MMA Thread

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Lol SaC wants their money. anyways is smoking worth losing that much money. Diaz brothers are 2 of the dumbest fighters in the world

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
People whose opinions of his athletic accomplishments have drastically changed because he got caught doing steroids are very naive.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You could argue between Fedor and Silva, but not really anyone else.
GeorgesStPierreUFC94Pre_2148.jpg

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
25-2 in one of the toughest divisions in the sport.More wins over legit top 10 opponentsthan any other MMA fighter ever. Finished his career on a 6 year winning streak rated #1 and taking on all comers while champion for 5 and a half of those years. He had 2 losses. One when he was 23 in his 3rd UFC fight against the top WW of all time(at the time). The other a fluke KO. He avenged both losses in ridiculously dominating fashion.

Boring, risk averse, not enough finishes. Whatever. He won.

I bitched about his style as much as anyone, but he simply had the most dominant MMA career of anyone ever and he did it against the absolute best. Even ignoring PED's and shit he's still 1a or 1b with Silva.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Grim has a very valid point. Silva never consistently faced the level of competition that GSP did. Silva gained notoriety because he made all of his opponents look foolish, and he had some spectacular finishes. GSP lost a lot of fans because he became so cautious after the Serra loss, and his fights could turn boring.

All that said, he was just as dominant over his opponents. He may not have finished many of them, but he completely outclassed them.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
IMO GSP and eventually Jones for GOAT, based on competition and dominance. Fedor did have an impressive run, he faced a lot of lower competition and dare I say cans.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Iirc, pride had the best heavy weights at the time. Fedor in his prime is my personal GOAT. And as much as ihatred watching him, GSP has aclaim for pound for pound.

Fucking phone, nor fixing typos

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Just realized how much I miss when MMA had no rounds, less rules, etc.

Basing my personal GOAT on who would win a fight with UFC 1 rules and setup. Not a 25 minute point contest.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They had the best HW division, the problem is that only amounted to about 3 real high quality opponents for Fedor. These are his highest rated wins, in the order he fought them.

1. Renato Sobral (HW)
2. Semmy Schilt ("super"HW)
3. Heath Herring (HW)
4. Ant?nio Rodrigo Nogueira (HW)
5. Mark Coleman (HW)
6. Kazuyuki Fujita (HW)
7. Kevin Randleman (HW)
8. Ant?nio Rodrigo Nogueira (HW)
9. Mirko Filipovic (HW)
10. Mark Hunt ("super"HW)
X. Matt Lindland (ranked MW, fought at HW)
11. Tim Sylvia ("super"HW)
12. Andrei Arlovski (HW)
13. Brett Rogers ("super"HW)

The only guys that were straight up elite when he beat them were Big Nog and Cro Cop. HW has always been the thinnest division in modern MMA. It's not Fedor's fault, but we're comparing the thinnest division ever versus one of the deepest. Just think about what GSP did to the division, when he stepped in it was crazy deep. Hecleaned it outtop to bottom. To the point people started saying it was thin, and people. Once he finished and stepped out of the way what happened? "Oh hey look how great WW is all of the sudden!". Yeah, everyone looks better when one guy isn't clowning the top fighters on the regular.

Really though you can't go wrong with Silva/GSP/Fedor. And you could honestly argue for Bones already, give him a couple more years and it will just be an argument over seconed best behind him.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The biggest arguments for Fedor are:
1. He was generally outweighed by his opponents. Say what you want against HMC, but at the size differential is something no one in the post-sanctioned UFC has faced.
2. He often fought with a ferociousness and reckless abandon that gave him fearful aura of "I'm going to destroy you.", compared to A. Silva's "you simply can't hit me unless I let you" or GSP's, "Anytime you try something I'm going to take you down" or JJ's, "I can hit you at a distance you can't touch me with, but if you get close to me I'm going to elbow, knee and throw you.".
3. He fought at HW where long-winning careers are almost unheard of. I think the UFC HW champ's consecutive title defenses is still 2!
4. While he had an incredible work ethic and his pudgy body shape wasn't as detrimental as it looks, he had a sort of amateur approach to fighting and training that was commendable. Maybe I'm just fooled by the hype, but it seemed like he reclused himself to the middle of nowhere in Russia, did cardio on playgrounds, ate traditional Russian foods cooked by his babushka, trained with his brother and random Russians sambo practitioners, and every few months would come out and destroy the best the world has to offer. He didn't seem to have a Greg Jackson to run a 'camp', he didn't have a Cus D'Amato to mentor him and teach him the sport, he didn't have a Mike Dolce to figure out an optimal diet and I never even saw him with competitive training partners that had better pure boxing, kickboxing, muay thai, JJ or wrestling than he had.
5. His gameplan was often not to play to his strengths and force the opponent to fight his gameplan, but often fought his opponent's style and fought to their strengths and beat them at their own game. A. Silva was a boring point fighter if you didn't let him counter-attack. GSP would take you down and smother you if you didn't give him opponents to GNP. JJ somewhat follows Fedor's footsteps in this in that he outstruck Glover, Gustaffson, Machida etc and outwreslted Cormier. When Fedor fought Big Nog, Fedor's plan was to jump into Nog's guard and avoid getting submitted (same as his strategy against Werdum!). When Fedor fought Crocop, he kickboxed him.

IMO The biggest argument against Fedor is that prime Cain beats a prime Fedor. I think Cain would just be able to smother and outwork Fedor, avoid submissions and outwrestle him to victory. I can't say the same of a prime GSP or Silva.