NHL 2015-16 Season Thread

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
So, something I've noticed over the past couple years, mostly from hockey writers, is the use of the term "selling out". As in, "that defenseman was really selling out and blocking every shot he could". This is bugging the fuck out of me. "Selling out" has never been a positive in spoken usage, in my experience. You know, various bands would "sell out" because they wanted to sell more records, etc (see Tool's Hooker With A Penis). It's really fucking annoying. Example here:http://oilersnation.com/2016/6/14/20...ack-round-four

Carolina was selling out, so Cam Ward was less busy than he should have been.
That just doesn't make any sense to me.

Same goes with various usages of "track(ed)". In the past, if you went off the tracks/rails, that was a bad thing. "God did I ever get drunk last night; shit went totally off the rails/track". Trains are supposed to stay on the tracks! But now, I often see writers saying that a guy or team coming out of a slump by scoring a couple goals has "gotten untracked". What the fuck does that even mean? Example in the headline here, and they even use the opposite usage in the next fucking line:San Jose hope to get untracked back home in Shark Tank - Ice Hockey - Eurosport

San Jose hope to get untracked back home in Shark Tank

With the Penguins sweeping the opening two games of the best-of-seven on their home ice, the Sharks need to snap into focus at the SAP Center to get back on track in their first ever appearance in the Stanley Cup Finals.
Anyone notice these at all? Or is it just my OCD flaring up?

Juvarisx

Florida
Ducks rehired Carlyle, as a leafs fan all I can think is

large.jpg

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Don't think I've ever talked to a mod. How do I go about getting this put up?
Just got home and saw a PM from Grimmlokk. I don't follow this thread but it seems like you're manning up on a bet, so here's the avatar.

oh, and Sabres > Maple Leafs

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Touche

Nothing fairer. Best team won.

But yeah that's rough, like the Pats beating up my Steelers so many times.
I take issue with calling them the best team. They played well enough to have a chance, and they took advantage of it. If Murray from ECF and Finals shows up in our series though, I think you lose in 5.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Waiting on Carolina to buy back E.Staal for cheap. He was hinting from the get-go that going back wasn't out of the question. Dude did nothing for us and cost one of our better prospects.... dumb dumb dumb dumb DUMB.

Merrith

Waiting on Carolina to buy back E.Staal for cheap. He was hinting from the get-go that going back wasn't out of the question. Dude did nothing for us and cost one of our better prospects.... dumb dumb dumb dumb DUMB.
Basically Rangers MO last two years, no?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Basically Rangers MO last two years, no?
Longer than that, even. Basically since Sather has been there. They've had a hard time adapting to the cap, and were it not for lucking out in drafting one of the best goaltenders of all time in the 7th round, they'd have been a bottom third team pretty consistently the past 10 years. It's actually pretty incredible that the Rangers have been as competitive as they have been, looking at their recent draft history. It's a fucking wasteland:New York Rangers Draft History at hockeydb.com

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I take issue with calling them the best team. They played well enough to have a chance, and they took advantage of it. If Murray from ECF and Finals shows up in our series though, I think you lose in 5.
They closed the season as the best, they were the favorites to win it all according to actual experts and analysis, they beat the President's trophy winners 4-2, and they beat a murderer's row of goalies playing fantastic.

Murray gave up 5 total goals in the 4 Finals wins. And 7 in the ECF.

The best team one. Don't be a weepy bitch about it. Accept another season of Caps gonna Cap. Maybe next year*.

*Caps rallying cry for the past 4 decades.

Merrith

They closed the season as the best, they were the favorites to win it all according to actual experts and analysis, they beat the President's trophy winners 4-2, and they beat a murderer's row of goalies playing fantastic.

Murray gave up 5 total goals in the 4 Finals wins. And 7 in the ECF.

The best team one. Don't be a weepy bitch about it. Accept another season of Caps gonna Cap. Maybe next year*.

*Caps rallying cry for the past 4 decades.
I'll agree they were playing the best at the end. Possession and some advanced stats show Murray didn't really have to break much of a sweat in ECF or the Finals. That's why I was saying relatively he was a little more mediocre for those two series.

Hard sell on goalies playing fantastic. You got Lundqvist who didn't have a good year by his standards, and was downright bad in the playoffs. Holtby was extremely average in our series, Bishop got hurt in Game 1 so you got to go against a backup. Finals only time I'd really say you had a goalie stealing games from you.

Fadaar

That guy
I would like to think that Bishop could have salvaged at least one of those games in the ECF, but the rest of the team was so bad in the four losses that I don't think it would have mattered.

Merrith

I'd like to think I'll be fucking Taylor Swift tonight.

Blah blah blah. As long as we're hypothesizing I'd like to think a 100% healthy Malkin and Fleury would have led the Pens through a 16-0 playoff run with 16 shutouts.

Best team won. Seems to be the case in hockey more than the other major sports.

On the subject of the goofy Crosby Conn Smythe win.

Ballots show Crosby edged Kessel in tight Conn Smythe vote - Article - TSN
It's weird, part of me can buy Letang getting votes, part of me can't (over Murray at least). That is a very close vote though. Don't think I've ever seen the breakdown for one b/c they're usually not close.

businesscats_sl

shitlord
To TOR: G Frederik Andersen -- given 5yr contract extension
To ANA: 1st round 2016 (#30), 2nd round 2017

I think I might actually watch Leafs games now.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Good trade for both teams, really. They were going to lose one of them in the expansion draft anyway. That's another huge factor that will impact a lot of teams decisions over the next year. So many ramifications of no movement/trade clauses, protection for young players, and so on.

Merrith

Caps get Lars Eller for 2nd in 2017, and 2nd in 2018. Both probably late 2nd's at least. Little expensive, but guy is a legit 3rd line center who is pretty good defensively and is good for the ~15/15/30 range.

Also trade down from #26 to #28 with St. Louis and manage to get a 3rd round pick in return.