MTG thread

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Both the Equip ability and the other Attach ability are activated abilities and not spells. After a Cranial Plating or any other permanent resolves and is on the battlefield it is no longer a spell and won't ever be a spell again unless it is returned to the player's hand and the choose to play it again. A renowned Scab-Clan Berserker will never do damage to a player for using an activated ability.

In comparison -

Burning-Tree Shaman (Guildpact) - Gatherer - Magic: The Gathering

This would do damage when someone equipped a Cranial Plating or when they paid the alternative attach cost but never when it was cast.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
Blergh. The card name font is basically unreadable and all caps in the text box is driving me insane for some reason.

I don't blame them for trying this direction but I'd love to see the market research results.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Both the Equip ability and the other Attach ability are activated abilities and not spells. After a Cranial Plating or any other permanent resolves and is on the battlefield it is no longer a spell and won't ever be a spell again unless it is returned to the player's hand and the choose to play it again. A renowned Scab-Clan Berserker will never do damage to a player for using an activated ability.

In comparison -

Burning-Tree Shaman (Guildpact) - Gatherer - Magic: The Gathering

This would do damage when someone equipped a Cranial Plating or when they paid the alternative attach cost but never when it was cast.
Thanks, I am also told that attach is at instant speed so if I have the mana I can cycle it through my attacking creatures to have them do damage one by one. This is true?

Chris

Potato del Grande
No damage happens simultaneously so only one creature can have the cranial plating boost.

You can move it after blockers are declared or in responce to kill spells so it's still going to do the damage which is what the ability is used for.

Sterling

El Presidente
Thanks, I am also told that attach is at instant speed so if I have the mana I can cycle it through my attacking creatures to have them do damage one by one. This is true?
The BB attach ability is instant, but damage all happens at once so this would only work by moving it from a first striking creature that has dealt first strike damage to a non first strike creature before damage.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I like what they are trying to do and all. The ones from Kaladesh were way better because they were at least readable and still recognizable.

These look more like Yu-gi-oh cards or that Pokemon Mew from the movie.

Aside from the art, I hate everything about these cards. Not because I've been playing this damn game for 2 decades and I'm set in my ways. But, objectively, they are fucking impossible to read or discern color and cost.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Brain in a jar looks fun in modern, might be something to actually get me into it.

» Deck of the Day: Grixis Fuse (Modern)

The reanimator versoin is cute, but I'm not convinced it's better than just running a traditional through the breach/goryos plan.

I'm playing an esper brain deck right now that mostly plays a control/disruption plan and eventually just wins through attrition and card advantage off beck/call and lingering souls. Brain is at its best when you're using it for more than just trying to cheat out one big fuse spell, as that can be gimmicky and unreliable. Walking up the chain of charge counters on it for like fatal push > countersquall > esper charm > supreme verdict is plenty of tempo advantage on its own, and instant speed wraths are just backbreaking for anything that wants to win via creatures.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
Today's topic for you Modern wizards:

If we get a reprint of cycling lands in the new set, is there a viable Loam deck in Modern?

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Slower than Dredge and nailed by all the same meta. Will make it a stronger fnm.deck, tho

Wantonsoup95

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I never played to win, always liked decks that have fun mechanics. I really like edh but it's not a big thing at the local store.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Oh my god what the fuck have they done with those masterpiece cards? They are hideous and worse, difficult to read the card name. WHY.

The lands/artifacts in the previous sets with the elaborate borders were really nice.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I feel like they originally wanted to make them completely unreadable hieroglyphics, something akin to the phyrexian language Elesh Norn, but then got told far too late in the process that the cards have to be legible, and this half-assed monstrosity was the result.

I'd like them a ton more if they had just fully gone for it and none of the text on them was legible ala:

82627_200w.jpg

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Cycling etbt dual lands is a nice choice. More fetchable duals for edh. Bant now has enough duals to activate Emeria without basic plains.

Last edited:

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Split card rules change coming with Amonkhet release: Split cards converted mana cost is now simplified to just be the combined CMC of both halves as long as it's anywhere but the stack. While on the stack, the split card has the CMC of whichever side you're casting.

This destroys a ton of of lower-tier fun shit in older formats. The Kari Zev's Expertise/Brain in the Jar decks, which were super fun, are dead. Most of the impactful Isochron Scepter combos are dead. Counterbalance decks in Legacy can no longer use Wear/Tear to hard lock Lands players out of casting spells. You can no longer cascade into Boom/Bust for cheap geddons.

Can't decide whether this leaves me happy or sad. It's good that it's cleaning up a needlessly silly section of rules, but it's bad that it's taking a lot of fun quirky stuff with it.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The quirks and rough edges of a game give it character. Smoothing some of them out may look desirable but it isn't always.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I'm tired of "the rule wasn't intuitive." The goal should be easy to learn, hard to master. Not easy to guess.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user