New movies that dont deserve their own thread.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
The first nightmare on elm Street when I saw it as a kid was pretty scary, specifically the scene where Freddy's walking down the alley and he's got his arms stretched out. I guess the second one was still trying to do stuff in the same vein, but then when it switched to three, it started embracing the goofiness of Freddy with the one liners and stuff.

Hell, Jaws was scary when I saw it at maybe age 5. I think a lot of those older films just have a special place because of seeing them when you were young.

The first Hellraiser was another pretty scary movie, it's obviously not now though, but back in the day, that was some pretty cutting edge shit, especially if you stayed up till midnight to watch it. Maybe part of the fear was also not getting caught watching something you knew you weren't supposed to be.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The first nightmare on elm Street when I saw it as a kid was pretty scary, specifically the scene where Freddy's walking down the alley and he's got his arms stretched out. I guess the second one was still trying to do stuff in the same vein, but then when it switched to three, it started embracing the goofiness of Freddy with the one liners and stuff.

Hell, Jaws was scary when I saw it at maybe age 5. I think a lot of those older films just have a special place because of seeing them when you were young.

The first Hellraiser was another pretty scary movie, it's obviously not now though, but back in the day, that was some pretty cutting edge shit, especially if you stayed up till midnight to watch it. Maybe part of the fear was also not getting caught watching something you knew you weren't supposed to be.
i guess, mostly all the scary movies i saw were when i was 13 and younger. Poltergeist was the last movie that actually scared me bad. though i still get grossed out later with some gore scenes. i always talk about Martyrs as being my limit to tolerating those kinds of movies, i think it killed the horror genre for me too, though i did like Let The Right One In. not much since.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
i guess, mostly all the scary movies i saw were when i was 13 and younger. Poltergeist was the last movie that actually scared me bad. though i still get grossed out later with some gore scenes. i always talk about Martyrs as being my limit to tolerating those kinds of movies, i think it killed the horror genre for me too, though i did like Let The Right One In. not much since.
Yeah Martyrs, while being an interesting movie, isn't my cup of tea. I find that the extreme gorgeous doesn't make for a great movie, read it necessarily reminded when I was younger.

The first two poltergeists were pretty scary as a kid, the second one especially, probably because of all the messed up monsters that they had.

The original Night of the living Dead was scary when you were young and I think it had just something to do with the way it was shot and the fact it was in black and white, and probably the sound editing. I just remember being on edge the entire movie.

The Tom Savini remake is pretty good, but not scary whatsoever. I think I probably saw both around the same time when I was young.

On how did I forget about The Thing, that movie was pretty terrifying. I remember watching it with a couple of my cousins and a few of my uncles during a family reunion. I have no idea how old I was, but the first time you watch it that's a pretty great experience.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah Martyrs, while being an interesting movie, isn't my cup of tea. I find that the extreme gorgeous doesn't make for a great movie, read it necessarily reminded when I was younger.

The first two poltergeists were pretty scary as a kid, the second one especially, probably because of all the messed up monsters that they had.

The original Night of the living Dead was scary when you were young and I think it had just something to do with the way it was shot and the fact it was in black and white, and probably the sound editing. I just remember being on edge the entire movie.

The Tom Savini remake is pretty good, but not scary whatsoever. I think I probably saw both around the same time when I was young.

On how did I forget about The Thing, that movie was pretty terrifying. I remember watching it with a couple of my cousins and a few of my uncles during a family reunion. I have no idea how old I was, but the first time you watch it that's a pretty great experience.
i remember seeing The Thing with my dad at the theater. when the head on the floor sprouts spider legs and eyes and starts chugging along the floor. the guy stares at it and says "you gotta be fucking kidding me". my dad busted out laughing and says, "thats what i was thinking".
iu

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
On my first time watching, I actually said
" You gotta be fucking kidding "

Just before the guy on screen did.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider

Wasn't ever really scared by those as a kid, but fucking Congo with the murder gorilla's & weird jungle tribe creeped me out for a long time after that.

Event horizon was the only other one that comes to mind, part of it being the scenery/filming and the other being a 'what if' where traveling in space via black hole generator or whatever it was called could actually happen.

• 1Like

Juvarisx

Florida
I think you're conflating slasher movies with horror movies. I know slashers or within the genre, and maybe some of the original ones were scary when you were younger, but the really good horror nowadays tends to be the slow burn, atmospheric dread, not knowing exactly what's going to happen type stuff.

It's still out there, and typically done by a little indie films. It's not like I get scared watching most of it, but some of the things can be unnerving, and especially when you're not relying upon jump scares, but that slow anticipation that something is going to happen, you're just don't know what, that in and of itself is scary.

It's still out there, it's just not the same type of horror that we got used to growing up to as kids. Hell when you're a kid a lot of other things are scary.

I remember the first time I watched Alien, I was spending the night at a friend's house, and his dad took him, me, and his little brother to Blockbuster. We got to rent one movie and one video game. I think we ended up getting Jackal for the NES because you could play co-op, and we picked Alien for our movie. His dad didn't care, but that was the glory of the '80s.

We stayed up that night and their giant basement den with the lights off watching it, and I was probably the scariest movie I had ever seen at the time. Yeah there are a couple of jump scares, but they're well done, and not necessarily overused.

Is the film scary to me now, no, but it's still unsettling in certain scenes, appreciate the tone it tries to set in order to scare the audience.

Anyways I don't know if that makes a lot of sense, this is honestly a conversation I was having with a buddy not too long ago just talking about movies in general, and what's good out there. I just think there's some good indie horror that seems to be a hell of a lot better than any giant mainstream production, but I'm probably just biased, because I'd rather watch some film made for $2 million in Ireland vs a superhero movie.

A lot of it was period specific as well. Old Timey horror movies were some dude in a rubber suit that was super obvious and they were not "scary" but were aimed at teens to half pay attention to while making out at the drive in. The true masters of 70's and 80's horror were not the writers or the directors it was the special effectgs people. Rob Bottin, Chris Walas, Dick Smith, Tom Savini, Sam Winston and Rick Baker created shit NOONE had seen before, made it as close to real looking as they could make it and making it disturbing as possible seemed to be a game of one upping each other. People are not impressed with what we remember made movies scary anymore, so the focus has turned to indie studios fleshing out great ideas and make the atmosphere "scary". Like Midsommar or Lighthouse or technically horrors and good ones at that but they are not classically scary like we remember as kids. Hereditary is probably one that would scary the living fuck out of a kid if they were still awake through all the parts of existential dread and got to the disturbing as fuck parts.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
A lot of it was period specific as well. Old Timey horror movies were some dude in a rubber suit that was super obvious and they were not "scary" but were aimed at teens to half pay attention to while making out at the drive in. The true masters of 70's and 80's horror were not the writers or the directors it was the special effectgs people. Rob Bottin, Chris Walas, Dick Smith, Tom Savini, Sam Winston and Rick Baker created shit NOONE had seen before, made it as close to real looking as they could make it and making it disturbing as possible seemed to be a game of one upping each other. People are not impressed with what we remember made movies scary anymore, so the focus has turned to indie studios fleshing out great ideas and make the atmosphere "scary". Like Midsommar or Lighthouse or technically horrors and good ones at that but they are not classically scary like we remember as kids. Hereditary is probably one that would scary the living fuck out of a kid if they were still awake through all the parts of existential dread and got to the disturbing as fuck parts.

Yeah, Heredity is a perfect example of a modern-day horror film that creeped me out when I saw it in the theater. There's some truly frightening tension in that film. I think a lot of it also has to do that it had no score most of the film. To me when movies are just dead silent, and you're just lost in the sounds of whatever the character is doing or hearing themselves, that stuff gets pretty creepy.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah, Heredity is a perfect example of a modern-day horror film that creeped me out when I saw it in the theater. There's some truly frightening tension in that film. I think a lot of it also has to do that it had no score most of the film. To me when movies are just dead silent, and you're just lost in the sounds of whatever the character is doing or hearing themselves, that stuff gets pretty creepy.
i know we talked about the slasher films as not being a traditional horror film type, but in Halloween, this was the first movie where we find out that the killer isnt actually alive, but a supernatural creature. so this scene where Laurie stabs Michael, he collapses and she thinks she killed him and for whatever reason turns her back on him while he silently gets up and is now off camera. that was super fucking terrifying when i saw the movie as a kid.

that whole sequence is still insanely scary.

spronk

FPS noob
probably does deserve its own thread but im too lazy, watched Mars Express last weekend and really enjoyed it. Its been out on torrents for a few weeks now in USA, released last night on VOD and blurays are out now too if you aren't a 🏴‍☠️

its an animated french movie about a detective on Mars investigating a missing girl and a possible robot conspiracy. Has very strong Blade Runner and Ghost in the Shell vibe. Bombed pretty hard so RIP but I thought it was great and no usual modern hollywood bullshit

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
i count the slasher films as horror because a Jason or especially a Freddy are not humans anymore but supernatural monsters/entities. probably the scariest movie i have ever seen was the original The Blob films. The Blob could not be stopped, it could be only slowed down. when i was a kid, that scene where the guy is getting his hair cut and the blob comes right out of the motherfucking drain and cover his head has stayed with me my whole life.
The black and white original The Blob scared the shit out of me as a kid. I legit worried that it was under my bed, or coming out of the sink drain, etc. And since I had no way to freeze it myself, it was an unstoppable juggernaut if it did show up. That freaked me out.

The only movie that I remember creeping me out as an adult is Exorcist III. That scene in the hospital with all the tension building that culminates in the nurse getting her head cut off with giant scissors made every single person in the theater jump. It is also the one movie I think of when I think how much an actor can accomplish just by talking. That dude in the straitjacket in the cell had nothing but his face and voice to act with, and it was creepy as fuck the entire time. I had to drive home alone after that movie, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I checked the back seat before getting in.

This clip doesn't do it justice because there is like 5 minutes prior to it where the nurse hears noises and looks around, tension building the whole time, and finds out it is just ice melting in a glass, so your anxiety is already ratcheted up to 10 by this point but maybe it is over and nothing will happen and then oh shit!

• 2Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
As a kid, I’d have to admit the only one that actually got me was the Freddy scene with the arms extending. I also think the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre got me. Also, did nobody else find Jurassic Park just a smidge “scary” or a horror film of its own type. Man, watching that when it first came out as one of those nerdy kids that loved dinosaurs…that was awesome despite its scientific inaccuracies.

As a teenager and in my 20’s, I remember Event Horizon scaring me and the first time I watched the uncut or director’s cut of the Exorcist. When she comes down the stairs backwards and vomits, it used to make my neck hair stand up.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Even when I was a kid, horror/"scary" movies were more a vibe thing for me. If I watch something like that on Sunday night I'm in a bad mood going to bed and then irritated the next morning. I don't care for a lot of those movies for that reason. Stuff like Aliens or whatever is fine, but regular slasher flicks are just dumb to me.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
As a kid, I’d have to admit the only one that actually got me was the Freddy scene with the arms extending. I also think the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre got me. Also, did nobody else find Jurassic Park just a smidge “scary” or a horror film of its own type. Man, watching that when it first came out as one of those nerdy kids that loved dinosaurs…that was awesome despite its scientific inaccuracies.

As a teenager and in my 20’s, I remember Event Horizon scaring me and the first time I watched the uncut or director’s cut of the Exorcist. When she comes down the stairs backwards and vomits, it used to make my neck hair stand up.
my sister watched Nightmare on Elm Street with me and she got freaked the fuck out with the scene of Nancy falling asleep in the tub and being pulled down to where she almost drowns. for me, yeah the scene with the arms was trippy, but i wasnt scared, i could see the arm extensions and the illusion was ruined for me.
iu

what got me was Tina getting sliced up on her chest and then flung around spraying blood everywhere. much worse than Glenn's death.

• 2Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
my sister watched Nightmare on Elm Street with me and she got freaked the fuck out with the scene of Nancy falling asleep in the tub and being pulled down to where she almost drowns. for me, yeah the scene with the arms was trippy, but i wasnt scared, i could see the arm extensions and the illusion was ruined for me.
iu

what got me was Tina getting sliced up on her chest and then flung around spraying blood everywhere. much worse than Glenn's death.

Yeah that's the seen I mentioned the other day. I remember seeing it for the first time and it just looks so surreal, it's pretty damn creepy as a kid. I still think the first one's the only scary one.

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah that's the seen I mentioned the other day. I remember seeing it for the first time and it just looks so surreal, it's pretty damn creepy as a kid. I still think the first one's the only scary one.
the DnD nerd death in Dream Warriors was kinda fucked up, Freddy was leading him around by his wrist veins like a puppet. the other deaths were nasty too, just not very scary. part two is just straight up gay as hell.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
the DnD nerd death in Dream Warriors was kinda fucked up, Freddy was leading him around by his wrist veins like a puppet. the other deaths were nasty too, just not very scary. part two is just straight up gay as hell.
Dude the d&d nerd was The wizard master and Freddy's magical wheelchair killed him. It's another guy who got led like a puppet to fall off the building. God damn you, thought you knew your shit my man.

For shame...

Part two is pretty gay though. Part 3 is a really good movie and that's the first time they really started to ham it up and get creative with Freddy and The kills.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Dude the d&d nerd was The wizard master and Freddy's magical wheelchair killed him. It's another guy who got led like a puppet to fall off the building. God damn you, thought you knew your shit my man.

For shame...

Part two is pretty gay though. Part 3 is a really good movie and that's the first time they really started to ham it up and get creative with Freddy and The kills.
You son of a bitch, I'll have you know the Wizard master blasted that wheelchair to smithereens and Freddy just straight up choked a bitch. But yes I got dnd nerd mixed up with...... Uh Joey? No, the big titty nurse tongue ties him. I don't remember the puppet guy's name, but I think he was a sleepwalker.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
You son of a bitch, I'll have you know the Wizard master blasted that wheelchair to smithereens and Freddy just straight up choked a bitch. But yes I got dnd nerd mixed up with...... Uh Joey? No, the big titty nurse tongue ties him. I don't remember the puppet guy's name, but I think he was a sleepwalker.
Haha, you're right, he did blast the wheelchair didn't he, and it was pretty cheesy that Freddy just runs up and stabs him. Sorry it's been a long time since I saw it. There's also that kid who was up horn dog with the nurse or whatever whatever. I don't remember the kids name that was the puppet. Just wanted to throw away just one of the throw away characters. I think they saved Joey if I'm not mistaken, for whatever his name is. Wasn't his dream power being able to scream or something.

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Haha, you're right, he did blast the wheelchair didn't he, and it was pretty cheesy that Freddy just runs up and stabs him. Sorry it's been a long time since I saw it. There's also that kid who was up horn dog with the nurse or whatever whatever. I don't remember the kids name that was the puppet. Just wanted to throw away just one of the throw away characters. I think they saved Joey if I'm not mistaken, for whatever his name is. Wasn't his dream power being able to scream or something.
Yes. He shatters the mirrors and hurts Freddy. I think Kincaid saves him. Him and morpheus the only black people in that movie. Young me thought they had to be related.

• 2Like