NFL 2014 - 2015 Season Thread

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It will be interesting in a decade when Brady retires to bang his wife full time and decides to spill the beans on all of the spygate shit. Maybe it wasn't that bad, but they did burn the fucking tapes which suggests it was definitely worse than they were letting on, much like the Rice situation. If I had to guess, coach Bellicheat was likely more behind the shenanigans than Brady, though.

Regardless, I think Brady and Manning are about equal in ability and accomplishments and you could easily call either guy the second best of all time without getting laughed out of the room (Montana being the best all time). While Brady has more rings (asterisk and all), Manning has had more consistent long term success and with two teams. QBs almost never repeat early success when they move to another team, let alone going deep in the playoffs. Favre was close until bountygate did him in. Warner got robbed by the refs in his second team run to the Superbowl. Manning got the Broncos there in two years but they were mostly asleep at the wheel once they got there. The thing the Vikes, Cards, and Broncos all had in common was that they were struggling teams that instantly became successful when these guys jumped on board. We probably won't get that comparison with Brady, because he will likely retire once Bellicheck cuts him.

For the record, lifelong Packer fan and my all time list goes like this: Montana, Manning, Brady, Marino, Favre, Aikman, Moon, Young, Stauback, and Elway in that order.

It will be interesting in a decade when Brady retires to bang his wife full time and decides to spill the beans on all of the spygate shit. Maybe it wasn't that bad, but they did burn the fucking tapes which suggests it was definitely worse than they were letting on, much like the Rice situation. If I had to guess, coach Bellicheat was likely more behind the shenanigans than Brady, though.

Regardless, I think Brady and Manning are about equal in ability and accomplishments and you could easily call either guy the second best of all time without getting laughed out of the room (Montana being the best all time). While Brady has more rings (asterisk and all), Manning has had more consistent long term success and with two teams. QBs almost never repeat early success when they move to another team, let alone going deep in the playoffs. Favre was close until bountygate did him in. Warner got robbed by the refs in his second team run to the Superbowl. Manning got the Broncos there in two years but they were mostly asleep at the wheel once they got there. The thing the Vikes, Cards, and Broncos all had in common was that they were struggling teams that instantly became successful when these guys jumped on board. We probably won't get that comparison with Brady, because he will likely retire once Bellicheck cuts him.

For the record, lifelong Packer fan and my all time list goes like this: Montana, Manning, Brady, Marino, Favre, Aikman, Moon, Young, Stauback, and Elway in that order.
im not realistically arguing Brady is GOAT. That can't really be decided til someone has Mannings stats AND wins like 5 SB. So that list is perfect in my eyes 1-4

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider

You're fucking dead to me.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
is your primary fucking language Russian? That wasn't what he said. He said they're both better all-time than Brady.
sure are if you are going by playoffs and superbowls. just like he said.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>

Brady will never spill those beans because his legacy hinges as much on those SB wins as Belichick's does.

Without those SB wins and admission of cheating, he's just another Tony Romo.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Boston media thinks BB is an ego maniac and wants to win without Brady

I agree with you though, just because he'll be like 64-65?
Just seems like head coaches get to a point where its either die in the office or actually go on and enjoy what's left of your life. From what I've seen of how he spends his offseasons I never figured him for the obsessive nutcase who won't leave. He's accomplished plenty already.

moontayle

Golden Squire
I'm going to say this, and I'm completely serious, but Romo > Aikman.

Aikman was an incredibly mediocre QB who happened to play with a SHITLOAD of Hall of Fame talent around him.

Put Aikman on any other team in the 90s and he's basically no better than someone like Bernie Kosar or Steve Deberg
Aikman didn't really need to be more than pedestrian thanks to the way that offense was run. He could step it up every once in a while but for the most part, stats-wise, he wasn't anything special. There was even some doubt if he would get into the HOF in his first time up because of that. I mean, there's a reason most of Romo's team records were previously held by Danny White and not Aikman. He was good enough not to be a liability, which, at the end, allowed him to walk away with three super bowl rings.

sebur

Bronze Squire
Aikman didn't really need to be more than pedestrian thanks to the way that offense was run. He could step it up every once in a while but for the most part, stats-wise, he wasn't anything special. There was even some doubt if he would get into the HOF in his first time up because of that. I mean, there's a reason most of Romo's team records were previously held by Danny White and not Aikman. He was good enough not to be a liability, which, at the end, allowed him to walk away with three super bowl rings.
So he was the Alex Smith of his era then?

Disp_sl

shitlord
Aikman had a 17:4 TD:Int ratio in the postseason their 3 super bowl years. He had mediocre regular season stats, but he came to play in the postseason.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Brady will never spill those beans because his legacy hinges as much on those SB wins as Belichick's does.

Without those SB wins and admission of cheating, he's just another Tony Romo.
I guess if we ignore the double digit post season wins and titles sure . Might as well say he's just another Jay Cutler. It would be just as stupid.

Aikman had a 17:4 TD:Int ratio in the postseason their 3 super bowl years. He had mediocre regular season stats, but he came to play in the postseason.
and then how do you quantify that against the regular season and overall. always the trick

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
Of course they wouldn't. But like I said, if you're going by Playoffs and Superbowls, Troy Aikman, Bart Starr, and Terry Bradshaw are all better than Brady.
I really hate when people put Bradshaws name in any discussion of greats, the dude was mediocre at best, his first 2 SB wins he completed 9 passes in each.....his career comp % wasn't even 52%. Bradshaw isn't in Bradys league regular or post season.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I really hate when people put Bradshaws name in any discussion of greats, the dude was mediocre at best, his first 2 SB wins he completed 9 passes in each.....his career comp % wasn't even 52%. Bradshaw isn't in Bradys league regular or post season.
.737 playoff win %, 4-0 Super Bowls. Ultimate winner. Deal with it.

Disp_sl

shitlord
and then how do you quantify that against the regular season and overall. always the trick
Well both good regular season and good postseason QB's have made the hall. Steve Young was awesome in the regular season, but pretty mediocre in the post other than the in 1994 when they won it all. Aikman basically did what Flacco did a few years ago 3 times; pretty bad regular season and then lights out in the postseason.