Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Here's a ridiculously in-depth (i.e., it's over 6 hours) video that goes over the history of each Metroid game and summarizes the plots. It's really well made and worth a watch if you're like me and only have a surface knowledge of Metroid. I've dabbled in a few of the games (Metroid, Super Metroid, Metroid Prime), but never beat any of them. I had no idea there were so many games, many of which are apparently quite bad. Put it on your 2nd monitor while you game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

I watched something similar, the hunters? The one where the ai or something was mimicking people on the ship and killing them off 1 by 1 was legit

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I watched something similar, the hunters? The one where the ai or something was mimicking people on the ship and killing them off 1 by 1 was legit

That would be Prime: Hunters which is were Sylus was first introduced. It's also were you meet the other hunters you have to face off in Prime 3.. Sylus shows up in his ship at end credits with 100% clear.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
As the resident Metroid superfan, I'm more puzzled than anything else by the whole thing. But hey, more Prime to play isn't something I'll say no to. Wish we could have gotten MP2 and 3 HD in the interim though. What I really would like to play again is MP2.

I'm sure Metroid Prime 2 and 3 HD remasters are already in the pipeline, I'd be surprised if 2 doesn't get released before Metroid Prime 4 to keep the Metroid hype train going until release.

As for Metroids themselves, I'm sure they'll return. Metroid Dread confirmed that Samus Aran herself is a Metroid-hybrid now ever since the baby latched onto her in Super Metroid, so it's only a matter of time before Space Pirates / Ridley somehow get her DNA and extract the Metroid genes to clone some more and start the whole thing again. Dread also brought back the X Parasites massively, which gameplay-wise fill the same role as Metroids so they could also go in that direction.

Siliconemelons

I'm sure Metroid Prime 2 and 3 HD remasters are already in the pipeline, I'd be surprised if 2 doesn't get released before Metroid Prime 4 to keep the Metroid hype train going until release.

As for Metroids themselves, I'm sure they'll return. Metroid Dread confirmed that Samus Aran herself is a Metroid-hybrid now ever since the baby latched onto her in Super Metroid, so it's only a matter of time before Space Pirates / Ridley somehow get her DNA and extract the Metroid genes to clone some more and start the whole thing again. Dread also brought back the X Parasites massively, which gameplay-wise fill the same role as Metroids so they could also go in that direction.

I thought they did that in the fusion arch

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

At this point I think they'll keep running with "Samus is the last Metroid", essentially making the title of the series finally accurate to the main character: She's the Metroid. Kinda like how Zelda is finally about Zelda, at least for one game.

I was really hoping they'd continue the thread kinda started in Fusion/Other M about the Federation being seedy AF and a particular "deep state" branch of the Federation probably breeding Metroids in secret. They'd decide Samus knows too much and go after her. Which is what I thought Dread was gonna be about, since the EMMIs are Federation droids that conveniently "went haywire" and tried to kill her. However they instead went in the "evil dictator Chozo tribe offshoot" direction which was the other thing I wanted to see explored, so that's cool at least.

Not sure we'll ever actually get an "evil Federation" game because it'd require a level of storytelling that the Metroid games don't normally bother with, plus fighting human foes in ships which is kind of antithetical to the Metroid model.

Siliconemelons

At this point I think they'll keep running with "Samus is the last Metroid", essentially making the title of the series finally accurate to the main character: She's the Metroid. Kinda like how Zelda is finally about Zelda, at least for one game.

I was really hoping they'd continue the thread kinda started in Fusion/Other M about the Federation being seedy AF and a particular "deep state" branch of the Federation probably breeding Metroids in secret. They'd decide Samus knows too much and go after her. Which is what I thought Dread was gonna be about, since the EMMIs are Federation droids that conveniently "went haywire" and tried to kill her. However they instead went in the "evil dictator Chozo tribe offshoot" direction which was the other thing I wanted to see explored, so that's cool at least.

Not sure we'll ever actually get an "evil Federation" game because it'd require a level of storytelling that the Metroid games don't normally bother with, plus fighting human foes in ships which is kind of antithetical to the Metroid model.

I love Metroid, but the EMMI game mechanic killed it. Metroid is rarely a frantic run and gun- but that is what it forces Dread to be. I have heard you eventually power past them and that alert instant death mechanic is set aside, then the game is "normal-ish" - but I cant get to that part... I get no sense of where I am, because any time I am exploring or getting to know a place the stupid "monster" shows up and I have to run around randomly to evade it- sometimes you end up in a new place! oh joy, and you cant go back...so..okay...

Yes I am at the start, the story is interesting but to me, being an old man nintendo guy, the /mechanic/ of that game kills it... Also, imo, it is forcing a "mood" that most metroid games produce organicly, this one seems it was afraid of missing that mark and forced it with the EMMI and the mechanics etc. and thus failed.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I love Metroid, but the EMMI game mechanic killed it. Metroid is rarely a frantic run and gun- but that is what it forces Dread to be. I have heard you eventually power past them and that alert instant death mechanic is set aside, then the game is "normal-ish" - but I cant get to that part... I get no sense of where I am, because any time I am exploring or getting to know a place the stupid "monster" shows up and I have to run around randomly to evade it- sometimes you end up in a new place! oh joy, and you cant go back...so..okay...

Yes I am at the start, the story is interesting but to me, being an old man nintendo guy, the /mechanic/ of that game kills it... Also, imo, it is forcing a "mood" that most metroid games produce organicly, this one seems it was afraid of missing that mark and forced it with the EMMI and the mechanics etc. and thus failed.

75% of Dread isn't EMMI phases, and even if they do catch you, you can -always- parry their one-shot attack which stuns them for several seconds so you can safely get away. Timing is tricky but not any harder than a Dark Souls parry or a Sekiro perfect deflection. I really encourage you to push through the EMMI phases, the game is really worth it.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
"Last metroid" doesn't matter as even Sylus has Metroids, it would be interesting if Sylus was from the tribe of Chozo that helped create the Metroids, as they can telepathically control them, but he would seriously be a "runt" in that case.

sylux+metroids.png

Looks like story wise this game takes place long before the events of Fusion, so no X shenanigans at all, sense she is not using the Fusion suit. It looks like just Normal Varia.

Wrong, she is the Metroid-Hybrid cause she survived the X-parasite, the Metroid DNA the Federation gave her. Also there is Chozo DNA in her genetics(as it was the only way she could survive on Chozio), this plays a important part in Dread.. And explains a few things about her abilities...

Last edited: