NFL 2016 Offseason Thread - Fins' Quest to Defend Their Crown

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
I've said for awhile that the Browns needed a season like they had last year. A truly awful season that makes them burn the team to the ground and start over. So far I'm cautiously optimistic. Some of the choices seem a bit unorthodox but I think we got it right with the Head Coach (Hue Jackson). The whole analytics thing I'm not sold on but we'll see. Next up is dumping Manziel and he's all but confirmed gone. Word is that Jackson doesn't want to deal with him so we're likely going QB with the #2 pick.

So honest question, because I don't follow College Football much, is Goff or Lynch worth the #2 pick?

moontayle

Golden Squire
From what I've read, both are capable of succeeding in the NFL but they both have flaws that need to be worked out and both would definitely be better off for a red-shirt type rookie season behind a veteran QB so they can watch and learn. Granted, a #2 pick is more or less expected to produce immediately and for the Brownies, I would expect them to just throw the pick to the wolves (if it's a QB) and pray he doesn't get QBPTSD from losing all the time.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
On one hand, if any coach is going to maximize Kaepernick's skillset itwouldshould be Chip Kelly.

On the other hand, it sure feels like we are losing this offseason to the Browns. Ugh.

I'm not excited about the Chip Kelly hire, I would have rather landed Hue Jackson, but with how much turmoil this roster has seen since the beginning of last offseason, I just don't think it matters a whole lot who the coach is right now. I guess I can give York some credit that he (probably) didn't cheap-out on this hire.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I've said for awhile that the Browns needed a season like they had last year. A truly awful season that makes them burn the team to the ground and start over. So far I'm cautiously optimistic. Some of the choices seem a bit unorthodox but I think we got it right with the Head Coach (Hue Jackson). The whole analytics thing I'm not sold on but we'll see. Next up is dumping Manziel and he's all but confirmed gone. Word is that Jackson doesn't want to deal with him so we're likely going QB with the #2 pick.
Don't they burn the team to the ground and start over ever couple of years?

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Whelp, every Niners fan so far hates this move, must mean it's going to fucking work. Shit.

Rams go back to having the worst coach in the division, Krapernick might actually be worth something now. I'm guessing he has no personnel control so what are you all worried about? If Philly had a kicker this year they'd probably have made the playoffs again.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I wouldn't go with Goff or Lynch at #2. Both of them have potential, but are in no way a sure fire pick. There are players that are much closer to a sure pick than either of those QB's. If they could take one of them at #2 and let them sit for a year or 2, that would probably be worth it. But I don't think the Browns have that available to them right now.

Who knows though, maybe Goff gets picked #2 and he is the second coming of Aaron Rodgers.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Whelp, every Niners fan so far hates this move, must mean it's going to fucking work. Shit.

Rams go back to having the worst coach in the division, Krapernick might actually be worth something now. I'm guessing he has no personnel control so what are you all worried about? If Philly had a kicker this year they'd probably have made the playoffs again.
I'm worried by the fact that I could watch a Philly game and from my couch call out the play that Philly was about to run. Like any offensive gimmick it doesn't take NFL defenses long to figure it out and unless Kaep's running ability opens up an entire chapter of Chip's playbook that hasn't been used yet, NFC West defenses are going to tee-off against the Niners.

But my understanding is he does not have personnel control, Baalke is still pretty entrenched there for better or for worse.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Hue is a step forward for the Browns. I doubt the idiot owner keeps him long enough to turn it around but Jackson is a fine coach. I don't see any way they don't go Goff at pick #2. He has less of a learning curve(if only slightly) and who is that Russell Wilson stud that the Browns will find later in this draft? I dont see that guy this year and I was very high on Wilson in the draft.

San Fran is run by idiots. They can't handle a fantastic coach with personality but can handle an average(maybe slightly above) coach with personality? Hue chose the Browns over them! They wanted Harbaugh gone but the best they could get last year was Carl from ATHF. So much dysfunction.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
49ers store pulls Kaepernick merchandise out of clearance after Chip Kelly hire
49ers store pulls Kaepernick merchandise out of clearance after Chip Kelly hire - SFGate

Its Happening Chip Kelly FINAL eyes WATERMARK.gif

Cathan

Silver Knight of the Realm
So far I'm liking the Saints offseason. Brees and Peyton staying. Reorged our coaches. Picked up Dan Campbelll as an assistant/TE coach or something. Hopefully Dennis Allen works out at DC. Most everyone in NOLA is hoping Joe Vitt will finally leave, and our DL coach Bud something. They fired all of the scouts last year after the dogshit drafts we've had aside from Brandin Cooks in 2013 and a few from last year. The rookie LBs should be better next year (Anthony and Kikaha). Hopefully they can figure out wtf to do with Browner. Most everyone in NOLA hates him too after a bajillion penalties at the worst times and he didn't have hardly any of the outstanding plays that he had with Seattle/Pats. I can't say I blame him though, we've misused assloads of defensive players for years... With Keenan Louis and Delvin Breaux healthy we really don't even need Browner but he'd be just another cap hit. I'm hoping we shore up the guard position with a really good guard.

We're pretty fucked with a $30 mil dead money hit from all those shitty contracts. I'll never understand why they gave Guilette so much money, no wait I do, because we've had dick for pass rush since 09. I assume Loomis will restructure Brees' contract to be more team friendly or that's almost half our cap going to Brees and dead money ~60 million.

I'm not crazy about stating we'll make the playoffs next year at all. Most of our division sucks aside from Carolina. With their recent bad luck I thought for sure they would be in the toilet too. Somehow they keep making chicken salad out of chicken shit though. As bad as that last GM left them they've had some great drafts and made great personnel additions in FA or just plugging guys in. I never ever thought they'd go 15-1 this year.