Most Hated Man in America

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Says the median is 155k a year. The guy was saying his wife makes 600k-840k a year with other people in the office making 1.4 million.

You have to factor overhead in, but it's still vastly higher than the guy is claiming.
There's lots of people who are complacent in low end jobs with low hours and low expectations and low pay.

If you're in practice in an office where your schedule is your own and you eat what you kill, if you're willing to churn more appointments and get more procedures you can make a shit ton.

Plenty of doctor's practices aren't "salaried employees" type of jobs they are more like small business owners and maximizing profit can be done.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
The doctor group my wife works for in the NICU all make obscene money because they profit share and the NNP's like her get paid from that pool. They do a large quantity of the work but the doctors do pull their weight. The doctors take all the responsibility and risk though.

niss_sl

shitlord
Those values are in line with what they actually make in practice. The other dude is claiming his pediatrician wife is taking in 800k/year. Even pediatric ENT surgeons working 12 hours a day 7 days a week popping in tympanostomy tubes would be hard pressed to make that much. But like I said before, people pass off a lot of bullshit on the internet.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Those values are in line with what they actually make in practice. The other dude is claiming his pediatrician wife is taking in 800k/year. Even pediatric ENT surgeons working 12 hours a day 7 days a week popping in tympanostomy tubes would be hard pressed to make that much. But like I said before, people pass off a lot of bullshit on the internet.
I said that's what she collects from insurance in a month. That would be only what she takes home if running a practice was free.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Not you or people who agree with you, though. Bullshit is only passed off by people you disagree with or whom disagree with you.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Importing it for decades without problem?

Sounds like government regulation is the problem here.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Importing it for decades without problem?

Sounds like government regulation is the problem here.

I guess we don't have any kind of reciprocity with Great Britain when it comes to drug approval. Europe tends to have quite higher standards when it comes to product safety so maybe we could just have the FDA approve whatever they approve?

• 2Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Maybe the FDA could suck a fucking dick and all kill themselves. About as beneficial as the dea or tsa at this point.

It's just idiotic at this point. 90% of the bullshit the FDA and the like do has zero to do consumer health and everything to do with corporate protection and welfare.

• 2Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So its a corticosteroid about on par with prednisone, which got fast-track FDA approval to be used for muscular dystrophy.

Why should the consumer all of a sudden saddle with costs just because a corticosteroid is going to be prescribed for his specific condition now and his doctor may/may not write it off-label anymore, instead opting for the latest branded corticosteroid.

When we have been treating muscular dystrophy with all the other corticosteroids already as standard-of-care off-label?

This is some major league cringe here. Sanders is right to call this out and we haven't even got to the core issue yet. The problem is that this is not a new, or innovative therapy. The fact is corticosteroids have been being used off-label in the USA for this and other auto-immune conditions for decades now. Something is seriously wrong, and I'm not sure if the FDA is even to blame. This seems like a greater system problem.

I don't think people realize how plain jane corticosteroid therapy is, and how this so-called "new drug" doesn't even seem to have any special properties about it that make it any different from the other 20 corticosteroids we have on the market. There has to be something I'm missing, there HAS TO BE SOMETHING special about this particular corticosteroid in order to justify this.

This was going to absolutely rape health insurers for absolutely no reason, and I am guessing that's why covert insurance lobbyist Sanders got involved. This is deeper than charging a lot because of approval costs, this is literally taking a therapy that is likely not any more effective than anything else, but because the FDA passed it for a specific condition, we should start paying through the nose for it instead of continuing to get whatever random corticosteroid for nearly free. And if you know corticosteroids, you know we already had plenty and the off-label use was working out just fine.

What's next? Is someone going to take a variation of prednisone and get it approved as the brand name treatment for SLE at 190k/yr? Why not do it for every single condition that is treated off-label with corticosteroids? That'd be about 200 more new drugs ready to charge the insurers 100k a pop on. Billion dollar industry waiting to be tapped on getting every corticosteroid approved for a different condition under a brand name.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but this is wrong for more reasons than the obvious. The system needs to be examined. Fast-tracking a corticosteroid? Fingering a specific corticosteroid that doesn't seem to have any extraordinary properties compared to its cousins except that its able to be patented and branded? Patenting a corticosteroid? Its just bizarre to me. I could understand if this was a gene therapy drug or something.

The pharmaceutical company itself admits that nobody needs to stop getting it cheap, implying they just wanted to tax the insurance companies with enough doctors they intend to reprogram into prescribing their specific ridiculously expensive version. Because off-label is bad mmmkay....

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Had a deal in the news a while back about the price of an epipen and a lady couldn't afford it for her kids and the story showed up over a week several times. Little while later they ran a story that the price of the generic pen was a fraction for the same thing, but doctors were too lazy to look up the name of the generic and few prescribed it as "generic OK' so pharmacies just filled it with the expensive one.

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
Had a deal in the news a while back about the price of an epipen and a lady couldn't afford it for her kids and the story showed up over a week several times. Little while later they ran a story that the price of the generic pen was a fraction for the same thing, but doctors were too lazy to look up the name of the generic and few prescribed it as "generic OK' so pharmacies just filled it with the expensive one.

Yeah that's a crock of shit. My experiences though have been that pharmacists where I go to try and use generics if possible, especially if insurers hardly cover the cost of the drug.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

This actually raises another great angle here. Why should doctors prescribe the latest patented corticosteroid when its generally accepted that all corticosteroids behave similarly anyway. Its just a way to milk insurance money, and it seems like racketeering of some kind. I must be missing some hard data on how great this shitty new corticosteroid is at treating muscular dystrophy, despite the pharmacokinetics of this class of drug not even really having any differentiation that we know of.

But I guess this was already in motion with SSRI's SNRI's and SDNRISXYAISI's and the latest and greatest diarrhea being pushed when there's already plenty of effective SSRI's already on the market. The only drug I have seen a doctor absolutely ignore the latest and greatest patent on (and I would guess its because they have more hands-on personal experience with it, using them in college-- hes an Ivy Leaguer) is Adderall prescriptions. Asking for the safer or latest and greatest, and I actually got shut down at breakneck speed and only offered mixed amphetamine salts because that's what he said he knew. I tried to explain my suggestion and he completely cut me off and blew me out, which I was thankful for-- after I learned I got the best bang for the buck, as well as the most "useful" *cough* of the ADD prescriptions.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Yeah that's a crock of shit. My experiences though have been that pharmacists where I go to try and use generics if possible, especially if insurers hardly cover the cost of the drug.

I think the prescription has to state if generic is OK. I know I had to get another prescription written recently because it didn't specifically state generic OK.

Same exact medicine, but the non generic has a patent to inject it 3 days a week as opposed to the generic of 7 days a week.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I always have this feeling that this guy with all those $$$ party a lot with all kind of hookers/drugs
I mean...I did and I don't have a lot of money. You bet your ass I would turn the dial to 11 if I was rich.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I think the prescription has to state if generic is OK. I know I had to get another prescription written recently because it didn't specifically state generic OK.

Exact opposite in most states.

Unless the script says NO GENERIC. Its 100% generic at every major pharmacy if a generic is available, you are getting a generic. CVS especially looks out for health insurance companies bottom line and pushes mostly all generic medication by default.

On topic, Shkreli is off to prison. The question now is will he get a lowsec Connecticut term or a USP appointment.

Last edited: