Most Hated Man in America

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Yes, this is what I was getting at. You start getting out of the massive debts and start being well off/wealthy depending on other factors closer to 40.
All of my in laws had 150-200k of loans when they finished med school. All of them except 1 (he's only 1 year out of fellowship) paid them off within 2 years. That last one will probably pay them off this year, he's making 400k...

If you're making $100-150k then yea it would be much harder, but thats probably a minority of pediatricians and family docs.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Or like 6 of my direct in laws I see twice a week are doctors and I know exactly how their pay and careers work. Yes, maybe that.
Cad confirmed jew.
biggrin.png

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
All of my in laws had 150-200k of loans when they finished med school. All of them except 1 (he's only 1 year out of fellowship) paid them off within 2 years. That last one will probably pay them off this year, he's making 400k...

If you're making $100-150k then yea it would be much harder, but thats probably a minority of pediatricians and family docs.
$150k starting for a pediatrician is actually pretty good. Primary care gets shit on hard.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

What are their specialties? 400k is very good and well above average for most MDs

Jait

Molten Core Raider
There's a lot of fucking factors and if Cad is in the know, he damn well knows there's a lot of good doctors in Kaiser's system, or still waiting to start their practice. And some are fucking retards who only pay the god damned interest each month until their husband points out to them they don't need to spend the Navient fucking minimum.

Although I imagine if he has 6 doctors around him they also probably help each other quite a bit. Like any other industry it's who you know, not what.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Why bookend that statement with radiologist instead of saying radio x2?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I like Vaclad personally. It's like, "son of" or something. But then again it's Cad, the millionaire lawyer from Texas. Him not having 6+ doctors in his family would probably be more surprising.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff

Your family is a pretty huge outlier when it comes to this stuff. I mean, you made it as a lawyer despite law being on average one of the worst career paths there is right now. Unless you graduate from a top school or have perfect grades you're about as employable as a gender studies major, but with a lot more debt.

Its really questionable if med school is worth it these days. In addition to the debt and 10 years of opportunity costs, you also have to factor in that 1 in 3 people that go to med school today will wind up with nothing to show for it but debt. Either they don't graduate or fail to match after graduation. In addition, the system could go public at any point, leaving you paying off your private debts on a public salary. Medicine is still $$$ if you can be in the top 10% and nail that dermatology residency, but there's a lot of other people that think they can do that too.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Your family is a pretty huge outlier when it comes to this stuff. I mean, you made it as a lawyer despite law being on average one of the worst career paths there is right now. Unless you graduate from a top school or have perfect grades you're about as employable as a gender studies major, but with a lot more debt.
Definitely think they should just shut down the bottom 150 law schools. They just suck money from people who probably won't be lawyers anyway.

Its really questionable if med school is worth it these days. In addition to the debt and 10 years of opportunity costs, you also have to factor in that 1 in 3 people that go to med school today will wind up with nothing to show for it but debt. Either they don't graduate or fail to match after graduation. In addition, the system could go public at any point, leaving you paying off your private debts on a public salary. Medicine is still $$$ if you can be in the top 10% and nail that dermatology residency, but there's a lot of other people that think they can do that too.
Of the 18,025 U.S. allopathic seniors who submitted program preferences for the 2015 Match, 16,932 matched to first-year positions, achieving an overall match rate of 93.9 percent. The number of matched seniors, 500 more than last year, is an all-time high. Of the U.S. seniors who matched, 51.6 percent matched to their first choice for training.
Press Release: 2015 Residency Match Largest on Record with More Than 41,000 Applicants Vying for Over 30,000 Residency Positions in 4,756 Programs |

?

Am I missing something with the "allopathic" qualifier? That seems like a pretty good match rate to me.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Definitely think they should just shut down the bottom 150 law schools. They just suck money from people who probably won't be lawyers anyway.

Press Release: 2015 Residency Match Largest on Record with More Than 41,000 Applicants Vying for Over 30,000 Residency Positions in 4,756 Programs |

?

Am I missing something with the "allopathic" qualifier? That seems like a pretty good match rate to me.
90% match rate * 80% graduation rate = 72% chance of actually being able to practice for someone that entered medical school 4-6 years ago. For people that enter today, it's lower because the match rate is expected to decline. Most residency positions are funded by Medicare, and this funding has been fixed since something like the '90s. So 4-6 years from now it will be lower.