MTG thread

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Why are cards like Stomping Ground so expensive?
There seem to be better uncommon lands and stuff, maybe I'm missing something. I got a foil one from a Zendi booster and have no desire in keeping it.
If someone here would want to buy it, PM me.

Necrath Evilcraft

Golden Knight of the Realm
That cycle "Shocklands" are fetchable via the fetch lands from zendikar and onslaught/khans because they have the types on them and form the versatile mana base that make modern function.

The specific one from the Zendi booster is an expedition. These cards are very rare and desirable so they command a premium in price. Stomping Ground is still a great card, but a regular copy isn't nearly as expensive as that version. No modern era uncommon land is better than this FWIW.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Also, something you'll learn as you play more, 2 life is worth less than the tempo-hit of a land coming into play tapped much of the time (but not all of the time). Most uncommon lands are worse than the Shockland rare cycle because the "important" turns in the formats where the Shocklands are legal are turns 1-3, where uncommon dual lands tend to enter play tapped.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
It definitely makes more sense now in the context of other formats, especially considering the fetch. I understood the tempo is worth the life, I just never saw it as a $90 card but I kinda see now. Uncommon lands I was referring to were actually from a few standard cycles ago but yeah they are not better I guess I just meant I didn't grasp a massive difference in the two until now. Cool, thanks guys.

Simas_sl

shitlord
Normal stomping grounds are a bit pricey for the reasons people stated, but you pulled what is essentially a super-rare special stomping grounds. That is why it's $90 and not $20.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I don't think any shock is $20 at this point. Maybe Steam Vents is getting close. They printed them into the ground during RTR block. The originals demand a little bit of a premium, but not what they used to.

It's very unlikely we will ever get a better mana base for modern than the shockland / fetchland combo. Really, it's fetches that make the whole thing function (hence their use in legacy and vintage as well). If you're looking to build out a proper collection, having your 40x fetches + 40x shocks should be your first step. They'll let you build towards anything else.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The Shock lands are also only 1x-2x ofs in decks (with a few exceptions, hi scapeshift!), thanks to the Fetches, which lowers their price threshold.

Remmy

Currently dealing with a grade A faggot at the LGS edh group that I play with every tuesday. He's playing Zur deck, and thinks it's enjoyable to drop Mana vortex, stasis, and winter orbs asap. For some reason he thinks locking the game down and everyone passing turn for an hour and a half is enjoyable. I've been trying to make a deck to hate him out of the playgroup, but is still generally enjoyable to play. I will be giving this a shot next week.Bant Bad behavior (Commander / EDH MTG Deck)

Remmy

Is this a multi-player EDH that you are playing in? Anyone who plays multi-player EDH is a crazy person.

EDH multiplayer is the ONLY way to play =p. 3-5 players is optimal. There is a one on one edh format though, I think it's the "french" rules or something? A huge part of normal EDH is the politics and human interaction.

Rime

<Donor>
EDH in any form is boring faggotry.
Eh. Combo/OTK/Lockdown decks are annoying as heck.

Group I used to play with would do 'crappy tribals' EDH. Which was things like Clerics or Rats or Humans or whatever. I think there is also a version called Tiny Commanders or something along those lines, which is an EDH format with no Mythic cards/Dual Lands/Power 9/etc cards.

Remmy

EDH in any form is boring faggotry.
I would venture to say a few games of EDH will provide more excitement and intrigue than an entire years worth of standard/modern pro tour coverage.

If the decks are built correctly the gameplay is extremely diverse. I personally enjoy 1990's game pacing, and design space for deck creativity... so EDH is one of the last frontiers where I can avoid net decking tryhards (at least with much less frequency in comparison to other formats), and tryhards in general since people that build unfun abusive decks typically get ganged up on quickly. It also allows me to make use of all the old random cards I have collected over the years. 30+ year old disposable income EDH master race driving up your singles prices. Although I do recognize how certain types of players can create gamestates that are boring and degenerative to the format.

Sterling

El Presidente
EDH is all fun and games until someone asks what happens when someone plays Titania's song with a Mycosynth Lattice in play. Layers are fun.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
EDH is great with a consistent group of like-minded players. Much like any casual-play format. The problem is finding that group for you.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The last actual format of MTG I played was "competitive" EDH, weekly tournaments on Tuesday nights.

Banlist makes perfect sense once you actually start tuning EDH decks to be competitive rather than circlejerk multiplayer piles. I don't agree with fully all of it, and a number of them are banned for purely multiplayer reasons, but it's not just some random pile.

At the dude with Zur problems, I play Zur, and really it sounds like your problem is that Zur is getting to turn sideways multiple times per game. That's gonna nearly always be a loss, or at best a very very uphill battle. Your strategy mostly needs to revolve around not letting Zur do that, and after he has to recast him at +2 a few times he'll run out of mana to play him reliably and protect him.