MTG thread

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
I played the mizuhara deck at the SCG yesterday. My first or possibly second playing standard in like 8 months so made some sideboarding and play errors but the deck is a lot of fun to play. I'm still not a big fan of standard but this standard seems a lot more fun than the RTR block standard, despite my much better showing in RTR standard w/ top 8s and such.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Went 2-2 yesterday but should have won game 3 at 2-0 if not for stupid error, I don't know how I could have possibly lost g3 and g4
frown.png

Went 3-1 today for top 8 and was out after the first round, again made a stupid error and could have won...

I think that I did great and should feel pleased that my hexproof deck works, but I instead feel bad about those errors :/

Xalara

Golden Squire
Went 2-2 yesterday but should have won game 3 at 2-0 if not for stupid error, I don't know how I could have possibly lost g3 and g4
frown.png

Went 3-1 today for top 8 and was out after the first round, again made a stupid error and could have won...

I think that I did great and should feel pleased that my hexproof deck works, but I instead feel bad about those errors :/
Don't feel bad, at the Game Day yesterday where I went 5-1 I arguably could have gone 6-0 if I wasn't stupid and turn one Thoughtseized a Loxodon Smiter.

Mahes

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Don't feel bad, at the Game Day yesterday where I went 5-1 I arguably could have gone 6-0 if I wasn't stupid and turn one Thoughtseized a Loxodon Smiter.
Nicely done sir. I am sure your opponent got a good chuckle out of that.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's funny how you can know all the card text so well and still make mistakes like that during gameplay.

Way back in the day storytime:

I played at an Urza's sealed deck and cracked Morphling, Hermetic Study and Horseshoe Crab. Ended up doing very well with it, machine gunning the board clear in many games. I got into a tight spot in one game, my friend was watching over my shoulder. I lucked into winning when I had no right. I could have ended the game turns earlier, but for some reason I thought it cost U to +1/-1 Morphling instead of 1 colorless. I wrote RTFC on the back of my hand as a helpful reminder for the rest of the day.

Mahes

Yeah, there is a certain magnet that taps creatures that comes into play with 3 counters. I lost a game because I forgot it also tapped artifacts.

So, new box and fat pack. Opened fat pack with 3 packs out of the box and got an Elspeth 2 duals and a Hythonia the cruel. Hythonia is worth jack, but at least the foil version of her was also in the pack.

Mahes

Yeah...tumble magnet. The reason the artifact portion was important was that I was facing another tumble magnet.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Back from GP Louisville. I went 6-3 and missed day two. My lack of success was a combination of my own poor deck construction (I made 6 terrible card changes 10 minutes before the tournament began) and some extremely gut wrenching mulligans to 5 in rounds 6 and 8.

I definitely need to do a better job these weekend at the Invitational.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Back from GP Louisville. I went 6-3 and missed day two. My lack of success was a combination of my own poor deck construction (I made 6 terrible card changes 10 minutes before the tournament began) and some extremely gut wrenching mulligans to 5 in rounds 6 and 8.

I definitely need to do a better job these weekend at the Invitational.
Yes you do! What the Fuck! Buck up soldier! Go go go!!!

Lusiphur

Peasant
So, I am thinking about jumping back on MTGO and playing some Theros sealed as you guys are saying its a good set. Normally, I just stick with what I have for Modern but feel like breaking back into Standard.
What's the money cards? I know about Thoughtseize (ofc) and I am seeing a lot of mention of Thassa. What else would be worth keeping for trade etc?

EDIT - Answering my own question. Here's everything worth more than a couple of bucks.

Arbor Colossus
Anger of the Gods
Ashen Rider
Ashiok
Boon Satyr
Curse of the Swine
Elspeth
Evangel
Firedrinker Satyr
Fleecemane Lion
Heliod
Hero's Downfall
Master of Waves
Nykthos
Nylea
Polukranos
Purphorus
Soldier of the Pantheon
Spear of Heliod
Stormbreath Dragon
Temples
Thassa
Thoughtseize
Underworld Cerberus
Whip of Erebos
Xenagos

Just did a 6 pack sealed and got hammered. Mana screwed every game even when I went up to 14 lands (2 colour). Sigh. Pulled a Whip of Erebos I can use and 5 junks.

Edit again - Doh. I forgot 40 decks should be 17 land/23. It has definitely been a while.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Theros has a lot of decent money cards. All but a few of the Mythics are valuable, which is unheard of. It's actually one of the few sets that just buying boxes is not a bad idea because of the value, unless you have a very specific deck you know that you want to play.

Xalara

Golden Squire
When determining whether or not to money draft on MTGO use this as a quick reference for card value:http://www.supernovabots.com/

Generally anything worth 5+ tickets I take no matter what. Between 2-5 I have to think about it and otherwise I draft like normal. That said I play to maximize my expected value.

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
When determining whether or not to money draft on MTGO use this as a quick reference for card value:http://www.supernovabots.com/

Generally anything worth 5+ tickets I take no matter what. Between 2-5 I have to think about it and otherwise I draft like normal. That said I play to maximize my expected value.
I popped a foil Elspeth yesterday.. feels good, made up for my past 3-1 swiss drafts x 3.

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Two decks I've been home-brewing:

1. UG Ramp Hexproof:

// Lands
4 [THS] Island (3)
8 [THS] Forest (4)
4 [GTC] Breeding Pool
3 [THS] Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
4 [THS] Temple of Mystery

// Creatures
3 [THS] Prophet of Kruphix
3 [THS] Polukranos, World Eater
3 [THS] Benthic Giant
2 [THS] Arbor Colossus
3 [THS] Voyaging Satyr
4 [THS] Sylvan Caryatid
4 [M14] Elvish Mystic
2 [GTC] Master Biomancer

// Spells
3 [GTC] Simic Charm
3 [RTR] Jace, Architect of Thought
4 [RTR] Cyclonic Rift
2 [M14] Primeval Bounty
1 [THS] Thassa, God of the Sea

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [THS] Arbor Colossus
SB: 1 [GTC] Simic Charm
SB: 1 [M14] Primeval Bounty
SB: 1 [THS] Thassa, God of the Sea
SB: 3 [M14] Witchstalker
SB: 2 [THS] Bow of Nylea
SB: 3 [GTC] Rapid Hybridization
SB: 1 [GTC] Prime Speaker Zegana
SB: 2 [THS] Mistcutter Hydra

-It matches up against Mono Blue or Black really well. The deck can drop a turn 3 Giant or turn 4 overloaded Cyclonic Rift.. and hilarity ensues.

2. RGW Midrange

// Lands
2 [THS] Temple of Abandon
2 [THS] Temple of Triumph
4 [RTR] Temple Garden
4 [GTC] Stomping Ground
4 [RAV] Sacred Foundry
3 [THS] Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
4 [RTR] Forest (5)

// Creatures
4 [GTC] Burning-Tree Emissary
2 [GTC] Boros Reckoner
4 [THS] Sylvan Caryatid
4 [THS] Voyaging Satyr
1 [THS] Arbor Colossus
4 [M14] Elvish Mystic
2 [THS] Polukranos, World Eater

// Spells
2 [GTC] Boros Charm
3 [THS] Purphoros, God of the Forge
3 [THS] Elspeth, Sun's Champion
4 [THS] Xenagos, the Reveler
2 [GTC] Domri Rade
2 [M14] Devout Invocation

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [GTC] Boros Reckoner
SB: 2 [THS] Arbor Colossus
SB: 1 [THS] Polukranos, World Eater
SB: 2 [GTC] Boros Charm
SB: 2 [GTC] Domri Rade

-Turn 3 Elspeth, turn 4 Devout Invocation is really funny. Purphoros with Elspeth and Xenagos is also good times. You have mana coming out of your ears with a good draw.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Bump because I don't want this thread to die.

Also.....

I opened a pack (one single pack mind you) the other day and got a Rakdos's Return AND a foil Rakdos's Return. Is this possible? My one friend says you get either one rare and a foil or you get one mythic rare, period. He must be wrong, yes? Either he is wrong or Wizards made a mistake. I lean more to the side of him being wrong but I wasn't sure...