Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
The arguments are Nintendo doesn't do cutting edge, but developers and Nintendo will move to develop for the best hardware?

The best hardware available to them, yes. Switch is the most powerful handheld. Before you say XB1/PS4, remember that the biggest franchises for 3DS are all handheld focused because in Japan that's what sells. Consoles are dead there. Mobile is actually the biggest market in Japan as well but there are no phones built with gaming in mind (tactile controls). If Capcom/Atlus/Level-5/GameFreak want to release games with higher technical ceiling, they don't have a choice but moving to Switch.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
The best hardware available to them, yes. Switch is the most powerful handheld. Before you say XB1/PS4, remember that the biggest franchises for 3DS are all handheld focused because in Japan that's what sells. Consoles are dead there. Mobile is actually the biggest market in Japan as well but there are no phones built with gaming in mind (tactile controls). If Capcom/Atlus/Level-5/GameFreak want to release games with higher technical ceiling, they don't have a choice but moving to Switch.

Those games are also games that can run on decades old hardware and haven't changed in God knows how long now. And without severe Art Direction/Animation/Engine changes from Atlus (Who is the most important in that equation) the Switch hardware will not be needed. Especially when it comes to a decision of the totality of the circumstances of being careful due to past Wii U Failure, the bad press surrounding the switch at the moment, no install base, and another portable system which has over 85 million installed and won't be end of life for at least another 2-3 years.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
How much better would Zelda be on a regular console with the power somewhere between a PS4 and a Scorpio? Nintendo should stop fucking around and make a real non gimmicky console.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
How much better would Zelda be on a regular console with the power somewhere between a PS4 and a Scorpio? Nintendo should stop fucking around and make a real non gimmicky console.

Seriously. That game should easily be 4k HDR at 60Fps. Hell, keep the same art direction they took because I thought it was great. Increase the view distance, support a TRUE 5.1 Surround sound track, and oh by the way, sell 10+ million within a week across all platforms.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Fuck, I bet that combined with streamlining their hardware division to make batshit insane peripherals would yield a far more profitable and popular company. That was my point.

Nintendo is a publicly traded company. Merely being profitable is not enough today. They're generating a fraction of the shareholder value they could be if they'd play more like Disney.

Actually, Nintendo makes a fuckton of sense for being the House of Mouse's next corporate takeover target. Beloved brands that have a bit of tarnish? Family oriented? Enduring nostalgia? Ready-made characters primed for a multipronged media assault? And theme park ready?

2022: Super Mario Land opening in Florida!

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Nintendo is already building theme parks with Universal.

Also, while Nintendo is a public company, they act like a private one. They pretty much ignore their shareholders. Although shareholders have been wanting them to make mobile games for a decade and they finally caved to that so who knows.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I won't lie, I'm insanely excited for Universal's Nintendoland. They can do with Nintendo what they did with Harry Potter.

Maybe by the time it's open I'll actually have a Switch, so I can wander the mushroom kingdom while wandering the mushroom kingdom.

6997a906382f8e4957bc65043953433b_-of-a-rapper-xzibit-was-is-xzibit-meme_744-463.png

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Gee makes you wonder why the VC wasn't included in the switch :)

You know, aside from the fact this console should have never been fucking launched.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Should own a 3DS then. Since it has a huge library and all the games the switch has for themost part at also half the price because, hey let's charge double the price for a fucking indie game.

I actually picked up a 3ds and this was a great call. I've never owned a Nintendo portable and the back catalogue of good stuff I've missed will probably last until my kids are in college.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I actually picked up a 3ds and this was a great call. I've never owned a Nintendo portable and the back catalogue of good stuff I've missed will probably last until my kids are in college.

Yeah for sure. No need to get a switch. Especially for the same ports you are going to see on the switch as they just roll out old software.

You should also visit the hacking the 3DS thread if you get bored :)

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Yeah for sure. No need to get a switch. Especially for the same ports you are going to see on the switch as they just roll out old software.

You should also visit the hacking the 3DS thread if you get bored :)

That was the first thing I did. I've already bought carts of 99% of the VC stuff I'd ever be interested in and don't feel compelled to pay again.

• 1Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
They're pretty easy to build and mess with. I have one hooked up to a 27 inch CRT I recently salvaged. Looks pretty good! I didn't buy the SNES ripoff controllers, but instead found a USB SNES controller adapter. Works great. Honestly the most annoying part is how much fiddling you have to do to get certain MAME games to work. Its PITA. I've taken it home and to friends houses for some retro fun.

PI 3 does up to PS1/N64 games.

I still might get the SNES but only for a collectible. Didn't bother with the NES.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I think I'm going to make one of these. Looks fun. What are the must have parts? And is it difficult?

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
it depends on what you have available as far as controllers go, if you just have DualSHock3/4, Xbox360, X1 controllers the only thing you need is the Pi3(seriously buy a case also), if you have older SNES/NES, or Arcade controllers laying around you want too use, then you'll also need the Controller Board