MMA Thread

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
If refs in MMA are on a spectrum, then Herb is clear on the other end from the refs like Cecil

Is there really any ref whose been doing it for very long at all, that doesn't have at least one bad decision that people criticize them for?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
one bad decision
Nurmagomedov vs McGregor. This one is kind of weird/ticky tacky, but McGregor fouled Khabib FIVE times and Dean never deducted a point. Grabbed the cage, grabbed the gloves, grabbed the shorts, oil check, and an illegal knee that connected. Dean defended himself afterwards by saying McGregor never committed the same foul twice but by that retarded logic you could freely commit every single separate foul in the UFC as long as you didn't repeat that particular foul after a warning. Would have been a much bigger deal if Khabib hadn't finished McGregor.

Ladd vs De Randamie. Here is a great example of what I was talking about a couple weeks ago where he stops women's fights early (compared to late stops with mens fights). De Randamie rocks Ladd with a solid shot but she is NOT knocked out, Dean stops the fight without requiring any followup offense from De Randamie.

Dollaway vs Murtazaliev. After Murtazaliev escaped a choke and reversed position he started absolutely beating the shit out of an exhausted Dollaway. Instead of stopping the fight he let it go to the end of the round, and afterwards Dollaway couldn't even get up on his stool, so then Dean finally called the fight.

Lawler vs Askren. This is probably one of his most ridiculously bad reffing jobs. Lawler knocked Askren out with a suplex and shots to the head, Herb didn't stop the fight, Askren recovered and got Lawler in a bulldog choke, Lawler gave Dean a thumbs up which Dean ignored and stopped the fight anyway.

and while I've already mentioned it, the Rockhold/Weidman fight is as bad as or worse than any reffing Yamasaki ever did.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Hey Lanx Lanx I need some cool art for 261 to engrave. Got anything for me?
you'd have to wait for 260 to at least end first, but even the available artwork for 260 is abysmal

but i've been skimming the gram

maybe follow bosslogic, this is his 260

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Nurmagomedov vs McGregor. This one is kind of weird/ticky tacky, but McGregor fouled Khabib FIVE times and Dean never deducted a point. Grabbed the cage, grabbed the gloves, grabbed the shorts, oil check, and an illegal knee that connected. Dean defended himself afterwards by saying McGregor never committed the same foul twice but by that retarded logic you could freely commit every single separate foul in the UFC as long as you didn't repeat that particular foul after a warning. Would have been a much bigger deal if Khabib hadn't finished McGregor.

Ladd vs De Randamie. Here is a great example of what I was talking about a couple weeks ago where he stops women's fights early (compared to late stops with mens fights). De Randamie rocks Ladd with a solid shot but she is NOT knocked out, Dean stops the fight without requiring any followup offense from De Randamie.

Dollaway vs Murtazaliev. After Murtazaliev escaped a choke and reversed position he started absolutely beating the shit out of an exhausted Dollaway. Instead of stopping the fight he let it go to the end of the round, and afterwards Dollaway couldn't even get up on his stool, so then Dean finally called the fight.

Lawler vs Askren. This is probably one of his most ridiculously bad reffing jobs. Lawler knocked Askren out with a suplex and shots to the head, Herb didn't stop the fight, Askren recovered and got Lawler in a bulldog choke, Lawler gave Dean a thumbs up which Dean ignored and stopped the fight anyway.

and while I've already mentioned it, the Rockhold/Weidman fight is as bad as or worse than any reffing Yamasaki ever did.
I actually really like Herzog and he's probably my favorite current ref. He's always intense, into the fight, and seems to make very good decisions on fouls, stoppages, etc. I think his stop in the Gaejthe v. Kabib fight was about perfect timing. The only semi-questionable fight I've seen from him recently is Smith v. Glover, but I put a LOT of it on Smith's corner.

Dean has a body language when he's in the ring like he could give a fuck, it's no wonder he's so bad at his job. He's also absolutely horrible at positioning himself, but that's partly to blame on his attitude.

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
look at the number of fuckups vs the number of fights reffed. i thought lawler went limp in the bulldog choke as well so i probably would have called it on the dropping arm. but one thing that pisses me off is the leeway refs give for eyepokes and nut shots. these things can fuck a fighter for the rest of the match and for a 3 rounder i reckon it should be an immediate point deduct. then you see some assholes nut strike then eye poke or do multiple eye pokes and not even a point deduct. i wish they'd get better gloves or be more consistent with the application of fouls. i'd be a cunt as a ref, 1 point for illegal strike, 1 point for 2nd cage grab etc. too much shit gets to slide.

Last edited:

Goatface

"Bro, I will f--kin rape you," Adesanya posted in a video to his Instagram story directed at fellow UFC middleweight Kevin Holland, who criticised Adesanya in an offensive manner last week. The post was no longer visible on Wednesday morning.

"Due to the comments made by an athlete online, we have reviewed our pending association with said athlete and we have decided not to push forward with a specific ambassador for the brand at this time in New Zealand."

=
Dustin picked conor over title fight

if justin wins next fight (unknown) he will probably get next title shot. think that will be 0% chance if Conor beats dustin
as for someone good, looks like only options are Rafael Dos Anjos, Beneil Dariush, or Islam Makhachev.
supposedly Rafael/Islam was already being talked about.

=
Endeavor is looking to own 100% of the UFC to take it public, currently owns 50.1%, Much of the other 49.9 percent is owned by the Silver Lake and KKR investment firms

if they go public would have to disclose all pay figures and shit right?

1616773369484.png

woodley has lost 3 in a row, but still in the top 10.
looks like they are still trying to pump o'malley, almeida has lost 3 in a row, 1 win in last 5 which was in 2016. guess o'malley just needs not to break anyway
lol, didn't realize half the main card fighters are coming off a loss

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
look at the number of fuckups vs the number of fights reffed. i thought lawler went limp in the bulldog choke as well so i probably would have called it on the dropping arm. but one thing that pisses me off is the leeway refs give for eyepokes and nut shots. these things can fuck a fighter for the rest of the match and for a 3 rounder i reckon it should be an immediate point deduct. then you see some assholes nut strike then eye poke or do multiple eye pokes and not even a point deduct. i wish they'd get better gloves or be more consistent with the application of fouls. i'd be a cunt as a ref, 1 point for illegal strike, 1 point for 2nd cage grab etc. too much shit gets to slide.

Reason why they don't is because taking a point is the same thing as calling the fight in a lot of circumstances. They don't want to be responsible for tilting a decision.

Especially if its something the fighter can recover from. But I'm also for taking a point immediately on a flagrant foul-- I just think that it will never happen.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
taking a point is the same thing as calling the fight in a lot of circumstances

The 10-point system is goofy. Why have a scale if you don't use it? 99% of fights could be scored on a 1-point scale. Judging would be a lot more interesting (and forgiving, and allow for the application of penalties) if what is now a 10-8 were scored a 10-5 and the interim gradations were used.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I don't know what else they would do besides maybe the 10% purse deductions like Pride.

Then you reduce the impact a call would have on the fight. Then you would have a deterrent that doesn't necessarily affect the outcome of the fight.

Taking a point in a 10 point system is definitely too harsh for most fouls, and based on the bad reffing we've seen as Gavinmad pointed out, they wouldn't really be trustworthy to take a point for fouls that warrant it. Even if refs received additional training on what constitutes a flagrant foul-- it would ruin fights and fans would be upset. You see in other sports how upset people get over ref interventions. The people placing bets would be livid if a ref was tilting fights over small "accidental" fouls. On the other hand it's atrocious as a fan to watch flagrant fouls damage a fighter and the ref just give them 5 minutes with no point taken. Almost equally as bad.

With the gambling aspect, I can almost see Dana White making sure athletic commissions tell refs to shy away from taking points. Why else would every state and every athletic commission basically have the same reaction to fouls, ala nothing. I think we've all seen some atrocious fouls and repeated fouls over the past several years where at most the ref says, "I'm really serious this time! I'll take a point next time" after 2 big fouls.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I'd like to see eye pokes an auto point, end of story. Get a 2nd, you lose.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The momentum during the Jon Jones era to remove a point for an eye poke was at its all-time peak. Everyone was pushing for it.

It ended up being addressed via special backstage "stern talking to" for his next fight. He got special backstage warnings. Everything wrong with the current foul/point culture in the UFC. Doing everything they can to avoid having to take a point.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Taking a point in a 10 point system is definitely too harsh for most fouls,
how tho? everytime someone gets eyepoked, they either lose the fight from attrition or they get whopped the next minute cuz they got a right hook to their new blind spot

cuz what are you gonna do? take the full 5minutes? wow your so while you recover in agony, your opponet gets a free 5minute rest.

eyepokes are stupid and unnecessary

an eyepoke should be a DQ like a knee to downed opponent, then all of a sudden there are no more eyepokes and everyone squares off with closed fists and no more palms out.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
many fouls during the golden era were kicks that rode up too high, inside leg kicks, or a slipped knee.

a little rattled, but not intentional.
eh, dick shots, thats why they have a cup, it's not like ppl are fighting with goggles, you can actually "walk it off" with a dick shot, but what can you do when you lose your peripheral vision?

thats why most loses happen with hook to the eyepoked side.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Stipe standing up for himself in the DC trilogy I think put a lot of fighters on notice, at least in HW.

He's not afraid to retaliate.