NHL 2015-16 Season Thread

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't follow the draft at all, but it's there any evidence that teams are trying to copy the Pens blueprint? There was some talk that they were the tip of the iceberg. League been leaning towards blocking shots/shot denial. Over traditional tough guy defense more and more for a few years.

Edit: booze, might fix tomorrow, sorry

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't follow the draft at all, but it's there any evidence that teams are trying to copy the Pens blueprint? There was some talk that they were the tip of the iceberg. League been leaning towards blocking shots/shot denial. Over traditional tough guy defense more and more for a few years.

Edit: booze, might fix tomorrow, sorry
Shit the Rangers were doing that awhile ago, especially under Torts. Pens blueprint in my mind would be the overall team speed, and getting some great contributions from your bottom 6. This by itself helped them push their possession edge in games quite a bit. Teams were just losing races and battles to every loose puck. Hit the jackpot on some moves and pickups. Bonino and Hagelin were phenomenal in the playoffs.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
July 1st is creeping up. Time for Detroit to strike out on stamkos and massively overpay a 2nd tier fa.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Supposedly Lucic and Demers are going to sign in Edmonton. They're visiting today. I like them both as players, obviously, but I'm concerned on what sort of dollars and term they're going to get. Lucic especially on term. He might well be done by the time he's 31 or 32. A six year contract is really risky for a guy like him. Plus the Oilers are already quite deep at LW, unless Hall or Pouliot are on the way out the door. Demers is a good player, but he's not a guy who will play 25-28 minutes a night, and he'll be the next in a long line of Oilers D asked to do way more than he's capable of if he's the only pickup on D. Plus, with the expansion draft next year, and the ins and outs of who needs to be protected, the Oilers can really only pick up one D this summer that will need protection next year.

It'll be an interesting few days, in any case!

Merrith

Sounds like Chimera might be done here. With the addition of Eller's salary and needing to give some small raises to a couple of RFA's, I don't there will be room for him. He made $2 million last year. Might be a decent veteran option for teams on their 3rd line. Scored 20 goals a couple times the last few years, but seems to either play well in the regular season or the playoffs, not both in the same season.

Juvarisx

Florida
LMFAO Chiarelli is a disaster at trading

Bob McKenzie ?@TSNBobMcKenzie 2m2 minutes ago

Trade is one for one: Adam Larsson for Taylor Hall.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Sounds like Chimera might be done here. With the addition of Eller's salary and needing to give some small raises to a couple of RFA's, I don't there will be room for him. He made $2 million last year. Might be a decent veteran option for teams on their 3rd line. Scored 20 goals a couple times the last few years, but seems to either play well in the regular season or the playoffs, not both in the same season.
Golfed with him last week. He hadn't heard anything from the Caps since the season ended. He was getting some interest from SJ and Tampa. Said he wants to play another 3-4 years. Shot a 71. What a dick.

Juvarisx_sl said:
LMFAO Chiarelli is a disaster at trading

Bob McKenzie ?@TSNBobMcKenzie 2m2 minutes ago

Trade is one for one: Adam Larsson for Taylor Hall.
Yeah, this is a terrible fucking trade. Unless Larsson has a whole other level to reach, yet. He just doesn't put up enough offense. He's got a good value contract I guess, but so does Hall. The Oil just traded one of the top 3 LW in the league for a middle of the pack D, straight up. I don't give a fuck if Lucic is signing on Friday, that's a shitty fucking trade. The only argument in it's favor is that they traded from their strongest position at LW (Hall, Pouliot, Maroon, and supposedly Lucic) to strengthen their weakest. But it's still a shit trade.

Juvarisx

Florida
"Worst 1v1 trade ever"

"BAW GAWD that's Bergevin's music!"

Subban for Webber 1 for 1

Ahahahahahahahahaahah

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
The Hall and Subban are very similar I think in that I believe they were done to change the atmosphere in the room.

Both players are rumored to have been problems in the room. I guess both GM want a change in mentality.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
The shameful thing is that many of the rumors about Hall were started by the Oilers organization itself. Jason Gregor, a local radio guy, was just ripping the shit out of the organization for that. And it makes no sense on it's face. The organization had McDavid shack up with Hall last year to show him the ropes. Yet Hall is a cancer? How does that make any fucking sense? Not to mention that a guy like Kane is a complete shit head off the ice. How many Cups has he won? Nobody gave a shit when Messier was crashing Sather's Porsche in to a tree while absolutely fucking hammered in the 80's, because the team was winning. Most of the team had massive coke habits, culminating in Fuhr's suspension eventually. Again, no one gave a shit because they fucking won.

The Oilers haven't been winning not because Hall or RNH or Eberle weren't good enough. Hall's even strength point production in the past 4 years is 3rd best in the league, behind Crosby and Benn. Eberle's been a very good scorer as well. RNH less so, but he's been hard matched against the best lines in the league. The Oilers have been shit because they have had an absolute shit D corps more or less since Pronger left in 2006. Visnovsky and Whitney had a couple decent seasons in there, but otherwise they've had absolutely fucking awful D for 10 years. That's not on Hall. That's on the organization. Instead they spent the better part of the last 5 years knifing him in the back publicly, and then traded him for a fucking brutal return because they were back in to a corner and 29 other GM's knew it.

I'd hoped that the "regime change" last summer would fix this kind of shit happening. But it looks like Chiarelli is just more of the same. Makes sense, though. Lowe, MacT, and Howson are all still working for the organization. Fuck, they probably keep in touch with Tambellini for scouting reports for all we know.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
heh, the Oiler's press conference for this was amusing listening. The local reporters were trying not to piss on Chia's shoes as best they could, but it was obvious that most in the room were like "what the fuck were you thinking, man?" Maybe the gamble pays off and Larsson blossoms in to a 40 point defenseman with some time on the PP. But just about every supposed hockey expert is slamming this trade:Statistically Speaking: Oilers don't get nearly enough for Hall - Article - TSN

Verdict: This is a landslide win for New Jersey. Even if the Edmonton Oilers are, as rumoured, poised to sign left winger Milan Lucic as a free agent, there is no justification for the Oilers to only get Larsson in return for Hall. Strictly in terms of asset management, it's unacceptable.
Cult of Hockey: Twitter boils over with news of Taylor Hall trade | Edmonton Journal

James Mirtle, the Globe & Mail: It's official. It's. the Oilers.

Travis Yost, TSN Hockey Analytics Writer: It's official. Oilers solidify one of the worst trades I can ever remember. Certainly so in the modern era. Fireable offense.

Allan "Lowetide" Mitchell, Oilers blogger & radio host: The Edmonton Oilers have dealt Taylor Hall. It is a terrible trade

Pat McLean, Oilers Blogger (Black Dog Hates Skunks): Said all along, it's ok to trade anyone but if you trade 4 you need a real return not a maybe. And then this. Devastating.

Heather Marginet, Oilers fan: Unless somehow they get a number 1 Dman with the extra cap space plus Lucic (and I am reaching I know) it's awful.

Jonathan Willis, Oilers blogger (Cult of Hockey): That's an unspeakably bad return. The really incredible thing is that it appears Edmonton has traded Taylor Hall and still needs a first unit PP defenceman.

Scott Wheeler, Leafs Blogger (Pension Plan Puppets): Taylor Hall is 24 years old and could finish in the top 10 in league scoring every year for the duration of his contract.

Eric Macramella, TSN Legal Analyst: Now that was just plain awful trade by Oilers. Terrible asset management by Oilers.

Darcy "Woodguy" McLeod, Oilers blogger (Because Oilers): Hall for Larsson and PK for Weber. ARE PEOPLE STILL WONDERING WHY CANADIAN TEAMS DON'T MAKE THE F***ING PLAYOFFS????

Bruce Arthur, : And people wonder why Canadian teams don't win Stanley Cups anymore

Aaron, Oilers fan: There is no way to justify this trade ESPECIALLY 10 minutes before Subban was traded. This is God awful. This team is doing a bang up job alienating their entire fanbase. No excuses anymore. I hate this team. Jump off a cliff @EdmontonOilers

Kris Hansen, Oilers blogger (The Oilers' Rig): Taylor Hall was my favorite Oiler. Have his jersey, multiple autographs. I'm extremely choked. The Oilers lose the trade.

Megan Fowler, Oilers blogger (The Oilers' Rig) and avowed Taylor Hall fan: I haven't had a favourite Oiler since Weight. I didn't want a favourite player because I knew it would break my heart.

Jason Gregor, TSN 1260: Anyone can debate trade. But hard to trust an organization that continually employs people who guided team to 10 years without playoffs.

Sean "Down Goes Brown" McIndoe, hockey blogger and humourist: The Oilers just traded Taylor Hall for a handful of beans. And not even magic beans. Like they reached into a dented can of baked beans.

More Willis: Q was just asked to compare Hall deal to Chicago trade losses. They aren't comparable. CHI moved complementary pieces to *keep* elite pieces.

Scott Cullen, TSN hockey analytics writer: If you were going to trade Taylor Hall or P.K. Subban, wouldn't you, perhaps, consider holding out for more?

More Yost: Team executive just now: "They should've called us - we easily put together a better package than Adam Larsson for Taylor Hall."

Alan Hull, Oilers blogger (Copper & Blue) in response to the above: I can't tell you how angry this makes me.

@nhldrafter, draft analysis site: Meanwhile .. Tyler Dellow was last seen running down the hall yelling to Chiarelli - 'I meant EKMAN-Larsson!'

More Willis: Adam Larsson played *tough* minutes for all of last year with Mark Fayne's old partner, Andy Greene.
45% Corsi, if you were wondering.

Terry Jones, Edmonton Sun: When did Adam Larsson become a No. 1 defenceman?

Bruce McCurdy, Oilers blogger (Cult of Hockey): Adam Larsson better be good.
Jason Cobb, Oilers fan: Hope no fans take it out on him.
McCurdy: Gospel truth in reply to my "Larsson better be good" tweet. Larsson's play is on Larsson, but the trade is on Chia
A couple websites have had polls up, and all of them are 80-90% on New Jersey winning the trade.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Chia is dumb, but at least it looks like an attempt at a hockey trade. Webber/suban trade makes no sense.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
One thing that tips the balance a teeny bit in Montreal's favor is the money. Weber's contract was severely front loaded. Philly did that to be cunts when they sent the offer sheet. But the dollars being moved are going in the opposite direction you'd expect: Montreal is the second or third richest club in the league, shouldn't really be concerned about money, and should be really leery of Weber's cap hit when he's 62 and still signed (if he retires, his cap hit disappears though, since it's not at 35+ contract). Nashville on the other hand IS a budget club, so it's a little strange that they'd be willing to take on the much heftier salary that comes with PK. But they definitely got the better player, if not now, within a year or two.

Seriously though, twitter, Oilers blogs, and my Facebook are exploding. People are PISSED about the Hall trade. The Willis quote above is the money one, really: "That's an unspeakably bad return. The really incredible thing is that it appears Edmonton has traded Taylor Hall and still needs a first unit PP defenceman."

Don't worry Willis! They'll sign Demers to a 6 million dollar a year contract to fix that!

Fadaar

That guy
Steven Stamkos is staying with the Lightning with 8-year contract - CBSSports.com

Yeah buddy, $8.5 mil a year. Doesn't eat up too much space for when everyone else needs to be re-signed next season. No state income tax and the Lightning's ability to give an 8 year contract probably solidified it I'd guess. Apparently the details of the deal were settled a long time ago, because I was reading articles back in January with these EXACT same numbers.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
"Worst 1v1 trade ever"

"BAW GAWD that's Bergevin's music!"

Subban for Webber 1 for 1

Ahahahahahahahahaahah
where is that quote from?
redface.png

Araxen

I think it's safe to say the Stanley Cup isn't leaving the United States anytime soon.