MTG thread

Flight

Molten Core Raider
I use Urza's Saga. You get John Avon, Rob Alexander, Donato Giancola and Anthony Waters. The old border/color being different makes a bit easier to find. And the sweet sweet nostalgia.

Urza's Saga wasn't foiled was it, yet I see Urza's Saga foil basics around. Were they in something else too ?

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
are there any other websites or podcasts that are good for modern players?

I pretty much use mtgtop8 to see what decks are winning
star city games has some articles
modern nexus I look at

listen to masters of modern podcasts, I can't seem to find any other podcasts that focus on modern.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Crane is a fine card but feels more sideboard to me than main. He's not very aggressive, which is how affinity tends to win a lot of game 1s before sideboard hate comes in. I could see bringing him in though if you need to dig specifically for etched champion or something in a bad matchup.

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah, I mean if your expected metagame involves a lot of removal heavy decks and less linear decks sure, but otherwise sideboard seems more appropriate. As ronne mentions you win a lot of game 1s by being as fast as possible. The whole land opal memnite signal pest vault scourge into plating draws.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The immediate hateboner the internet has for these masterpieces is hilarious.

Sterling

El Presidente
The immediate hateboner the internet has for these masterpieces is hilarious.
I don't really care for how they look, but then I didn't really care for the earlier ones either. They look like some shit from the old Middle Earth CCG.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
ICE's Middle Earth CCG would actually be a lot better as a Digital CCG, now that you make me think of the game. Have the computer handle map movement and hazards, slim the decks down, computer RNG for some reason is more acceptable than dice RNG to most people.

You could probably retool the whole thing and even have "loot tables" at the different locations, instead of having to run the items in your deck proper. Have the option of either getting a choice of a few random things out of the location, or play a specific one from your hand.

Victory points tracked in a more visible manner, Faction allegiance less board-clutter-y.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I don't mind these masterpieces, but damn it took me a few seconds to realize I could even read the names.
The thing is, they don't look anything like normal magic cards, so I understand the hate. But, I also appreciate what WOTC was trying to do and they went all-in on the design. They do look VERY egyptian.
So, if taken outside the context of magic, I think they are gorgeous, but when evaluated inside the context of magic, they are pretty bad. Hard to read the titles, hard to see the color of the card at a glance (gold stands out more then anything), etc..

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I like what they are trying to do and all. The ones from Kaladesh were way better because they were at least readable and still recognizable.

These look more like Yu-gi-oh cards or that Pokemon Mew from the movie.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Just need some minor clarification on some interaction.

I have a Scab-Clan Berserker which has the following rule text: Whenever an opponent casts a noncreature spell, if Scab-Clan Berserker is renowned, Scab-Clan Berserker deals 2 damage to that player.

I have Cranial Plating that has the following text: 2B Attach Cranial Plating to target creature you control.

I am assuming that anything like that where it isn't done as an equip would trigger that 2 damage, is that correct?