Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I can think of two reasons. The machine was hacked and people were loading roms on it so they want to come out with a more secure version or they want to make a higher profit margin when they release those same games in a pack for the switch.
The first reason doesn't make sense. First, even if you hack it, you have to buy the nes classic anyways. Second, by hacking it all it allows you to do is add more games by pirating them, and at worst they take a very small hit for some of their classic games on the Wii U or 3ds, but definitely not more than the profit on the classic itself. Third, the type of people that are going to mod it aren't going to be buying those games in the eshop to begin with. If they have a Wii U they will have already modded it.

My guess is that we are going to see VC release soon, or at least classic game bundles being sold for the switch.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Wasn't that world wide? Switch numbers are US only

Nope. US only as well. (Oops. Also includes Canada, but still)

PS4: 1 million sold in first day on sale in the US

Point being that the Switch will now start to get it's ass kicked. Zelda is over with. Without VC, a shit online service, limited library, games costing more than other platforms for the same games, years' old games they are expecting people to re-buy, hardware issues, and no line up to matter (Mario Kart won't do shit for this sorry and neither will Splatoon 2) I would be surprised to see this outsell the Wii U over the life span.

• 1Solidarity

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Nope. US only as well. (Oops. Also includes Canada, but still)

PS4: 1 million sold in first day on sale in the US

Point being that the Switch will now start to get it's ass kicked. Zelda is over with. Without VC, a shit online service, limited library, games costing more than other platforms for the same games, years' old games they are expecting people to re-buy, hardware issues, and no line up to matter (Mario Kart won't do shit for this sorry and neither will Splatoon 2) I would be surprised to see this outsell the Wii U over the life span.

It was also during the Holidays, not March. Switch is still selling out all of it's shipments - we won't know how it's momentum is until they start sitting on shelves in US and Japan.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I really hope Nintendo pulls the plug on hardware next generation. BotW is a revelation. Even with its cel-shaded graphics, it would be a marvelous game on PS4. Imagine how much Nintendo might be able to accomplish with game design if they poured their resources into just that. Fuck, design peripherals, too, if you must to do the quirky Wii/Wii U shit.

I can't help but think how different things would be had the PS1 still released with Nintendo involved. Sony pushing the hardware. Nintendo on software and gimmicks. MS would be fucking hurting. And the Dreamcast may have done better as a second system. Sega and Sontendo might be duking it out.

• 1Like

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I really hope Nintendo pulls the plug on hardware next generation. BotW is a revelation. Even with its cel-shaded graphics, it would be a marvelous game on PS4. Imagine how much Nintendo might be able to accomplish with game design if they poured their resources into just that. Fuck, design peripherals, too, if you must to do the quirky Wii/Wii U shit.

I can't help but think how different things would be had the PS1 still released with Nintendo involved. Sony pushing the hardware. Nintendo on software and gimmicks. MS would be fucking hurting. And the Dreamcast may have done better as a second system. Sega and Sontendo might be duking it out.

Dude, you just need to get over this shit. We live in a world where the most popular games are fucking League, WoW, Minecraft, Counter-Strike, and other bullshit that can run on toasters. The days of needing bleeding edge visuals to be recognized are over. This doesn't mean bleeding edge won't happen anymore. First parties on the other systems and some PC devs will still do that. But we're at the point where aesthetic and content is more important than sheer technical ability. Nintendo simply stopped going for the bleeding edge with their games, they still look great.

There are still lines and it's still sold out. It's about to get Mario Kart 8, then Minecraft next month, then Splatoon 2 and ARMs. You're deluded if you think those games won't do anything. Splatoon 2 alone will light Japan on fire. ARMS is a wildcard, but I've seen a lot of interest for it. As for the online and shit, we still don't know how they'll be setting all of that up. Just yesterday Epic confirmed 20 games using UE4 are coming to Switch. Nintendo games aren't coming to Sony systems, period.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Dude, you just need to get over this shit. We live in a world where the most popular games are fucking League, WoW, Minecraft, Counter-Strike, and other bullshit that can run on toasters. The days of needing bleeding edge visuals to be recognized are over. This doesn't mean bleeding edge won't happen anymore. First parties on the other systems and some PC devs will still do that. But we're at the point where aesthetic and content is more important than sheer technical ability. Nintendo simply stopped going for the bleeding edge with their games, they still look great.

There are still lines and it's still sold out. It's about to get Mario Kart 8, then Minecraft next month, then Splatoon 2 and ARMs. You're deluded if you think those games won't do anything. Splatoon 2 alone will light Japan on fire. ARMS is a wildcard, but I've seen a lot of interest for it. As for the online and shit, we still don't know how they'll be setting all of that up. Just yesterday Epic confirmed 20 games using UE4 are coming to Switch. Nintendo games aren't coming to Sony systems, period.

Sorry man but this is the exact backwards thinking that crushed the Wii U.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Sorry man but this is the exact backwards thinking that crushed the Wii U.

The Wii U was crushed because it's selling point was something no one wanted. It used old Gamecube/Wii architecture, so no modern engines could be brought to the system even if a company wanted to. It's development tools were also apparently horrible. It's message also confused the shit out of people. Pretty much all of this has been remedied with the Switch.

Rather than argue about it, let time tell. I could be completely wrong, but I don't see a Wii U situation here at all. Especially when Nintendo decides to sunset 3DS development.

Now, to be clear, I'm not saying it's going to be the next Wii. But I think it's going to be a rather successful system and something Nintendo will build on over the years.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I think the switch will be very succesful. The entire trend in consoles seems to be just upgrade them like PCs instead of a entire new architecture from the ground up. We already saw this with the Xbox one and PS4. Nintendo already has experience with this strategy with the entire DS line. I see a new upgraded switch every couple years with more power and better reso etc.

They are in a really good spot. They have their IPs plus they have their own little niche with the portable console that can be used at home.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Do you live in Europe? Because that's the only place I've heard of that actually has them on store shelves.

I've seen them on store shelves in the Phoenix are also for the last couple of weeks. I don't think this is much of an indicator of anything since most people are looking to buy online and don't take the time to go to local stores.

• 1Like

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I see them in the Dallas area. I am not against switch or anything and will probably pick up one on a hardware revision if they get a lot of rpgs like 3ds did. I just think they may have done too much damage with the rushed launch.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I see them in the Dallas area. I am not against switch or anything and will probably pick up one on a hardware revision if they get a lot of rpgs like 3ds did. I just think they may have done too much damage with the rushed launch.

I'm in Louisiana, been checking Wal-marts when I pass through and I've yet to see any. Some of the local Gamestops have gotten shipments but they don't last very long.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I think you missed my point. I don't give a fuck about graphics really. I just know the market does to some degree they could literally port BotW to PS4 and probably win game of the year in most votes (still might now) without tweaking shit graphically.

The bottom line is that no other developers want to build for Nintendo's gimmicky, underpowered hardware. Nintendo could absolutely dominate sales charts on the PS4 though and release games a generation back in terms of graphical fidelity. I actually said game DESIGN in my original post. I said shit all about graphics. It's a shame that Sony doesn't have Nintendo games. Then people wouldn't be buying specialized hardware for a subset of 5-6 must play first party games rather than having almost EVERY FUCKING HOUSEHOLD available as a market with the do-it-all PS4. Not to mention the barely $100 difference in barrier to entry for the two despite PS4 being a significantly better investment. We aren't the deciders. We'll own all three at some point. The average family is. I bet they have a PS4 so dad can steal it for his yearly Madden fix.

For the record, I play most of my time on WoW, D3, Skyrim, and various retro games on old systems or emulators. The only thing cutting edge to even a remote degree in that list is Skyrim.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
With that said, that doesn't mean anything other than there is a lot of stock and Nintendo making another supply blunder as they did with the GameCube and Wii U.

Overall, the hardware sucks. The only redeeming value is a portable which could have an impact but even that doesn't hold water because it's too fucking big. It could have replaced mini tablets but they fucked up when they didn't add apps and functionality which are standard on all devices. There is no virtual console as of yet, and instead of integrating with previous purchases via eshop s, they fucked that up as well and expect everyone to buy a new port of the same shit they have already bought eight times over. Port costs my ass when they also have already been busted using rom emulators which they didn't even develop. Game prices over 30% higher than all other platforms for years old shit indie games.

There are a million reasons why NOT to buy this. And only one reason one would want too (portability) and when it comes to content as king, all that content can be bought and played on a better portable in the 3DS.

Sith, no offense, but you sound like a Nintendo tag line. The same backwards thinking NOJ has always had. Even with NOA tried to talk them out of this fucking mess. And I do know that last one for an absolute fact. Nintendo or America executives warned their Japanese overlords to rethink every value point the system could offer and also wanted to push everything to November. They didn't listen.

This thing will fucking bomb. Wii U bomb. And one this happens yet again, there will most definitely not be any glimpse of 3rd party support. Fuck even signed third party are already fucking bailing.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
This thing will fucking bomb. Wii U bomb. And one this happens yet again, there will most definitely not be any glimpse of 3rd party support. Fuck, 3rd party, even signed third party, are already fucking bailing.

And can you point me to the people who are bailing? Any articles? Where are you getting this information?