Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I think you missed my point. I don't give a fuck about graphics really. I just know the market does to some degree they could literally port BotW to PS4 and probably win game of the year in most votes (still might now) without tweaking shit graphically.

The bottom line is that no other developers want to build for Nintendo's gimmicky, underpowered hardware. Nintendo could absolutely dominate sales charts on the PS4 though and release games a generation back in terms of graphical fidelity. I actually said game DESIGN in my original post. I said shit all about graphics. It's a shame that Sony doesn't have Nintendo games. Then people wouldn't be buying specialized hardware for a subset of 5-6 must play first party games rather than having almost EVERY FUCKING HOUSEHOLD available as a market with the do-it-all PS4. Not to mention the barely $100 difference in barrier to entry for the two despite PS4 being a significantly better investment. We aren't the deciders. We'll own all three at some point. The average family is. I bet they have a PS4 so dad can steal it for his yearly Madden fix.

For the record, I play most of my time on WoW, D3, Skyrim, and various retro games on old systems or emulators. The only thing cutting edge to even a remote degree in that list is Skyrim.

They'd make less money if they stopped making hardware and went 3rd party. Still in 2017 they make most of their revenue from hardware. It makes no business sense to go 3rd party - it only makes sense for non-Nintendo consumers.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
And can you point me to the people who are bailing? Any articles? Where are you getting this information?

I cannot link you anything. I know of three development firms that decided just two weeks ago that cross platform means more than having an entire 3rd party port cost for the switch to make their games run effectively. And the switch is too underpowered to make that the least commmon denominator system for development. Also, most 3rd party are already at work developing for Scorpio and have been for over a year.

They aren't touching this shit.

It's economically based business decisions, and estimates already show the switch not even having close to an install base worth developing for and taking a risk.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
And can you point me to the people who are bailing? Any articles? Where are you getting this information?

He can't - it's just more bold claims by Ut just like his "sources" in all the big MMO developers over the years.

I cannot link you anything. I know of three development firms that decided just two weeks ago that cross platform means more than having an entire 3rd party port cost for the switch to make their games run effectively. And the switch is too underpowered to make that the least commmon denominator system for development. Also, most 3rd party are already at work developing for Scorpio and have been for over a year.

They aren't touching this shit.

Meanwhile SUMO Digital got Snake Pass running on the Switch in less than a week after getting their dev kit and had it fully ported in just a couple months in time for the Switch launch.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I mean we can all blow PR smoke up each other's asses all damn day if you want. In a year this dust collector will be another notch in the belt of backwards Nintendo fuckups in which it's all they ever do. It's expected. Their Japanese executives are fucking brain dead. That's just the way it is.

The fact alone where was massive infighting between America and Japanese BU's in which the Japanese executives squashed all feedback, is insulting to not only people trying to make this system what it should have been, but a direct fist up to arm up the ass of any consumer

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
It's easy to predict the failure of an MMO. They all fail.

Seriously though, where are you getting this? Because I'm not seeing anything about anyone bailing out.

Inside sources and if I say anything here publcially about who it will fuck up their careers. Sorry I not trying to be a dick or anything. But people are pulling out. Some that are being paid by Nintendo to develop due i marketing are obviously staying in. Like Bethesda for skyrim but that's a port of a port for the Xbox 360. And they aren't even allocating internal resources and hired cheap 3rd party. (Most do this so really nothing new)

Thing is though, all first party is in full swing as normal. Metroid being one of them.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Inside sources and if I say anything here publcially about who it will fuck up their careers. Sorry I not trying to be a dick or anything. But people are pulling out. Some that are being paid by Nintendo to develop due i marketing are obviously staying in. Like Bethesda for skyrim but that's a port of a port for the Xbox 360. And they aren't even allocating internal resources and hired cheap 3rd party. (Most do this so really nothing new)

Thing is though, all first party is in full swing as normal. Metroid being one of them.

Okay, so you have nothing. Metroid has already been rumored for Switch for a while now, so that wouldn't be a surprise.

Either way, I don't think anyone is expecting RDR2 or whatever. I'm more expecting indie support, a lot of Japanese support, and a massive amount of first party games as soon as the 3DS is sunsetted. Best I'm expecting out of the west is some sports games and maybe COD.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
No I have everything. You think developers are all out announcing this shit? Come on.

3DS won't be sunsetted once this doesn't sell. Not even Nintendo is that stupid. An 80 million install base and licensing for actual 3rd party support? Why the fuck would they sunset that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
No I have everything. You think developers are all out announcing this shit? Come on.

3DS won't be sunsetted once this doesn't sell. Not even Nintendo is that stupid. An 80 million install base and licensing for actual 3rd party support? Why the fuck would they sunset that.

You don't have anything. You're like that kid in school who said his dad worked for "insert video game company here."

As for sunsetting, the same reason they sunset the DS and Wii even with massive install bases. It won't happen all at once, but it will be sunsetted.

We could argue about this forever, so lets wait and see how it turns out. Like I said, I could be completely wrong in the end. But I think it'll be a pretty successful system over time. Especially when there's a price drop, bundles, and variations (Iwata did say that the system would be a family of systems). Only time will t ell.

Last edited:

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
3DS is 6 years old and was already no graphical power house when it launched. Their handheld and console dev teams combined ~3 years ago. Nintendo and nVidia are setup for a 10 year partnership. All signs point to the Switch ecosystem being the sole one moving forward.

There will probably be a 3DS successor that's more portable, but it will still be running the Switch OS and games.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
You don't have anything. You're like that kid in school who said his dad worked for "insert video game company here."

As for sunsetting, the same reason they sunset the DS and Wii even with massive install bases. It won't happen all at once, but it will be sunsetted.

We could argue about this forever, so lets wait and see how it turns out. Like I said, I could be completely wrong in the end. But I think it'll be a pretty successful system over time. Especially when there's a price drop, bundles, and variations (Iwata did say that the system would be a family of systems). Only time will t ell.

I'm just passing info on what I hear. It isn't like I want Nintendo to fail you know. It's that they need to pull their head out of their ass and the only way that happens is to not buy their worthless console here.

Nintendo won't sunset 3DS because the switch won't even come close to 20 million installmi h less 80 million. There is an 80-85 now? Million unit install base for the 3DS. They won't sunset it because the switch won't do well and even if they do years from now, this console won't be the replacement.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
3DS is 6 years old and was already no graphical power house when it launched. Their handheld and console dev teams combined ~3 years ago. Nintendo and nVidia are setup for a 10 year partnership. All signs point to the Switch ecosystem being the sole one moving forward.

There will probably be a 3DS successor that's more portable, but it will still be running the Switch OS and games.

You would be right is the console sells. It won't.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
The masses will have a better idea of what they're in for with 3rd parties when we see what FIFA and NBA2k look like on the Switch.

• 1Like

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
You would be right is the console sells. It won't.

Dude they aren't going to just keep making first party games for a 6 year old handheld - some small 3rd parties in Japan will continue just like they did for PS2. It's getting replaced one way or another. The most demanding 3DS games like Monster Hunter XX and Pokemon Sun/Moon are already pushing the limits of even the New 3DS hardware. Also 3DS only has about 65 mil install base.

The more conservative estimates have Switch selling 7.5-8 mil by the end of this year's Holidays. If it gets Pokemon/Monster Hunter announced at E3, the hardcore 3DS consumers are going to buy it. Fire Emblem already has a game in the works, as does Shin Megami Tensei from the 4th pillar of 3DS developers, Atlus.

Wii had 100 million install base and they moved on. 360 and PS3 had 80 million install bases and they moved on. Developers want to use the best hardware they can.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Why wouldn't those companies make mobile games at this point exactly?

If you're going AAA title hardware, the Switch isn't it. If you're going for market penetration and mobility with OK performance, Switch isn't it either.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Didn't Monster Hunter release on the Wii U? Didn't Mario Kart and Splatoon and Donkey Kong and a half dozen other games that people swore would move consoles? For all the talk about how everyone knew it was a bust it still sold as much as the Switch in first six weeks and every time a new game was announced it became the next "megaton" or "game changer" that would move consoles.

I think the Switch craze is actually a Zelda craze and I think this thing will come down to earth soon enough. The only game I see as a system seller is a Pokemon game and as far as I know that hasn't been announced.

There is also the problem of the Switch being a 50% mark up over the 3ds. All the people thinking that those customers are just going to move on over, should Nintendo shuttle that system, aren't being realistic. The 3ds launch was a disaster at release due to a higher price, and it's worldwide sales, minus Japan, still aren't even all that great. Getting those same people to turn around and pay $100-200 more for a Switch isn't exactly a lay up.

I own a 3ds and bought two for my sisters kids. There is no way in hell I'd buy a Switch for them even if it were $200. They'd break it within a week. For all the talk about being a portable system I've still yet to see one in the wild and the people who are in love this thing all seem to thirtyish year old men. Meanwhile like 80% of the people I know or have run into that own a 3ds are children. These are two completely separate demographics and in a large family with a dozen kids under 14 I've not heard a peep out of any of them about wanting a Switch.

This thing will never hit Wii numbers, or even close, without casuals and children and yet it's being hyped as the second coming on backs of nothing but 30 year old neckbeards. I think the Switch is a two pump chump and it's already blown it's load. Zelda front loaded the shit out of sales and it will do nothing but slow down from here on out.

P.S. They aren't sold out everywhere. I could have bought one on half a dozen different occasions over the last couple weeks, and I've seen more and more people saying they've seen them in stores. I have no doubt that had Nintendo actually produced a decent amount of systems we'd be seeing another Wii U stock situation.

• 2Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The arguments are Nintendo doesn't do cutting edge, but developers and Nintendo will move to develop for the best hardware?

I wonder what the sales numbers are for 3DS games now? Anecdotally, the kids I have accesss to all have their 3DS in a closet collecting dust or have loaned it to their uncle (me) so he could catch up on an entire generation of mobile shit.

I likewise haven't heard two peeps about Switch. It's all PS4, tablets, and PC.

• 1Like

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I bought a WiiU and a N3DS for monster hunter not buying a Switch, as far as I'm concerned until Nintendo gets off there high horse they can just fuck right off

• 2Like