Most recognized brand from each of the 50 states

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
For each of the fifty states (and the District of Columbia), I selected a corporation or brand that best represented the states. My criteria are subjective, but in each case, I tried to use a brand that a) is based in that state and b) is still in business (as of 2012).
Apple for California? I dunno, I guess. It doesn't feel right, but not sure what else I'd put there.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
There are few companies more recognizable today than Apple. Yeah, fuck Apple, but everyone knows exactly who/what they are.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
GEICO for Maryland? I'd say that's more synonymous with D.C. Should be Old Bay.

Do people outside of the mid-Atlantic even know about Old Bay?
It's probably because of Geico's HQ in Chevy Chase. Also probably because every driver in this region is horrible and there a ton of accidents.

I had no clue what Old Bay was until I moved to the DC region.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
There are few companies more recognizable today than Apple. Yeah, fuck Apple, but everyone knows exactly who/what they are.
I don't disagree, but what has that to do with anything? Right above you I quoted the criteria the guy used to select brands. How does Apple best represent California? I don't see it /shrug

Cybsled

California has always been seen as a big tech place, so picking one of the most internationally recognized tech companies makes sense. Plus, it's older than stuff like Google.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Arizona should be crystal meth.
Go ahead and add Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Arkansas, Texas, New Mexico, and probably quite a few other states to that claim. Shits rampant in ststes with a large amount of rural areas.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
California has always been seen as a big tech place, so picking one of the most internationally recognized tech companies makes sense. Plus, it's older than stuff like Google.
If we were talking solely about brand awareness I would say Disney is the most recognized brand from California.

Anyways the guy who put it together didn't really use infamy as the criteria, instead he chose the brand that best represents that state.

One thing I discovered while writing this article is that corporations are not evenly distributed across the country. Some states, such New Mexico, Alaska, Montana and West Virginia, simply do not host many big corporations. Others host so many that choosing one was difficult.In these cases, I went with the company that I though best represented the state, rather than the biggest or most notorious. Hence, I used Dr Pepper for Texas instead of ExxonMobil. I used Apple for California instead of Google or Facebook. I also had a problem with some of the smaller states like Vermont and Delawar

Neki

Molten Core Raider
The most recognisable brand from Rhode Island surely must be...

38Studios.jpg

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
MN is dumb like mentioned above. Dairy Queen, General Mills and 3M are also from here.

Combined with Target and Best Buy........Pillsbury makes no sense.
Being totally nitpick-ity, but General Mills actually owns Pillsbury (I was working there during the merger), but it's more the brand than the company.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
And Pillsbury is a brand that has been quite recognizable going back probably 50 years. Target and Best Buy maybe half that timeframe, tops. Dairy Queen seems to have faded in the last decade (most around here in KC closed in the last 10-15 years, we have maybe 2 or 3 left total, when there used to be dozens)

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I had to wiki Allsup's only to find that they're claim to fame is some clerk being raped and murdered. Suck it New Mexico.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
And Pillsbury is a brand that has been quite recognizable going back probably 50 years. Target and Best Buy maybe half that timeframe, tops. Dairy Queen seems to have faded in the last decade (most around here in KC closed in the last 10-15 years, we have maybe 2 or 3 left total, when there used to be dozens)
I would put 3M above Pillsbury personally.