Monsters and Memories (Project_N) - Old School Indie MMO

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think a 50% cut on "shady merchants" that buy anything and a price buff of 50% more if you know the right merchant in the right town, thus rewarding game knowledge, can be tolerated.

It's going to hinge heavily on how fast you accumulate junk though. Maybe the shady its just 20% less than the right merchant. Something like that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I think a 50% cut on "shady merchants" that buy anything and a price buff of 50% more if you know the right merchant in the right town, thus rewarding game knowledge, can be tolerated.

It's going to hinge heavily on how fast you accumulate junk though. Maybe the shady its just 20% less than the right merchant. Something like that.

Yes. Every merchant should accept almost every item at a discount, and give preference to what they like to buy. Just like EQ.

Also, I’ve killed probably 150 Ashira & Skeletons and have gotten exactly zero 4 slot bags, which makes me think they don’t exist in their loot tables. I’ve accumulated about 25 silver in roughly eleven hours of playtime, and spent about 15 of that silver on MOST of my level 1 & 4 spells. If i wanted them all the other 10s would be gone too. A single 8 slot backpack is 85 silver from a vendor.

Oh just craft you say? My brother wanted to smith a set of copper armour for himself so gave that a shot. It takes mats from about 4 (contested) copper veins for a single combine. In 15 combines he’s yielded a single piece of armour, and the rest if the mats have been fully consumed, including the recipes that are over 1 silver each. Last night he logged off in frustration. We’re talking about a guy who used to grind in LINEAGE.

They have some real balance work to do, and i hope they’re willing to do it. I’m seeing ZERO of this criticism in their discord/reddit.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They have some real balance work to do, and i hope they’re willing to do it. I’m seeing ZERO of this criticism in their discord/reddit.
I somehow know you didnt expect to find criticism of any kind there, or any other indie studios forum about their game. Those are the type of people that subscribe to Pantheon's forum for example.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Consuming the recipe itself as a combine is really stupid and thematically makes no sense.

Let someone just buy the recipe and scribe it like a spell once purchased. This is basic shit. Put a skill requirement to scribe it.

• 1Like

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Oh god i just came across a chipped diamond that sold for 5 gold!!! Got the rest if my noob spells with lots left over!

Also Bought 2x backpacks!! Wait… whats this? I only have 1 inventory slot for a ‘large’ backpack? The other 4 slots are for ‘bags’ only??? And the backpack is VISIBLE ON MY TOON?

Fuck me man.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yes. Every merchant should accept almost every item at a discount, and give preference to what they like to buy. Just like EQ.

Also, I’ve killed probably 150 Ashira & Skeletons and have gotten exactly zero 4 slot bags, which makes me think they don’t exist in their loot tables. I’ve accumulated about 25 silver in roughly eleven hours of playtime, and spent about 15 of that silver on MOST of my level 1 & 4 spells. If i wanted them all the other 10s would be gone too. A single 8 slot backpack is 85 silver from a vendor.

Oh just craft you say? My brother wanted to smith a set of copper armour for himself so gave that a shot. It takes mats from about 4 (contested) copper veins for a single combine. In 15 combines he’s yielded a single piece of armour, and the rest if the mats have been fully consumed, including the recipes that are over 1 silver each. Last night he logged off in frustration. We’re talking about a guy who used to grind in LINEAGE.

I don't recall any merchants in EQ giving preference to shit, they either bought stuff at full price or shitty prices (shady merchant).

I understand the CONCEPT of having the blacksmith buy swords while they wouldn't buy rat meat, but at a certain point you have to ask is that FUN or GOOD GAMEPLAY? I would argue no, it sounds dumb as shit. You either end up with a situation A) it's not worth the hassle of running around to 5 different merchants to get top $ for your stuff (great, it's pointless) or B) it IS worth the hassle of running around to 5 different merchants (shit gameplay).

It honestly sounds like an idea that would have only ever been seen in the greatest "cool idea that actually sucks but let's go for it anyway" MMO in history: Star Wars Galaxies

• 1Truth!

Quaid

Trump's Staff
No one cares about rogues and is anyone actually going to play a fighter.

i know you’re being tongue in cheek, but for everyone else here’s the list of classes without True North as of now:

Archer
Bard
Cleric
Fighter
Monk
Paladin
Rogue

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
EQ merchants had a faction check and a charisma check. With the charisma checks mattering far more in most cases since most EQ merchants not in a racial city were neutral faction to everyone.

You could make a solid difference if you buffed your charisma to a certain threshold, which made it reasonable for enchanters and such to do when necessary. I'd argue it was more important when you had to buy reagents that cost a lot and you had to go to merchants sometimes to get them reliably. But they did also drop out in the wild.

So they took this extremely basic DND concept and added a whole extra layer of gay on it for more thematically pleasing mechanics?

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
A good thing to do is buy sharpening stones and sharpen rusty weapons. I think that will get you near 20 blacksmithing. That will help with the failures.

Also the recipe itself doesn't vanish. That's the pattern, like for cutting out bits of cloth or leather if you've ever done any sewing. It is part of the combine.

And you'll learn the town. Takes awhile but I know the whole thing pretty much now. It is LARGE hehe.

• 1Like

Quaid

Trump's Staff
A good thing to do is buy sharpening stones and sharpen rusty weapons. I think that will get you near 20 blacksmithing. That will help with the failures.

Also the recipe itself doesn't vanish. That's the pattern, like for cutting out bits of cloth or leather if you've ever done any sewing. It is part of the combine.

And you'll learn the town. Takes awhile but I know the whole thing pretty much now. It is LARGE hehe.

Ok it’s the pattern that gets consumed on every failure for 1.2 silver. Still dumb.

And yeah you can’t help but learn the city since you have to run through it to the scattered vendors 10 times a level.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
You mean you guys don't throw away your cook book after you cook a meal from it!?

• 1Worf

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Your spell book is equipped an item.

When you die it stays on your corpse.

so you can’t memorize your spells for a corpse run.

• 1Worf
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 1 users

Mur

Trakanon Raider
Your spell book is equipped an item.

When you die it stays on your corpse.

so you can’t memorize your spells for a corpse run.

That's why you bank it. Quicker to run to bank, than it is to run to your corpse, so you aren't complete shit on the CR. But yeah, another level of retarded.

bolok

Trakanon Raider

Spent a good chunk of this go around doing some more new quests in the town. Elementalist wasn't nearly as bad as i thought it would be, but i did kinda luck into finding the water statue. Benefit of having explored other areas on different classes before.
Ended up getting dragged into a were-rat camp on the monk i leveled for this go. Good to know where the F it is now, for when i get back on my spell blade. But man that's a long ass run after a death without bind.