MTG thread

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
I started my brewing with GB Delirium. Mindwrack Demon is a good dude, but I quickly learned how good Declaration In Stone was at ruining my day. I figured Thought-Knot Seer and Reality Smasher were both creatures that could at least give you some resistance vs DiS. I was already running 4 Llanowar Waste + 4 Evolving Wilds, so adding a Wastes to the Drownyard Temples wasn't even really a cost. I top 4'd a 29 person PPTQ with it but this was before the Humans decks came out.

Here's my current list:

4 Deathcap Cultivator
3 Sylvan Advocate
2 Den Protector
4 Tireless Tracker
4 Thought Knot Seer
4 Reality Smasher
2 The Gitrog Monster

3 Traverse the Ulvenwald
3 Oath of Nissa
2 Sinister Concoction
2 Ultimate Price
3 Grasp of Darkness

1 Wastes
1 Blighted Fen
2 Drownyard Temple
4 Hissing Quagmire
4 Llanowar Wastes
4 Forest
4 Swamp

Sideboard is still a mess. Some Clip Wings, Languish, Ruinous Path. I've had good success with Evolutionary Leap from the SB vs the BW decks. I'm going to try Natural State next as a way to wreck an Always Watching or free a Reality Smasher from a Stasis Snare.

Any thoughts/feedback?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
It seems possible that WotC has taken sufficient advantage of its volunteers such that they have crossed into actionable territory.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They stopped giving judges Promos as "payment" in order to avoid this. Which in turn lead to the spike in Grand Prix Entry Costs, since the judges' actual employers, the TOs, had to offer more compensation to make up for the now lost judge promos (they still technically exist, but the Exemplar program is more about having friends willing to lie about you than it is payment for services rendered).

norp

Bronze Squire
I honestly feel like Wotc hasn't had their shit together for as long as they've been around. Between Magic online, all the little Magic duels games, and overall play structure of the main game (judge issues, event issues, store relations, etc) it becomes pretty apparent they haven't managed the IP that well. Only saving grace has honestly been design.

Xalara

Golden Squire
The BG control deck is certainly something. I love it, however it gets hosed pretty hard by anything with counterspells to stop the loop. The interesting question is: Can the Dark Petition/Seasons Past Package be ported into other decks? Until it was banned, in modern nearly every deck running blue had the Splinter Twin package.

Xalara

Golden Squire
Also the BG control deck hilariously has a hard time against bant company because bant company operates at instant speed. I doubt we've seen the last of bant company.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I literally turned off the stream after the first three quarterfinals matches finished.. No longer care about the result!

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Big shakeup announcements at the Pro Tour:
-No More Modern Pro Tour
Opinion: Good, can we get a side of Twin and Pod unban to go with that now that you don't need the format to be "interesting"?
-Platinum Pro and Hall of Fame Appearance Fee cut from $3000 to $250, because "$3k wasn't enough to fulfill the program's goal of making magic-as-a-lifestyle possible, so we nuked the program from orbit." ~50-60% of the money this saves is being moved into the World Championship Prize pool, upping it to 100k for first place.
Opinion: I guess they want eSports-level hype for Worlds stream or something. Probably means we won't be seeing many appearances of favorite "old pros" anymore, since their chance of actually breaking even/making money on the weekend cratered. Also a huge fuck you to anyone who spent a bunch of money GP grinding this year to reach Platinum for next year. I guess we'll get to see if the MMO Argument that "reduced rewards for the hardcore impacts casual participation because they have less to dream about/strive for" applies in RL
biggrin.png

Sterling

El Presidente
Big shakeup announcements at the Pro Tour:
-No More Modern Pro Tour
Opinion: Good, can we get a side of Twin and Pod unban to go with that now that you don't need the format to be "interesting"?
-Platinum Pro and Hall of Fame Appearance Fee cut from $3000 to $250, because "$3k wasn't enough to fulfill the program's goal of making magic-as-a-lifestyle possible, so we nuked the program from orbit." ~50-60% of the money this saves is being moved into the World Championship Prize pool, upping it to 100k for first place.
Opinion: I guess they want eSports-level hype for Worlds stream or something. Probably means we won't be seeing many appearances of favorite "old pros" anymore, since their chance of actually breaking even/making money on the weekend cratered. Also a huge fuck you to anyone who spent a bunch of money GP grinding this year to reach Platinum for next year. I guess we'll get to see if the MMO Argument that "reduced rewards for the hardcore impacts casual participation because they have less to dream about/strive for" applies in RL
biggrin.png
At first I thought the 250 instead of 3k thing was a typo and missing a zero. Nope. Imagine they'll walk it back and have the benefits stay the same for next season, but holy shit that just seems really dumb.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Played at the last prerelease for the first time in almost a decade. Made a decent deck with what I had, but went 2-2 due to them having Mythics and me none. Those cards are on another level. It felt broken, like something needs to change. Literally every game lost I was ahead until a mythic boarded and swung the tempo so hard I couldn't compete.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Played at the last prerelease for the first time in almost a decade. Made a decent deck with what I had, but went 2-2 due to them having Mythics and me none. Those cards are on another level. It felt broken, like something needs to change. Literally every game lost I was ahead until a mythic boarded and swung the tempo so hard I couldn't compete.
Some bombs are mythic, not all mythics are bombs. Depends entirely on what the board state and the card was.

Mythic is "supposed" to denote a complicated card, not necessarily a powerful card. However they often are, especially in limited, where the higher costed ones are more likely to see play. Just is what it is man. Bombs demand an immediate answer.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
@sacel
Yea, but common/uncommon removal can often deal with those bombs if you haven't wasted it on smaller threats beforehand. Some of my best sealed decks ever at prereleases had absolutely no bombs, just tons of consistency and good cards all around.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
@sacel
Yea, but common/uncommon removal can often deal with those bombs if you haven't wasted it on smaller threats beforehand. Some of my best sealed decks ever at prereleases had absolutely no bombs, just tons of consistency and good cards all around.
Same here. You build around removal and efficient/evasive threats then think about bombs. I've won plenty of drafts and sealed flights without any rares making my deck.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Hey guys, just getting back into MtG in the past few weeks.
Been playing MtGO for a few years now but man it's always a pain in the ass to build new decks once I am out of touch with current standard. Decided to
buy some paper so I grabbed a fat pack and like 15 boosters.
Pretty sweet little start up
- got a Declaration in Stone, Nahiri Harbinger, Sorin, Ormendahl, and a bunch of other good cards.

My thing is...is there like an online encyclopedia for each set so I can see literally every card that exists in a set so I can build a deck that way and then go acquire the cards? Right now I have some decent vampire/spirit/human/zombie decks but all of them are missing some good shit or a full playset to
make them truly viable.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Thanks man, exacty what I was looking for.
I feel so fucking lucky right now. I snagged a fat pack tonight and got an Archangel Avacyn, my second Declaration in Stone, and a Sorin.
They're not even what I was building towards my main deck but damn they're just too good not
to build around now. Feels right though considering I spent an ungodly amount online and never got shit through the boosters.