senga's the move. We save Manaea's firepower for when they're adjusting to our opener strategy.

That's how we play baseball in 2024. Any questions?

df-02636r-df9a7ff629e876ffaf1b5d2793b1dffce4514681_jpg.png

math pi day GIF by University of Alaska Fairbanks

TL;DR

Math

Matt Damon Seriously GIF by AIR Movie

• 1I Came
  • 1Worf

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
The Padres were the only team that really scared me, so I am really glad they got past them. Never know what can happen in a 7 game series, but I like their chances.

Playing great tonight so far.

This 100%, after the Padres it seems kinda downhill. I wonder if they think similarly because their attitude and play tonight were both great, like they can really taste the WS win now.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
There's that Dodgers pitching we were used to. lol

Used up all their talent on those 33 scoreless innings

• 1Like

TheNozz

Karazhan Raider
Roberts regressing to his bad self: letting a pitcher load up the bases and then pulling them AFTER the big home run blast

• 1Like