Must Have Software

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Is winrar still the way to go for unzipping? New comp a little skeptical to download anything else

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Are there any alternatives to Ghostery in Chrome? It's definitely been slowing down loadtime lately a nd it's pretty frustrating

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
How did you measure that it's slowing down load times? I thought the whole point was to block certain things from loading, thus indirectly improving load times.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
What is the current consensus for email programs? We have Outlook at work, but it is woefully underequipped to deal with Gmail, and it seems to need the Office repair utility run at least once a fucking month just to get it working again.

I've used Thunderbird in the past, but haven't used it in probably 5 years or more. It was good, but I don't remember it blowing me away.

Googled some lists, of course, and came up with one called Mailbird. Seems pretty decent, but you only get a short free trial and then they want you to pay if you want features like multiple email accounts (which is a must for me, and really the whole reason I'm looking for a better client). I'm not opposed to paying for something, and the current 50% offer of $22.50 for a lifetime account doesn't seem too bad, but just because it costs money doesn't mean it is the best.

Mail and MetroMail are actual Windows 10 apps, which I like, and free. They both work adequately, but don't really make me think "Fuck Yeah! This is the one!" either.

Any favorites out there?

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Who's your mail provider/software? If you have Gmail, I'd just recommend the web interface. If you use exchange, Outlook is king. Thunderbird isn't bad but I haven't heard shit about it in 5+ years. Honestly I do everything in outlook/mail.app for OS X or mobile clients (Inbox for GMail, Outlook and native Mail for outlook on my iPhone).

I'm pretty big on separating my work email from my personal email, so my viewpoint is probably different... I'd never put them in the same mail program (fuck, I hardly put them on the same device).

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
For personal use I use web interface / gmail that pulls another 3 x pop3 accounts and at work I use Thunderbird with Axigen mail server.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I have gmail and a legacy exchange account for work, hotmail (yes hotmail, fuck off!) and gmail for personal, and then a few randoms that aren't important but I like having them checked so I don't go weeks without seeing it.

I use the web interface for gmail for personal stuff, but right now we're using Outlook for work gmail/exchange, which is part of my issue. Outlook straight sucks for gmail.

I also mix personal and email on devices, because it doesn't really matter, our company is clueless and laid back about all that stuff, and I'm the closest thing we have to tech support in the whole building so I can do whatever I want. I mix them all on my phone with the gmail app, but for desktop, eh, I kind of like a nice client that integrates everything, including a calendar and such, instead of just a browser tab. Personal preference really.

Does Thunderbird do threaded messages like gmail? Outlook doesn't, which is the majority of the problem with Outlook. From reading about TB it seems it doesn't, but I guess I could install it and try it out too.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I have gmail and a legacy exchange account for work, hotmail (yes hotmail, fuck off!) and gmail for personal, and then a few randoms that aren't important but I like having them checked so I don't go weeks without seeing it.

I use the web interface for gmail for personal stuff, but right now we're using Outlook for work gmail/exchange, which is part of my issue. Outlook straight sucks for gmail.

I also mix personal and email on devices, because it doesn't really matter, our company is clueless and laid back about all that stuff, and I'm the closest thing we have to tech support in the whole building so I can do whatever I want. I mix them all on my phone with the gmail app, but for desktop, eh, I kind of like a nice client that integrates everything, including a calendar and such, instead of just a browser tab. Personal preference really.

Does Thunderbird do threaded messages like gmail? Outlook doesn't, which is the majority of the problem with Outlook. From reading about TB it seems it doesn't, but I guess I could install it and try it out too.
Outlook does email threads... it's a change in the view setting.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Oh shit son, you just blew my mind!

Now if I could only make it so Outlook wasn't a giant piece of buggy shit on half the computers in the office. I love Excel and Word, and used to love Outlook, but Outlook has had more problems than it is worth, particularly in the last six months.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
To follow up a little on Mailbird, they have an offer where if you invite 5 friends you get the lifetime Pro version for free. I can say from firsthand knowledge that it works to send it to yourself on another computer via different emails, installing and uninstalling each time. I control the "IT" at work so I used 3 work computers, and could have done all 5, but used TeamViewer to my computer at home for 2 of them just to try it on purpose.

Whether or not it is worth the effort is up to you, but at least now I can try it out without having to sign up and getting billed because I forgot to cancel before the free month was up.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I've noticed adblock is blocking less and less on some websites. Guess they figured out ways around it. Is there an alternative that works better or something else I can do? Thankfully it still blocks Youtube ads, but im seeing ads and even popups now on some sites.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I've noticed adblock is blocking less and less on some websites. Guess they figured out ways around it. Is there an alternative that works better or something else I can do? Thankfully it still blocks Youtube ads, but im seeing ads and even popups now on some sites.
maybe your computer has aids.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Ublock origin is the current hotness. Adblock sold out.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Anyone ever use drop box?

Just downloaded the gameboy emulator and was playing some pokemon red. Most likely going to need a new phone and want to keep my progress.
I bought the $4 version of emulator so I can load games I just want to be sure I'm doing it right before I get new phone and find out I fucked up

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anyone ever use drop box?

Just downloaded the gameboy emulator and was playing some pokemon red. Most likely going to need a new phone and want to keep my progress.
I bought the $4 version of emulator so I can load games I just want to be sure I'm doing it right before I get new phone and find out I fucked up
Talking about loading your game saves and emulator to dropbox cloud storage, and then downloading it again back on your phone afterwards?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'd imagine it'd work the same for photos as it does data. Everything I hear Dropbox is very very good when it comes to mobile integration. It was one of the first, if not the first to auto-upload photos taken. But that's moot point for you.

Able to try it out first? Load up a game save, name it something different, if that's possible, then load it back on your phone and try and load it in the emulator?