Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Still very much in the category of "if this simultaneously releases on Steam I'm buying it for PC instead"

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
1408-1536 CUDA cores is the level of GTX 1660 Super - GTX 1660 Ti, and it's further gimped by those terrible memory specs.

Doesn't really surprise me coming from Nintendo though. They can fuck right off if that price tag is correct, doubly so if it's also true that the screen will be downgraded back to a shitty LCD.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Nintendo gave up the graphics fight in the n64 game cube era- they are all focused on the game and it’s experience- it’s worked for them so far.

the handheld - home console has often been wanted but the switch was the first real hit - so why deviate? Also again if they keep the switch name it will be a Wii WiiU thing for Nintendo in their point of view

• 1Dislike

spronk

FPS noob
yeah with the massive wave of layoffs and cost cutting nintendos way is way smarter, like their recent mario game is only 3 gigs in size while final fantasy 7 rebirth is like 150 gigs lol. its nice to have both.

i doubt most people give a shit about emulating and stuff, they will just buy a switch and play it on there. new mario kart, new zelda, new smash, new animal crossing, new persona, etc and you've racked up 100m in software sales with less effort than a single ps5 game

• 1Like

Flight

Molten Core Raider
I've done the latest Expedition in No Mans Sky on PC, Switch and XBox.

Switch struggles too much. Physics don't work properly, dig a hole and maybe see it 10 seconds later, load times are minutes long. Water isn't drawn in so planets with huge oceans look like fully mountains. Six crashes in one day. Unplayable.

XBox performance is on par with PC, as expected.

Point of this is it's no surprise they are pushing to get their next console out as soon as possible with cross platform becoming more and more prevalent. It's been a great handheld hybrid for its own type of games but that's not enough any more for the suits.

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
Release a new upgraded switch every 4 years, I don't care. It’s as close to a perfect medium between mobile and console as possible. The game boy was fucking awesome and everyone had one and carried one in the 90’s, it just needed technology to advance so it could. Here we are. I don’t need or want a modern Nintendo super 360 9 console to compete with the PC or the Playstation 50. I want something I can take on the go or on vacations and play something with the kids while relaxing on the beach or in the car. If I want to sit down in the same spot for hours to play something with the latest and greatest graphics I’ll use my 7+ year old PC which is still going strong and blows everything out of the water still in that department.

That said, if the new Switch isn’t a significant upgrade compared to the original and at a similar price point, I have no problem with waiting for Switch 2 2.0 which we all know will be coming a couple years after release just like the Switch OLED and Switch Light. I’m also going to go out on a limb here and say there might be a sizable portion of Nintendos fanbase which feels the same. Most of Nintendos fanbase just plays Nintendo exclusives and most of those are not super hardware intensive. If the new switch is basically just slightly faster, I wouldn’t be surprised at all to learn that a lot of people temporarily pass until they need to.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
My current laptop is beginning to break down, time to get a new one. Was gonna wait and get one on Black Friday like I usually do every 3 or so years, but there are some good sales at Best Buy this weekend:

Never emulated Switch, Wii, PS2, or anything beyond the 1990's really, but I wanted to try getting into that stuff in the future to give it a try at least. And I really want to play the no-longer-available Castlevania Wiiware game.

So my question is, what spec should I prioritize for having a better shot at these things working? RAM? Processor? Graphics card? Is 8 GB RAM sufficient for running a Wii game or should I get 16?

Not really planning on Switch emulation working (or need it for anything besides prettier Zeldas), but at the very least PS2 and Wii would be very helpful given how inaccessible that era is getting.

Mainly looking at the Lenovo (349), Dell (699) and MSI (799). The Lenovo is underpowered at 8 GB but I had great experiences with Lenovo in the past compared to the others.

Edit: Nobody knows? Alright, going with the 8 GB Lenovo and hoping for the best.

Last edited:

ShakyJake

<Donor>
One would think phones are becoming competitive in the hand held realm. Besides exclusives, what does Nintendo have going for it over an equivalently priced phone? Also factor in the increasing move to cloud streaming. Not seeing a bright future for Nintendo if they keep themselves locked to their own platform.

• 1Seriously?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Nintendo doesn't need anything besides their exclusives. As long as they continue to sell 10s of millions of copies of Smash Bros., Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Zelda, etc., they'll be fine as long as their hardware is the only way to play them.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Apparently the Yuzu vs Nintendo thing already ended with a settlement for $2.4m. Guess the Yuzu guys didn't want to drag it out in lawyer fees and could somehow afford that much. Interesting Nintendo settled for that amount thought they were looking at making an example but that's realistically not that much money especially since they were claiming they lost 1m sales in the suit.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The RIAA has lost billions in sales. Trillions even. Yeah no one believes that bullshit.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
yuzu is also shutting down so you can grab the latest release for archival historical reasons if you want

github.com/pineappleEA/pineapple-src/releases

it is an emulator that does usually require some internal patches for newer games so the stuff unreleased may not run but everything to date runs almost flawlessly on it on any old PC. i wonder if big N will go after ryujinx next

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
yuzu is also shutting down so you can grab the latest release for archival historical reasons if you want

github.com/pineappleEA/pineapple-src/releases

it is an emulator that does usually require some internal patches for newer games so the stuff unreleased may not run but everything to date runs almost flawlessly on it on any old PC. i wonder if big N will go after ryujinx next

That's why I'm getting my emulation on now, feels like a lot of these things are gonna be harder to get in the future if these companies are cracking down.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Apparently the Yuzu vs Nintendo thing already ended with a settlement for $2.4m. Guess the Yuzu guys didn't want to drag it out in lawyer fees and could somehow afford that much.

They didn't want to drag it out because they were unequivocally fucked. Turns out distributing ROM dumping tools, linking directly to pirate copies of games in your Discord and selling an early access version of your emulator on a $30k/month Patreon is, in fact, a Really Fuckin Bad Idea™️.

Ryujinx is better, anyway.

joz123

Potato del Grande
They didn't want to drag it out because they were unequivocally fucked. Turns out distributing ROM dumping tools, linking directly to pirate copies of games in your Discord and selling an early access version of your emulator on a $30k/month Patreon is, in fact, a Really Fuckin Bad Idea™️.

They even had private servers people could use if they paid extra for also. Morons in charge over there.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

Oh yeah I'm reading they had a bunch of stupid shit setup, I thought they had this setup in a non stupid way where it was purely the emulator and none of the pirate-y stuff to try to keep away from lawyers but apparently nope they were just doing stupid stuff. The Patreon also didn't help. Anyway stuff is dead, I did download the last version a few days ago in case of. I mostly used it to play some minor games anyway I honestly haven't felt like playing Zelda in a while and while the new one looks really cool and is likely objectively a really good game it doesn't appeal to me much, maybe one day I'll check it out.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
it's a year old and created with 10 year old tech, you arent missing anything
I really don't care about the tech though, I constantly play older games, currently playing Etrian Odyssey 3 which is a DS(not even 3DS) game, and I routinely play traditional roguelikes(recently Path of Achra which technically is a modern game although it's all fairly old school looking sprites and like usual traditional roguelikes is turn based without fancy animations). The only annoying tech thing is the 30FPS cap but on emulator pretty sure it plays at 60FPS(although you need a patch maybe cause it's unsupported?)

I just have a somewhat love/hate relationship with open world stuff where on one hand I really like how much there is to do because I like playing the same game for a while and really get into it. On the other hand I hate how much these is to do cause I always backtrack/check every corner to try to not miss anything and there's always some non obvious things that I might miss but I don't want to be sitting with a walkthrough constantly checking what I'm supposed to do.