MTG thread

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Of course, this set also has "Cycle or Discard" in it, which has already created a plethora of confused noob questions. Including a few dear souls who think it means "triggers twice when you cycle!"

Attempts to clarify can definitely backfire :D

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Finally got a chance to see the Masterpiece cards. I agree with pretty much all the hate I've heard so far for them. Readability, color, CAPITALS, etc.

On top of all that, the art is super insipid. Several times I had to go back to an earlier card to make sure they weren't just carbon copying art. Thats a shame. If they want these to feel like super momentous moments worth carving into the side of a tomb; they had the perfect chance to take original printing art for each card (be that alpha, be it weatherlight, be it whatever), run it through a Bas Relief filter, simplify it to the most important lines, and then tint and wash it out into a sandstone'y color.

For the noobs, it'd just be a random scrawl/squiggle/outline, but the easter egg would be there for the older players. "Hey, that reminds me of, oshit, that's from xxxx"

A shitty, 5 minutes in GIMP example:

Counterspell-Invocation1.png

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Tank Gideon is pretty amusing. Of course, most modern-day combo decks will just kill Gideon at the same turn they kill you.

GideonTank.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I think he's actually super viable in a u/w control shell for modern. He buys time very well when combined with single target removal, especially given moderns tendency to run large singular threats ala deaths shadow and such. Dumping a supreme verdict with him in play vs any kind of creature strategy sure sounds like winning to me.

Also worth noting the emblem doesn't care about it being this particular gideon, so you could fire off this emblem then slam Jura and go in to full turtle mode, make them commit additional resources to the board, etc.

In standard I'm not sure he'll do much until old Gideon rotates?

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
In Standard you can do an opener like:

t1 tapped dual, t2 heart of kiran, t3 new gideon

+1 onto their threat, activate Heart, beat for 4

You have a 3 loyalty Gideon ready to defend with Heart and they have a threat that can't do damage.

Maybe you cut down on 4drop Gideons, lower the curve and go more aggressive?

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Maze of Ith is not a trivial ability. He's pretty strong as a defensive walker. It forces aggro decks to extend on the board, setting them up for a wrath.

I would gladly try him in an esper deck. There's a dearth of proactive 3 drops for control anyway.

Wantonsoup95

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Saw this comment on the new Gideon.

T2: Heart of Kiran
T3: This guy, make emblem, crew heart, swing 4
T4: Crew heart, play BFZ Gideon, make knight, swing 4
T5: Wonder why no one shows up to play Standard anymore.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Heckbent as a mechanic is amusing (You get to keep 1 card, so it's not as bad of a place to be as Hellbent!).

Wantonsoup95

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
3 mana with double black sorcery speed planeswalker removal. And a terrible read the bones spell.

Now a brain geyser but instant speed? Blue white control coming hard, blah.

Looks like standard is out for a while for this guy. They really needed better instant removal. This block just doesn't look fun.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I'm far more interested in how much this ruins lantern control, and miracles/top in legacy really.

Sterling

El Presidente
I'm far more interested in how much this ruins lantern control, and miracles/top in legacy really.
Affinity won't enjoy it being on the other side either. Less exciting in Standard unless there's a lot more activated abilities that haven't been spoiled. Crewing and Evolving Wilds though.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Aaand the black god is spoiled and is pretty much flat inferior to Yahenni for any shenanigans you have planned.