No Man's Sky

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Meh. More and more posts (Especially on SA) are pointing to the fact the game is no where near worth $60 and should have never been packaged as such. Pretty sure they made a huge mistake on the part of trying to get a AAA price for this when in all actuality, $19-29 worth of game here. I am still on the fence until I read more. But I have seen about 7 "Do not buy this at $60" posts in the last 20 minutes on SA.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
So I bought it and it's downloading to my PS4. Was waffling between PC and PS4, but I figure the kids could probably play it which sold the deal. I expect it to be a sexier Starbound (without group play for now) at least to start.

That's kinda what it is. Starbound. Except the basebuilding isn't in yet. It will be in the future though. I think that plus co-op are ideal for this game, and its unfortunate they aren't in at the start.

Its a game that falls somewhere between casual and hard core and I think that may be what causes it to seem polarizing. For really casual people whove been super hyped about this from some of the media, they're going to hit a wall early where they're like "Uhh okay what next. What do I do next?" and for really hard core people they're going to go "This is too easy" or "There isn't enough conflict/action"

Go in with low expectations and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Go in expecting it to live up to all dat hype machine and you will inevitably be disappointed.

IRT Ut: The cost thing never is a good argument for me, personally, but if people are worried about spending 60 bucks for a game, then don't. As it is out of the box right now, 60 bucks might seem pricey.

If they take that 60 bucks and push out free content expansions to this for the next year or two, it will be well worth the 60 dollars.

Or wait, and it'll be 40 bucks by Black Friday on Steam I'm sure.

It really, to me, boils down to whether or not the game is a platform intended to be expanded upon, which they've indicated it is, or whether the game is complete as is, which I do not think it is.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
The problem is I know that by the time I walk out of the store, I am spending 47 due to BB Gamer Club. And I just really want to see a planet, fly through space and land there by going through it's atmosphere. So in all actuality, it's probably worth a risk because of the uniqueness of the game.

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I was always more interested in the game for the technology which I think is pretty cool than for the game play which always seemed to be to look average at best.

Nothing so far has changed my mind on that, but I don't think it's worth the price. I will most likely get it when it's on sale for half price.

• 1Like

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
If they put basebuilding in, its single player Subnautica + Starbound + Elite Dangerous

If they get co-op in on top of that somehow, then its basically set, imo.

That's the things it lacks the most.

There are decisions I would have made differently. I would have made faction templates that could be cut and pasted together to generate factions you can build rep with, so there's more variety. These factions would conflict on the planet surfaces. If you could build bases, enemy factions could potentially attack you, etc.

But that's almost making it a different game, as well, because the game is about grab what you can in the place you're at, and use it to bootstrap yourself to the next place, wherever that may be.

I dunno.

All I can say is I'm enjoying it. I've put probably 4.5 hours in now between last night and this morning. Its not perfect, but its good enough, and that's all I need. Especially cause fuck its been a desert for games the past month or two.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Played it for a few hours last night, enjoyed it but the constant nagging from the game to keep doing stuff was getting to me, suppose to explore not follow a AI's orders

Juvarisx

Florida
Fuck the haters, I am enjoying the fuck out of this game. If you like exploration, crafting, open sandbox games no reason you shouldn't like this. It's real slow paced though, but I can get my twitch games elsewhere.

I've spent 3 hours on the first planet identifying new creatures and finding all the upgrades. Yea I guess if you are gung-ho you can probably reach the end game in 40-50 hours I expect to take 5x that atleast. Pro-tip...you can use a USB keyboard with this game.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I'm playing on ps4 for now. I have it on both because I bought it for my kids on the ps4 and pc for myself.

I don't regret it. Agree with Juvarisx on all points.

Its very relaxing

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Fuck the haters, I am enjoying the fuck out of this game. If you like exploration, crafting, open sandbox games no reason you shouldn't like this. It's real slow paced though, but I can get my twitch games elsewhere.

I've spent 3 hours on the first planet identifying new creatures and finding all the upgrades. Yea I guess if you are gung-ho you can probably reach the end game in 40-50 hours I expect to take 5x that atleast.

I did the same. I was on the first planet a lot longer than I needed to be because I refueled/repaired my first ship, and then I claimed the DLC ship which also needed refueling, and you can only have one ship at a time. An annoying lesson but it made me explore the planet a lot more and I found a bunch of shit.

The scale of the game when you leave the first planet is really amazing.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I'll play more tonight for sure, I didn't leave the first planet at all just walked around about as much as you can with the starting suit, enjoying it

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I did the same. I was on the first planet a lot longer than I needed to be because I refueled/repaired my first ship, and then I claimed the DLC ship which also needed refueling, and you can only have one ship at a time. An annoying lesson but it made me explore the planet a lot more and I found a bunch of shit.

The scale of the game when you leave the first planet is really amazing.

I started over like 3 times this morning because I kept not getting the dlc ship which, ultimately, isn't that big a boost (but it looks way better than the default starter ship and handles better too), and I've kinda done a bit of everything at the start a couple different ways.

Its a very good idea to hang out on each planet for awhile. For instance, I just restarted an hour ago and I just found an 8 slot multitool with like 3 different 2x upgrades already built in for like 50k credits, which I earned at the same station just selling the little data chips and shit I got killing a few sentinals right off the bat.

Point being, this game, as you're both pointing out, is all about what you make of it.

My advice to every starting out is just take it at a very slow pace and give yourself time to enjoy wandering around a planet's surface in your ship seeking out resources, settlements, trading posts, and alien(s)/alien related shit and you'll start to see what the appeal in the game is.

Then once you start getting a feel for that, hop in your ship and head straight up.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I ended up getting the 20,000 step milestone before my ship took off.

• 1Like

Juvarisx

Florida
Holy christ, if you are on the fence about this game do NOT watch Lirik play it. He is brutal at this which is funny cause he was such a big Day-Z player

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Holy christ, if you are on the fence about this game do NOT watch Lirik play it. He is brutal at this which is funny cause he was such a big Day-Z player

That's a shame, I like his streams. I haven't picked this up yet but was going to today.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Grabbed it over lunch. $47.99 and they gave me a free preorder ship anyway.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Just got this today and about to fire it up. I'm skeptical, but intrigued. I do wonder how long before a decently robust wiki exists. I think this game will benefit from a lack of player knowledge before it releases for PC.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Played for several hours this morning, got off the starter planet quickly since it was bad. Hit the second planet, and stayed there..ocd. Gotta go to the question mark! Upgraded my suit 4 times, on my 4th multi-tool (16 slots). Trying to get 100% on this planet, I am missing 3 creatures, then its a 275k payday. Its really nice when you find a Market outlet that is nearby several material nodes which you can break down, then sell (like Aluminum / Nickel / Gold), easy way to make lots of credits. I'm having fun with it, more than I thought, and I've barely started. Fixed my hyper-drive, and made one warp cell (only because an alien gave me anti-matter).