MTG thread

Strossus

Silver Knight of the Realm
my LGS decided he wanted to not only not sell at MSRP, the preorders he did have, he told them to basically to fuckoff and said if they wanted there boxes they'd have to pony up the extra cash, or get a Portion of there money back

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
That's pretty much the point where I would tell him to get fucked and find a new LGS.

I'm very lucky to have known the store owner near me for well over a decade, and we've been friends since before he opened the shop. He's selling one box at MSRP to all his regulars who wanted a preorder, and then selling his remaining packs in the store at retail. It's how he does all his product. He also has the best prize support in town, since he gives store credit rather than packs. He even lets regulars run a tab.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
As someone how is an old school gamer, I want to get a box of this not for the individual cards, but to draft / play sealed with it. Between my two brothers and I, we already own play sets of all the cards in it. We are thinking of getting a box hopefully around $200 and just doing a 4 person sealed with 6 packs each and then use all the cards for trade-bait for new sets.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
A few of us at my LGS are planning to do Draught Drafts. Wait til the shop closes, break out the beer and do drafts for fun. The owner of the box keeps the cards, we're just cracking the packs to play with em.

Xalara

Golden Squire
That's pretty much the point where I would tell him to get fucked and find a new LGS.

I'm very lucky to have known the store owner near me for well over a decade, and we've been friends since before he opened the shop. He's selling one box at MSRP to all his regulars who wanted a preorder, and then selling his remaining packs in the store at retail. It's how he does all his product. He also has the best prize support in town, since he gives store credit rather than packs. He even lets regulars run a tab.
Yeah that's pretty shitty situation and I would also boycott the store and get my friends too as well. Beyond that Modern Masters is just in a really weird when it comes to pricing. Card Kingdom, the biggest game shop in Seattle, is selling for $250+. At the same time they didn't do preorders before allocations and price were known, plus they have a large online presence. As they said on their Facebook page: "If we sold at MSRP StarCity would buy everything and then sell for $300." On the flip side one of the other local shops that has an online presence, Green Lake Games, sold their boxes offline at MSRP ($180).

Oh yeah, then there's the local store that took preorders and only has enough product to fulfill like a third of them. It would really suck to be in their position right now...

Xalara

Golden Squire
Double post...
frown.png

frown.png

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I did a pre-order for a box of 13 core at some shitty shop in town. I had just gotten back into the game and didn't really look around, just searched for the closest. I showed up a day after release and they we're "sold out." It got pretty ugly but at least I walked out with my money. I've since found much much better shops.

Algiz

N00b
The more I watch the Modern Masters drama, the more I think I'll just try to buy 4 Dark Confidants if they drop to semi-reasonable and ignore the rest.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Ooze is a reasonable substitute. Goyf is honestly just an efficient beatstick. I don't think the price will dip much at all after a brief drop for most cards in the set that quickly recovers. Some of the rares will go down a bit more, like Cryptic Command, Tooth and Nail, etc.

Honestly, what's doing absolutely fuck all to make Modern more accessible is the lack of fetch lands in the set. Until an upcoming set reprints the fetches like RtR did the shocks, Modern will remain way beyond the financial means of most players.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Goyf is replaceable. It's big and efficient, but you can still make a deck without it. You just can't compete without a Modern mana base though.

Debating what to play for FNM this week. I've been playing Bant Control for two weeks and enjoy it. Progenitor Mimic is probably the most fun card in Dragon's Maze, imo. Thinking about putting together a Junk Aristocrats list. Varolz, Cartel Aristocrat, etc. It's my favorite color combo, and it looks like it might be fun.

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
Ooze is a reasonable substitute. Goyf is honestly just an efficient beatstick. I don't think the price will dip much at all after a brief drop for most cards in the set that quickly recovers. Some of the rares will go down a bit more, like Cryptic Command, Tooth and Nail, etc.

Honestly, what's doing absolutely fuck all to make Modern more accessible is the lack of fetch lands in the set. Until an upcoming set reprints the fetches like RtR did the shocks, Modern will remain way beyond the financial means of most players.
I'd be pretty surprised if fetches weren't in M15 or the 2014 fall set that will make RtR rotate out. I doubt they want to have fetches and shocks in standard at the same time, but the mana base cost is a pretty obvious problem and they've already addressed half of it with shocks in RtR.

Strossus

Silver Knight of the Realm
my friend wants to make soem hodgepodge junk deck abusing Valroz & geist honored monk,voice of resurgence & who knows what else, seems cute though

Chris

Potato del Grande
I think they said that missing obvious Modern reprints would turn up in other sets soon?

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
my friend wants to make soem hodgepodge junk deck abusing Valroz & geist honored monk,voice of resurgence & who knows what else, seems cute though
It's not just cute. I playtested a GWB list with Varolz, Cartel Aristocrat, Voice, and Scion of Vitu Ghazi yesterday in anticipation of FNM. I won about 70% of the games, testing vs. a mirror match, esper solar flare, RG aggro, naya aggro, and a couple local brews. It plays a lot like a much more resilient but less explosive Aristocrats Act 2.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Took down a 52 person FNM last night with a Junk Aristocrats list. Doomed Traveler, Cartel Aristocrat, Varolz, Skirsdag High Priest, etc. Any game where I was allowed to get a High Priest online I won handily. My only dropped match was to a RW humans aggro deck where I just had absolute crap draws and couldn't find a decent beater. I still won one game, but lost the other two when I couldn't ever get past 3 lands.

Applied the winnings to my Modern Masters box, for which I paid a grand total of $85 out of pocket. Not bad.