Monsters and Memories (Project_N) - Old School Indie MMO

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Kind of funny hearing how many people were blown away. I've been sitting here for 25 years assuming everyone had the same "meh" experience that I did when it came to the initial look/feel of EQ. Now I'm going to have to go back and talk to my friends to see if maybe I'm misremembering and they were blown away and it's just me that wasn't lol.

Edit:

My progression into the EQ abyss was pretty much:

First day- meh, looks ok and plays ok but not super impressive. Also how the fuck do I get out of this city.

After a few days- still not very impressed with the looks/gameplay. I kept dying and I wasn't getting anywhere (solo dwarf rogue). But i began to appreciate the size and scope of the game. That WAS impressive.

Few more days switched classes and began to get the feel of combat. Explored even more and started realizing just how much depth there was to not jut the world, but the gameplay. Also really started grouping and realizing what an mmo meant.

By the end of the first week or so I was totally hooked and wouldn't come up for air until 2004.

Couple things that may have contributed to my early experience: I started in Kaladim/BB which isn't a particularly impressive starting area. Also my graphics card was awful so I definitely wasn't seeing the game in full glory.

🤷‍♂️
One confounding issue is that I think we forget what the other popular games of the same time actually looked like. Here's IGN's list of top 20 best selling pc games of 1998:
1719003074242.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Like basically every one of those is great, meanwhile 2024...
I mean yeah, but I didn't say they were bad games. Visually though, at the time 3D was in its really early days, and most people were probably going from Diablo to EQ... Aside from whatever you think of the relative quality of the gameplay, that's a pretty crazy jump in immersion. And not that Unreal and Quake 2 didn't look great for their time, but they weren't exactly "lets take a ton of time to calmly explore and enjoy the environment" kinds of games. On top of that, any time I go back and look at pics of 3D games from this era, my brain gets confused for a second until it manages to sort out the difference between how it remembers them looking versus how they actually looked.

Cyni

Lord Nagafen Raider
Wow that list really points out how fucking pathetic the gaming industry has become compared to the "good old days". Geezus.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
That list is actually pretty interesting if you think about it in retrospect. It is chock full of "casual game market" titles...stuff like Myst, Riven, Titanic, Frogger, Monopoly, and all the hunting games.

Those games constantly sold to people who you wouldn't traditionally consider "gamers" - I bet if you did a cross comparison for the prime demographics for those titles and the prime demographics for mobile/tablet games, there would be a ton of overlap.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

Patching now, lets hope it works kindly with crossover this time!

Past 2 times, it had errors, then once the test was done, it worked.... so odd

Siliconemelons

Sad...its doing this failed to load thing again.. but once the test is done...the loader works, and I can go to plane of meat etc...it worked 2 stress tests ago... so sad
Screenshot 2024-06-28 at 2.07.58 PM.png

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Best and most minimal sweeping pvp change would be reduce cc duration with pvp DR

30 second mes and long ass blind felt a little unfair, but would be "classic"

Speaking as a person in a group going around and dunking ppl with that setup

Mur

Trakanon Raider
Playing this morning, Ogre Warrior, but trying a Ranger now. Any of you know where the damn Dunestrider guy is? Journal says he's in a tower, but I have checked all of the towers near Garrison, and I can't find him. Probably my biggest complaint so far is how just getting started is a frikkin puzzle.

forehead

Trakanon Raider
Playing this morning, Ogre Warrior, but trying a Ranger now. Any of you know where the damn Dunestrider guy is? Journal says he's in a tower, but I have checked all of the towers near Garrison, and I can't find him. Probably my biggest complaint so far is how just getting started is a frikkin puzzle.
Working as intended.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Keep following the walls he’s like over the gates out of the city

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Got in finally.

I think the way crossover works is wonky in the patching, i think that is the core issue… before it would say “update needed” you press update, it sits there then says play- today it said update, i press it, it shows downloading progress then play and boom

20fps average in noob yard now vs 5 last time, 20-40 running around populated areas as before 10-15

There is still lag in NPCs pathing and appearing - was able to find my bard guy - get the next quest that is a fetch and find for like 5 dudes… killed a few rats and skellies - then trained in dodge… i hope that helps!

Quaid

Trump's Staff
So I just started looking into this, and according to the wiki the spells on the old EQ classes are basically identical. Like down to the level you get them. Is this accurate and intentional? Or are the old EQ spells/abilities just placeholders during development?

Was kinda stoked to play a new MMO in the vein of early EQ… but this is looking a bit on the nose…