New movies that dont deserve their own thread.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Yes. He shatters the mirrors and hurts Freddy. I think Kincaid saves him. Him and morpheus the only black people in that movie. Young me thought they had to be related.
Had to go back and rewatch that one. Probably still pretty fun movie. I vaguely remember being in middle school or something spending the night at a buddy's house and there was some sort of nightmare on elm Street Marathon around Halloween, and his parents ordered pizza and him his little brother and myself stayed up watching all of them maybe up to four or five, I don't remember.

It was back when Little Caesars had the Bigfoot Pizza, which for a cheap pizza, it was actually pretty damn good, or at least younger me thought so, but that's also when fast food and pizza delivery used to be better quality. Think it was 3'x2' big.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Had to go back and rewatch that one. Probably still pretty fun movie. I vaguely remember being in middle school or something spending the night at a buddy's house and there was some sort of nightmare on elm Street Marathon around Halloween, and his parents ordered pizza and him his little brother and myself stayed up watching all of them maybe up to four or five, I don't remember.

It was back when Little Caesars had the Bigfoot Pizza,weekend you got 5 for a dollar and I would which for a cheap pizza, it was actually pretty damn good, or at least younger me thought so, but that's also when fast food and pizza delivery used to be better quality. Think it was 3'x2' big.
My video store had dollar rental deals during the week, but on weekends it was 5 for a dollar as long as it wasn't new release. I had sleepovers at my house. My friends and my sister's friends. So we split the movies up. I always got horror movies and my sis got the sixteen candles and breakfast clubs girlie movies. Watching a bunch of girls lose their shit over Leatherface and Freddie was priceless.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Oh shit. I forgot about Alien. That scared the shit out of 6-7 year old me that was really discovering SciFi and had already become a Star Wars kid. What would this hurt? 2 hours later I wanted to call CPS on my mom for letting me watch that in the dark.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I feel like horror movies in general don't really serve a purpose anymore. They used to be able to scare people or at least gross you out in comically horrific fashion. Such as the original Evil Dead first two films or the old Freddy, Michael and Jason films. You went to the movies, saw the stupid teenagers do stupid things and get fileted by the scary guy with the sharp weapons. Or the ghosts and monsters would creep around waiting til you were asleep and then start making noises under your bed. Fun times

These new movies try to recreate those old films, but they use digital blood and cgi monsters now with very bland plots. Do these new monsters even have a backstory anybody is interested in? I would also like to point out the lack of mystery anymore in movie trailers. They show the whole film in under 2 minutes. Show the monster, and a bunch of boo scares and then expect you to pay a stupid ticket price to be underwhelmed.

I used to love horror movies, but it's been downhill for the last 20 years.
Maybe late to this one as there's a couple pages since this post, but horror movies are like the one, single profitable movie genre without a doubt. They absolutely crush it.

• 2Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Oh shit. I forgot about Alien. That scared the shit out of 6-7 year old me that was really discovering SciFi and had already become a Star Wars kid. What would this hurt? 2 hours later I wanted to call CPS on my mom for letting me watch that in the dark.
Haha, go back a couple of pages and get to the root of this whole conversation or derail. Chukzombi Chukzombi and I pretty much talked about all of the movies you're mentioning.

With that being said, Alien is still probably the most scary movie experience I ever had as a kid.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
My video store had dollar rental deals during the week, but on weekends it was 5 for a dollar as long as it wasn't new release. I had sleepovers at my house. My friends and my sister's friends. So we split the movies up. I always got horror movies and my sis got the sixteen candles and breakfast clubs girlie movies. Watching a bunch of girls lose their shit over Leatherface and Freddie was priceless.
The video store we had by my dad's used to be if you got a new release film, you could pick out a free old inventory movie. Latest and greatest video. They had two locations here in Houston and it was family owned. The dad who owned it and all of his family worked there was a super nice guy, and I always remember my dad BSN with him, and he was always good about holding on to a copy of a film or something that we wanted to see.

So if we were getting a movie to watch on a Friday or Saturday night, my parents would typically pick it out and I could just wander around and grab something off the shelf that looked entertaining. I want to say a new release was maybe three bucks back then.

Summertime, we were going there every other day maybe because after all you've got to return whatever movie you rented, so I constantly had a feed of films I had never seen, and it was always scifi or horror, basically whatever had cool box art, and sounded like it was interesting.

Goofy shit like Waxwork with Billy Peltzer from Gremlins. That movie blew my mind when I was a kid. The Phantasm series, all the Hellraiser movies, etc.

Good times.

It's funny because that was such a lucrative business back in the '80s and 90s. I did a couple of construction projects for a guy who was retired and he made his money on having some video stores down closer towards the border, and sold the businesses off, and started a personal Mill shop to just make some extra money, but it allowed him to basically buy 20 acres or so and his retirement home along with a few commercial properties that he just leases out. It's a shame that younger people or even myself don't have that opportunity because we were kids with that type of business. I'd have been more than happy owning a few video rental stores.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Maybe late to this one as there's a couple pages since this post, but horror movies are like the one, single profitable movie genre without a doubt. They absolutely crush it.
box office success doesnt always mean quality, that paranormal activity was absolute shit, but it made a shitload of cash. same with Blair Witch, still the worst horror film i paid to see.
Haha, go back a couple of pages and get to the root of this whole conversation or derail. Chukzombi Chukzombi and I pretty much talked about all of the movies you're mentioning.

With that being said, Alien is still probably the most scary movie experience I ever had as a kid.
for whatever reason, i wasnt allowed to see Alien because i was too young, but i saw Halloween when i was 9 years old and got the shit scared out of me.

• 2Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
box office success doesnt always mean quality, that paranormal activity was absolute shit, but it made a shitload of cash. same with Blair Witch, still the worst horror film i paid to see.

for whatever reason, i wasnt allowed to see Alien because i was too young, but i saw Halloween when i was 9 years old and got the shit scared out of me.
I want to say I was in third grade when I saw Alien. So how old are you at that time, seven or eight?

• 2Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I know that's what the red letter media guys keep talking about specifically with the Blumhouse business model. I guess it's also easy to have just a house with three or four actors and come up with some sort of story concept, shoot it over the span of a couple of weeks for a maybe a million, and based upon the quality of story and the acting, you can probably turn out and extremely profitable film, even if it's direct to streaming.

It cost you one million but it made 20 million, that's pretty damn great returns. I always told myself if I won the Powerball, one thing I would be interested in is producing and funding indie horror projects. Talking to up and coming filmmakers that I've seen there stuff and enjoyed it, and offering financing. I know the genre, just takes money though. Would be a fun project related occupation if you didn't have to worry about finances, apart from just fishing of course.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I want to say I was in third grade when I saw Alien. So how old are you at that time, seven or eight?
i am trying to remember when it came to HBO. i saw Halloween in 1980 on HBO when i was 8 or 9 and i think Alien premiered in 1981? either way, i didnt see it until i was older, like 13 or 14.

• 2Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
i am trying to remember when it came to HBO. i saw Halloween in 1980 on HBO when i was 8 or 9 and i think Alien premiered in 1981? either way, i didnt see it until i was older, like 13 or 14.
Alien I believe was 78 or 79. I guess if it popped up on HBO it would be what maybe a year year and a half later, because I think there was quite a bit more lag back then.

• 2Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
oh yes, but i think it premiered on HBO in late 80 or 81. Star Wars took a fucking long time to make it to HBO too. 79 or 80.
I think a lot of that lag had to do with movies still having the ability to reshow it in the theaters and such, and HBO was a relatively new thing at the time, so I'm guessing they were rights and different hoops to jump through before it could be aired.

I honestly be interested in the documentary about how HBO came out being and just the nuts and bolts behind how films get bought and put on their platform.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I think a lot of that lag had to do with movies still having the ability to reshow it in the theaters and such, and HBO was a relatively new thing at the time, so I'm guessing they were rights and different hoops to jump through before it could be aired.

I honestly be interested in the documentary about how HBO came out being and just the nuts and bolts behind how films get bought and put on their platform.
we have discussed this before on here, but HBO played the everliving fuck out of all their new films and then waited a few months and then played them again. rinse repeat. Star Wars i seen about 40-50 times on HBO as probably every kid at the time had. it was one of those films that came on after school. of course all us kids ran home to watch it. my mom would say. you're watching Star Wars AGAIN?! didnt you see that enough times?????
Me: no.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
we have discussed this before on here, but HBO played the everliving fuck out of all their new films and then waited a few months and then played them again. rinse repeat. Star Wars i seen about 40-50 times on HBO as probably every kid at the time had. it was one of those films that came on after school. of course all us kids ran home to watch it. my mom would say. you're watching Star Wars AGAIN?! didnt you see that enough times?????
Me: no.
Yeah, as a kid you would watch the same favorite movie of yours for a couple of months at least. The Last Starfighter, Space Hunter, Mad Max, RoboCop, Predator, any of the classics.

I get used to be Saturday night a new movie always came out, and then it would run for at least 4 to 8 weeks. I remember seeing a whole ton of the different James Bond movies on HBO with Roger Moore. Octopussy probably being the one I watched the most. I don't remember much about the film other than the dude with the yo-yo saw, and as a kid and maybe first grade blew my mind.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
i remember seeing The Thing with my dad at the theater. when the head on the floor sprouts spider legs and eyes and starts chugging along the floor. the guy stares at it and says "you gotta be fucking kidding me". my dad busted out laughing and says, "thats what i was thinking".
iu
Regime Regime turned me on to John Carpenter movies about 15 years ago. The Thing has one of my favorite movies and I watch it at least once a year. The outdoor wide shots look gorgeous in 4k.

I went on a physical buying spree this spring and got the best 4k / steelbooks / blu ray collectors ed I could find for each of The Thing, In the Mouth of Madness, Prince of Darkness, Halloween, Escape from NY, They Live, Vampires, The Fog, Christine and Big Trouble in Little China.

I don't have all his movies on disc yet, but I probably will by the end of the year.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah, as a kid you would watch the same favorite movie of yours for a couple of months at least. The Last Starfighter, Space Hunter, Mad Max, RoboCop, Predator, any of the classics.

I get used to be Saturday night a new movie always came out, and then it would run for at least 4 to 8 weeks. I remember seeing a whole ton of the different James Bond movies on HBO with Roger Moore. Octopussy probably being the one I watched the most. I don't remember much about the film other than the dude with the yo-yo saw, and as a kid and maybe first grade blew my mind.
Besides star wars, the most watched HBO movie for me was Swamp Thing. But not because the movie was that good, it was good, but there was a certain scene that made it epic if you were a 12 year old boy who just hit puberty. You got to see Adrienne Barbeau's impressive set of titties on full display. Runner ups include Megaforce and some weird movie called Superfuzz. Lots of others I seen tons of times, but those stick in my mind the best. Chick I dated in the 90s looked like and had big fat titties like Adrienne's. Motorboating those pontoons was one of the best moments of my life.

• 1Barf
  • 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Besides star wars, the most watched HBO movie for me was Swamp Thing. But not because the movie was that good, it was good, but there was a certain scene that made it epic if you were a 12 year old boy who just hit puberty. You got to see Adrienne Barbeau's impressive set of titties on full display. Runner ups include Megaforce and some weird movie called Superfuzz. Lots of others I seen tons of times, but those stick in my mind the best. Chick I dated in the 90s looked like and had big fat titties like Adrienne's. Motorboating those pontoons was one of the best moments of my life.
They actually filmed swamp thing on wadmala island up there in Charleston. Guy who taught me most of what I know about construction always talked about it. Adrienne barbeau and her amazing rack it's still legendary. No wonder you watched it all the time as a kid. You're a little bit older than I am so I kind of miss out on that HBO wonderfulness. I got bachelor party and a handful of other boner comedies like Porky's when I was a kid instead.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
They actually filmed swamp thing on wadmala island up there in Charleston. Guy who taught me most of what I know about construction always talked about it. Adrienne barbeau and her amazing rack it's still legendary. No wonder you watched it all the time as a kid. You're a little bit older than I am so I kind of miss out on that HBO wonderfulness. I got bachelor party and a handful of other boner comedies like Porky's when I was a kid instead.
the cool thing about Swamp Thing was it was PG so HBO could play it at any time of the day. I remember there was a minor stir at my school. I went to Catholic school and the stuck up girls overheard us boys talking about those titties everyday and told the nun principal on us . She demanded to know where we were seeing this dirty movie. Somebody said HBO and she says "Oh" and just walked away. Nothing she could do about. I had a school friend who didn't have HBO , but he wanted very badly to see those titties. so I invited him over to check it out cuz it was going to be on at 2:30, right when school got out. He saw them big flappers and was predictably impressed and had a big smile on his face afterward. I found out 15 years ago that that kid grew up and came out of the closet as gay. I never could understand that. How do you see a set like that and then opt in for cock?

• 2Worf
  • 1Double Worf

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
the cool thing about Swamp Thing was it was PG so HBO could play it at any time of the day. I remember there was a minor stir at my school. I went to Catholic school and the stuck up girls overheard us boys talking about those titties everyday and told the nun principal on us . She demanded to know where we were seeing this dirty movie. Somebody said HBO and she says "Oh" and just walked away. Nothing she could do about. I had a school friend who didn't have HBO , but he wanted very badly to see those titties. so I invited him over to check it out cuz it was going to be on at 2:30, right when school got out. He saw them big flappers and was predictably impressed and had a big smile on his face afterward. I found out 15 years ago that that kid grew up and came out of the closet as gay. I never could understand that. How do you see a set like that and then opt in for cock?
Hah, same thing, I went to a private Catholic school when I grew up in New Orleans.

It's no different than someone, somehow getting a hold of an old Playboy and sharing it with everybody. That's what you did when you were a kid, most people didn't turn out to be a weirdo.

• 1Like