MMA Thread

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Following up on the bit about Mark Kerr's insights, see Daniel Cormier VS Anderson Silva. Prime example. Absolutely no respect and technically abusing the lack of ruleset on smothering and non-choke related throat pressure and open-hand face manipulation from the top position, which most agree are way past due.

Huh? "Abusing lack of ruleset"? If it's not in the rules, it's legal. As far as smothering and throat pressure, l2grapplingdefense.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer

BTW who ended up doing play by play for 208? I didnt watch one second of that shit show.

Last edited:

Shano

Golden Knight of the Realm
Rogan and DC were great together imo. However I think Anik was just there to do tale of the tape, talk about whatever they are advertising, and let everyone know how many minutes were left in each round.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
highschool wrestling is a cesspool of D.C tactics. low on technique, high on bullshit. from what i've gathered from multiple regions and schools its the same everywhere.

I'll say it, fuck DC. he's lucky hes got that rank to sell himself. Nobody should be supporting unsportsmanlike conduct. if he had respect for Anderson like he said, he wouldn't have fought that fight. Period.

only a sackless weasel would cosign a fight like that. hes a fucking disgrace.

Last edited:
  • 3Salty
Reactions: 2 users

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Dude, its the 'rebb, dont even bother. It was a quiet peaceful time in this thread without him and Mippo to guide us.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Jayrebb salty because someone beat him up in high school rasslin and now he hates all good rasslers and grapplers.

This issue only comes up every 3-5 years when someone goes overboard. 2 fighters have used dirty wrestling and orifice manipulation. 1 is dan, 1 is D.C. Love the guys commentary, hate his reliance on dirty tactics that he's clearly above.

Dan didn't espouse all this respect for Anderson. I'm a huge fan of Hendo, never wavered. Much respect for not faking respect and fighting a fight and owning up to it.

D.C. claims the utmost martial arts respect, fights the arguably #1 martial artist in MMA history, and chooses to go against a lot of TMMA teachings. Its MMA, sure, and the rules have a hole in them which allows for some orifice play, but that doesn't make it ok.

Who knew there were so many D.C. stans on here? I'm going to have to put 5k on Rumble after this little exchange.

Last edited:

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
And yet, somehow, none of the other wrestlers or BJJ guys in the world think this is a major problem.

Show me an instance where this has happened in BJJ or how this could possibly have a negative affect on a BJJ fight. I have never seen it happen. Maybe you are more privy to dirty wrestling in BJJ matches than I am. I watch most high level televised grappling, and I haven't seen it.

Show me any other wrestlers who have used it for 5 rounds with gray area tactics outside of typical smothering ala dirty wrestling. I really don't think you watch much MMA because you don't seem to understand how the Anderson fight is in a league of its own here, judging from your argument. So I have to ask, did you watch the Anderson fight? Did you watch it online? There is a big difference and its possible you missed some aspects of the fight.

Can you demonstrate that these tactics are "normal" and therefore sportsmanlike in BJJ comps?

In MMA, its only happened a handful of times in a decade. Both times the 2 wrestlers who have abused it went too far with it to the point it put a cloud over the fight. I love and respect one of them after it because he owned it, he said hey guess what I'm about that action, I'll do whatever I can to win in a fight. The other one is a liar and spammed the MMA news sites with how much he respects Anderson.

Otherwise, agree to disagree. You are entitled to your perspective.

Last edited:

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Dude, its the 'rebb, dont even bother. It was a quiet peaceful time in this thread without him and Mippo to guide us.

You have 1k posts and 40 likes. I'm not one to judge, but you should probably work on that because a_skeleton_03 is threatening different ways to cut people. I'm not sure what you've been up to, but ad hominem doesn't discredit my argument or any of my points regarding dirty wrestling having a gray area that allows you to play in the eyes and mouth with fingers. I'd want the orifice ban to be fully enforced during smother, no pawing at the face, no rub on the eyes, no finger contact on the mouth. Smothering is ok (Hendo is a legend) but D.C. isn't ok in that Anderson fight.

As for your thread "was better" reference, since FOH came back this thread has been a mostly dead in the water echo chamber, very bland. And the commentary has been very predictable ya-bro stuff and generic observations like "good fight".

Carry on.

Last edited:

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Hang on. So all of this whining is because some fighters cover the mouth of the fighter when they are on top? Seriously?

ilikefoods

Peasant
Show me an instance where this has happened in BJJ or how this could possibly have a negative affect on a BJJ fight. I have never seen it happen. Maybe you are more privy to dirty wrestling in BJJ matches than I am. I watch most high level televised grappling, and I haven't seen it.

Show me any other wrestlers who have used it for 5 rounds with gray area tactics outside of typical smothering ala dirty wrestling. I really don't think you watch much MMA because you don't seem to understand how the Anderson fight is in a league of its own here, judging from your argument. So I have to ask, did you watch the Anderson fight? Did you watch it online? There is a big difference and its possible you missed some aspects of the fight.

Can you demonstrate that these tactics are "normal" and therefore sportsmanlike in BJJ comps?

In MMA, its only happened a handful of times in a decade. Both times the 2 wrestlers who have abused it went too far with it to the point it put a cloud over the fight. I love and respect one of them after it because he owned it, he said hey guess what I'm about that action, I'll do whatever I can to win in a fight. The other one is a liar and spammed the MMA news sites with how much he respects Anderson.

Otherwise, agree to disagree. You are entitled to your perspective.

Don't just watch BJJ, do it. That shit goes on all the time, rubbing your nose to get you to lift your neck for a choke. Scraping your knuckles. Having a gi wrapped around you then your head stuck in some guys sweaty armpit. Tying people up with the gi, hands over mouth for smothering, getting rubbed down with oil, deliberately cranking submissions too hard, the classic oil check:
Rugby_377334_2883084.gif

• 1Cutler
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
^

What he said. I'm a BJJ brown belt. This stuff happens constantly (except oil checks). It's just part of the territory. You have a sport based around strangling people unconscious and threatening to break their limbs (and in MMA, giving them concussions) and you draw the line at covering their mouth? Lol.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users