Must Have Software

Jovec

?
Just curious, what does ublock Origin offer over ABP?

I thought ABP is using a paid whitelist of "unintrusive" ads by default.

Ghostery has some privacy issues from what I recall to (sells your anonymized data). I use Disconnect but I'm not sure they are any better.

Privacy Badger should probably be on the list for general purpose browser plug-ins. Also HTTPS Everywhere.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Just curious, what does ublock Origin offer over ABP?
You know damned if i know, i just know that at some point a few months ago ABP wasn't blocking shit and then going to ublock Origin made the world correct again.

It's simple enough to add to chrome w/o restart, here's a link
uBlock Origin
and firefox
uBlock Origin

Also the combo of uBlock Origin and
Amazon.com: Webroot AntiVirus 2016 | 3 Devices | 1 Year | PC [Download]: Software
is not only endorsed by myself, but by Royal, your Connoisseur of finding.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Sonarr under Newsgroups.
Bit Che maybe under new section "Torrent Index"?
OnyX for Mac Cleaner, registry, permissions, etc.
FileBot for Mac and I think Windows. Great TV/Movie lookup/renamer
NameMangler for file bulk file renaming - Mac
Gemini for dup finding - Mac

spronk

FPS noob
i'm a fan of notepad++
Notepad++ Home

WinAuth lets you have one place for all your 2 factor code stuff, like battle.net, steam, uPlay, Origin, gmail, etc. Backup the winauth files to dropbox in case I ever lose my PC. Still have the authenticator apps on my phone, but this way I can just copy/paste on my PC instead of having to read out codes from a phone like a savage
Windows Authenticator for Google, Blizzard, Guild Wars, Rift

KeePass 2.x keeps all my passwords in a single program, I use a diff randomized 80-128 bit password for every website. backup plugin keeps 20 last copies of my keepass database in a dropbox folder
KeePass Password Safe

as far as chrome extensions, in addition to ublock origin and ghostery I also run
Reddit Enhancement Suite - makes reddit usable
Enhanced Steam - tons of extra features to Welcome to Steam
Steam inventory helper - similar to above but for selling idle cards
X-notifier Neo - multiple gmail account checker/access with 1 click
Tampermonkey - lots of little webscripts around that run inside TM
Chrome Remote Desktop - i remote control my parents and sisters PC for tech support when needed

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I mentioned webroot b4, imo if you want the best, don't give a shit online protection

1. browser adblock (ublock origin/abp)
2. free antivirus, microsoft essentials/avira/avast
3. Amazon.com: Webroot AntiVirus 2016 | 3 Devices | 1 Year | PC [Download]: Software

This is like triple bagging (that's probably what you're using this extreme protection for anyway), but you're not even using resources. browser adblock takes up zero resources, and the webroot takes up 1% cpu power

spronk

FPS noob
I recently got into OneTab for chrome

I create a new window, drag all the chrome tabs that I want to read "later" into it, and click on onetab button. Bam, turns into a list of basically stuff to read when I have some free time, without actually taking up valuable tab space

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Oh that Bit Che software is windows only, I had it working with wineskin till the last OSx software update. Been too lazy to revert the root changes they did to get wineskin working again.

There is the savefrom.net extension for chrome to save youtube videos. You can get to it via added SS to the link from youtube. example: www.ssyoutube.com/fdsjfkjknoiuoexamplecrapgjfklgjk

Been using it for a long time now, so unknown if it tracks, etc. The benefit of getting what i want has outweighed my concern.
Side note, it doesnt pull subtitles, I was getting some foreign Samurai, anime, etc and on avg those arent embedded and you may have to get the subtitles elsewhere. Can be a pita. Its great if you want to pull training videos like java or other things to storage and watch later.
Free Online YouTube Downloader: Download YouTube Videos, Facebook and many others!

jeydax

Death and Taxes
For Windows users I think it is an absolute crime to not include "Everything" in the General Utilities list.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Not a must have, as all the software I use is already on the list, but if you use last.fm a lot, there's a chrome extention called scroblr that will scrobble from basically every music-focused site and post it on your last.fm page as if you were using itunes, etc

scroblr

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Libreoffice is the only choice.

Acronis. Does it have a boot disk option? To restore from NAS in case of complete failure?

Can you browse saved snapshots and export a specific file?

Does it autopurge old snapshots when the disk target fills up?

I've been using time machine for Windows but it doesn't do the last thing.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Big fan of LastPass for password management/generation. Cross platform support including mobile.