Must Have Software

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
I have used DDresecue before, linux based and has worked pretty good. Just burn to disc and reboot the puter. He has some options to how you want to copy the drive to another drive. It has worked for me as long as it can still see the drive. Never tried the mac/windows versions.
GNU ddrescue Manual

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Little Snitch for (MAC). Firewall software. Been using it for years I forgot about it earlier. On avg you needed it or something like it to keep "Stuff" from talking back to home. Still good, nice to see whats trying to creep in.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Probably been talked about somewhere in here, but as a chrome lover I can't help but think I've just been physically abused. To remove the backspace -> back functionality and not allow a toggle is mind boggling. I have to download a god damn extension to get the functionality back. My god. Here it is:

Backspace to go Back

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I always hated backspace>back. I have never used it intentionally, but I accidentally used it often enough that I was glad to see it go. Unfortunately most of those accidental uses of it happen at work in IE.

• 1Like

kudos

<Banned>
There are 2 reasons ABP became a piece of shit.

1. It became ridiculously memory intensive over time. Your browser would start to crawl or hiccup.

2. They started selling whitelist ability to ad companies.

kudos

<Banned>
Libreoffice is the only choice.

Acronis. Does it have a boot disk option? To restore from NAS in case of complete failure?

Can you browse saved snapshots and export a specific file?

Does it autopurge old snapshots when the disk target fills up?

I've been using time machine for Windows but it doesn't do the last thing.
Acronis allows you to restore from a NAS. It creates a bootable USB (linux based) that you point towards your NAS backed up .tib (acronis format) file.

There are no snapshots in Acronis as it's more of a bare metal form of imaging.

It won't delete old images as it doesn't automatically take backups. It's not like Time Machine or anything.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
There are 2 reasons ABP became a piece of shit.

1. It became ridiculously memory intensive over time. Your browser would start to crawl or hiccup.

2. They started selling whitelist ability to ad companies.
What should I use instead?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ABP is now selling "acceptable" ads, fuck that, again we've listed ublockorgin as an alternative, thread should be changed to ONLY have it as an option, here are chrome and firefox links
uBlock Origin [chrome]
uBlock Origin [firefox]

pretty sure you can add w/o restart.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
When setting up computers for people, I've been installing uBlock if they want an ad blocker, but if they already had ABP I left it alone. Once I saw that I knew I'd be telling anyone I see using ABP to make the switch.

Whitelisting benign ads I can understand, as shit needs to get paid for somehow. Selling ads though? Nope.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Youtube are now scrambling their ad ids so they're pass through uBlock Origin for now, don't ask me if i tried ABP tho, ppl will probably come up with rules to block em in a few days.

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If anyone uses Ghostery - its now on Microsoft Edge browser. I consider Ghostery must-have software since the web sucks balls without it, or something equivalent.

Just to change things up I'm going Edge only for a few months since it finally has ad blocking extensions.

Ghostery Download Browser Extension | GHOSTERY

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Been using Edge for a while on Windows 10. Damn it's pretty usable now. Don't miss Chrome or Firefox at all ...

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
ABP is now selling "acceptable" ads, fuck that, again we've listed ublockorgin as an alternative, thread should be changed to ONLY have it as an option, here are chrome and firefox links
uBlock Origin [chrome]
uBlock Origin [firefox]

pretty sure you can add w/o restart.
Always amazed at what has the most ads, and didn't even know it. Surprisingly? it's any Google page, but Twitch is for sure a close 2nd. Other day I think I saw uBlock had stopped 247 things on a YouTube page? that's just fucking disgraceful.