New cold war?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Pathetic. As was stated before, they couldn't change their spending because it was already maxed. Your ability to grasp basic logic is zero.

It's no wonder you are always at a loss.

why would US almost double its spending if USSR's spending was already maxed?

haha. you guys cant even keep your own shitty argument straight.

christ, read something. anything. Reagan and the Russians - 94.02

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lol, you never played no limit poker. Which is what the cold war was all about. The Soviets ran out of chips and lost.

Last edited:

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Friend of mine flew into Moscow soon as the wall fell with the government. State department told them to always carry enough cash for a meal and a cab ride on them at all times. It woundn't fit into 2 backpacks and a couple of guys had to carry giant bags of cash for everyone in the group. Sounds healthy. Of course it's not like you would mind if someone stole your $20 that weighed 40 pounds. The biggest admonishment they got was to never, ever, show US dollars in public at that time. Good way to wind up dead for it lol. They were frisked (he was in the navy) and had to leave it all on the gulfstream at the airport.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Friend of mine flew into Moscow soon as the wall fell with the government. State department told them to always carry enough cash for a meal and a cab ride on them at all times. It woundn't fit into 2 backpacks and a couple of guys had to carry giant bags of cash for everyone in the group. Sounds healthy. Of course it's not like you would mind if someone stole your $20 that weighed 40 pounds. The biggest admonishment they got was to never, ever, show US dollars in public at that time. Good way to wind up dead for it lol. They were frisked (he was in the navy) and had to leave it all on the gulfstream at the airport.

cool story bro. thats what usually happens with internal economic reforms that do not successfully work out

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Anyone who has played risk knows Islam is going to weaken the eu enough so that communism can roll through in a 10-20 years and continue until the us is isolated under supreme commander trump, a bastion of freedom and collector of exiled eu jew smarts which holds out with superior efficiency and technology until communisms inevitable collapse and the open market picks up the pieces in 2063

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This Reagan circle jerking is awful. Do you motherfuckers seriously still buy into that horse-shit GOP propaganda? The soviet archives are open. We have feedback from leaders at the time including Gorby. We know the USSR had decided that they didn't need to keep pace with the USA. We know they were focused internally on reform changes to the exclusion of a militaristic foreign policy, and in clear reaction to the mistake of their Afghanistan invasion. There simply is not evidence that Reagan's arms buildup resulted in a reactionary buildup from the soviets, nor have I seen evidence that Reagan's spending caused the USSR to make less cuts than they would have. What we do have is evidence that the USSR did not give a fuck about how much the USA spent on weapons.

Reagan was an avid global interventionist and one turned into a pretty huge scandal in fact. He was not a moron either and could perfectly well see the USSR's situation deteriorating. He knew their power and influence was crumbling. His response was to escalate CIA activity and military spending in anticipation of a world where the USA was the sole and undisputed superpower. Carter, even though a shitty president, would have had the same effect on the USSR's collapse: none.

This idea that Reagan's efforts won the cold war is GOP fan-fic masturbation. What Reagan did was succeed in Goldwater's courting of conservative religious types while keeping the established business interest GOP base, and the result was this absurd propaganda story that still persists saying that it was heavy arms spending (the GOP lobby financial base) that caused the defeat and collapse of the Atheist USSR (enemy of the GOP religious/moral majority voting base). It's propaganda. If you believe that Reagan's deficit-funded arms buildup caused the collapse you are still buying into a now decades-old fabrication that is about the equal of today's fabricated propaganda that Islam and Feminism go together. It's just an attempt to win over two sides by creating a sense of common cause rather than merely common interest.

It's bullshit.

• 2Like

Apollo64

N00b
The Soviet military budget was a huge percentage of their GDP back then, they just couldn't go on and on competing in the arms race without turning Soviet Union into a starved North Korea.

• 1Like

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The Soviet military budget was a huge percentage of their GDP back then, they just couldn't go on and on competing in the arms race without turning Soviet Union into a starved North Korea.

Gorbachev did not increase military spending, and announced plans to move funding from defense to consumer goods.

The facts are clear: the USSR did not increase spending in reaction to the USA. It did not try to "keep up" with our military. That is a fabricated myth.

• 1Like

Apollo64

N00b
Gorbachev did not increase military spending, and announced plans to move funding from defense to consumer goods.

The facts are clear: the USSR did not increase spending in reaction to the USA. It did not try to "keep up" with our military. That is a fabricated myth.

I am not politicizing this, whether there was a Republican or Democrat administration in the US wouldn't have made much of a difference in the end. The Soviets had a huge military expenditure in relation to their GDP even before Reagan for many years and it was unsustainable for the long term. Gorbachev just happened to be the one who gave up.

• 1Like

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And he gave up because Reagan upped the ante. We had all the aces (plus 2 in the sleeve). The Soviets folded like a cheap suit.

• 1Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I can see where Yerm is right and Grim is right.

The ideas don't appear to be mutually exclusive to me.

• 1Like

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
It was an arms race. We had a better economy and could spend more. They overdrew their account and finally quit. The two points are the same. Who takes credit is just politics.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Welp. Guess we can send this to the Shaw to die a slow death now

• 2Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff
how many tears are shed by the sjw-duo of trex and tyen today I wonder...

• 1Like

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Putin is going to invite trump over for bocce and nuke us when he goes to the bathroom for twosies

• 1Like

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
how many tears are shed by the sjw-duo of trex and tyen today I wonder...

SJW is an annoying acronym.

Do you know what I'm going to do, to punish you fgts for using that ridiculously lame acronym?

I'm going to have trex bombard you nerds with some fresh phrases that'll surely erupt emotions.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
SJW is an annoying acronym.

Do you know what I'm going to do, to punish you fgts for using that ridiculously lame acronym?

I'm going to have trex bombard you nerds with some fresh phrases that'll surely erupt emotions.

Spoken like a true sjw.

• 2Like
Status
Not open for further replies.