No Man's Sky

Denaut

Trump's Staff
So I lurve me some open world games, and before purchasing watched some streams. Honestly, it seems like they did a great job making tech but the guy who was actually supposed to design the game got cancer or something and so they just didn't make one. They aren't alone in this, and I called it a year ago (according to my boss), but I was hoping to be wrong :(

(Looking at you Starbound and X:Rebirth)

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
So I lurve me some open world games, and before purchasing watched some streams. Honestly, it seems like they did a great job making tech but the guy who was actually supposed to design the game got cancer or something and so they just didn't make one. They aren't alone in this, and I called it a year ago (according to my boss), but I was hoping to be wrong :(

(Looking at you Starbound and X:Rebirth)

But there is a game there. It is fairly barebones at this point, but they've promised apparently all future updates for free, so its also a backbone around which there will be future growth.

I don't really see the problem unless you're just opposed to that sort of model in general, which is fine.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Ladro Ladro If you find a scanner, search for transmissions, they can send you to outposts with aliens which also sometimes have merchant robots.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
But there is a game there. It is fairly barebones at this point, but they've promised apparently all future updates for free, so its also a backbone around which there will be future growth.

I don't really see the problem unless you're just opposed to that sort of model in general, which is fine.

Like I said, they made the tech, which as you mentioned is a framework. It isn't easy to do that, it is certainly a technical accomplishment, but that doesn't make much of a game per say. Just having stuff to do isn't a game, the core of a game is the rule set and kind of decisions those rules create.

Granted, as a designer I'm am biased. Usually when I see something like this (X:Rebirth, Starbound) I can tell they didn't have an experienced full-time designer as everything screams coder/manager "design". It is hard to explain, but when I go check the company websites I rarely find anything to indicate such a person existed. This is true for Egosoft, ChuckleFish, and seems to be the same for Hello (just checked their site).

spronk

FPS noob
The amount of crashes on ps4 is just insane, pretty much one every hour for me. Not sure how this passed "certification", should have been a month more in QA to squish all these crashing bugs.

I definitely recommend using the dupe bug to avoid all the bullshit parts of the game, namely farming endlessly crap to make money so you can buy stuff. Dupe bug is super easy, just go out into space, find a space station, go inside, put some valuable stuff in your ship cargo, empty out your suit, save twice (hop in and out of the ship), go outside the station, shoot at the station, die to the sentinals that come out, when the death animations are over reload the PREVIOUS save, you'll find your entire inv in your current ship - move it over to suit, fly out to your graveyard, pick up all the items and tada dupes of everything.

game is way more fun when you have 10m credits and just cruise around checking shit out instead of the constant frantic "FUCK IMMA OUTTA EVERYTHING GOTTA FARM FOR 20 MINUTES SO I CAN MOVE FOR 2"

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Like I said, they made the tech, which as you mentioned is a framework. It isn't easy to do that, it is certainly a technical accomplishment, but that doesn't make much of a game per say. Just having stuff to do isn't a game, the core of a game is the rule set and kind of decisions those rules create.

Granted, as a designer I'm am biased. Usually when I see something like this (X:Rebirth, Starbound) I can tell they didn't have an experienced full-time designer as everything screams coder/manager "design". It is hard to explain, but when I go check the company websites I rarely find anything to indicate such a person existed. This is true for Egosoft, ChuckleFish, and seems to be the same for Hello (just checked their site).

I agree, it seems to me that what we have could have been quite a bit different if their designer had been around the entire development. Example; when you go the an Observatory complex and dot he puzzle, the text says it finds a signal from out in the cosmos, but then its just a place on the planet. Or how there are space stations in every system we warp too. Enjoyable for what it is, but us armchair devs will come away thinking it could be way more.

I went ahead and got the PC version, and its so much nicer to have the increased fov and frames, my only issue is the colors are much more intense.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Nothing like being maxed out on sentinel hate, running for your life to your ship and then getting fucked by the stupid movie box pop up bull shit for some retarded achievement and dying. Fuck you very much.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Dumbest idea ever, fuck those achievement screen popins(?). What were they even thinking keeping that in? Hey you "walked 2,000 meters let us interrupt your gameplay and annoy you!"

That and the hold down the x button to select a menu option on every option. I can see it be used for things like selling where you wouldn't want to sell some rare item like the atlas stones but for logging out and shit, just let me click and be done.

Both of these things instantly rustled my jimmies.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>

I mean that's fine and all. I actually do think the game is more about the experiential nature of it than it is about the emergent gameplay. I like both, of course, but I don't require all games to include both to be games, or fun.

But whatever floats your boat is fine by me.

game is way more fun when you have 10m credits and just cruise around checking shit out instead of the constant frantic "FUCK IMMA OUTTA EVERYTHING GOTTA FARM FOR 20 MINUTES SO I CAN MOVE FOR 2"

I mean, for me, that bootstrapping yourself up to enough space/cash/etc to do that is like 90% of the fun.

I dig if you don't like it though. Sounds like you're even more into the experiential side of it than I am, and that's good too.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
A game like this has a more existential type of story to it - the story you create. Saying you made it to the end and there was nothing is a bit extreme.

I agree it's all about the journey in a game like this. However, I recall interviews about how getting to the "core" of the universe was the ultimate end goal and was going to be super cool and there would be some mystery to it, etc. Like many other things, this dev team (mostly Murray) was full of shit. Game is worth a $30-40 purchase for exploration gamers, imo, but the devs deserve to be called our for all their misleading interviews and descriptions of the game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Just wish we could put the rest of Trade Wars into this game. Let me upgrade planets, install defenses, build starbases, spawn a universe/game for my friends and I to play at a LAN... galactic hide and seek and then defense of your empire from there. W/ AI smart enough to be worth playing with and we could all fight cooperatively if we wanted.

Provide tools to look at the universe a la Stellaris and let us design maps and scenarios for people to conquer.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ok. Wow. I'm pretty upset right now. My PC power cut out and on reboot I log into the game all all progress is lost and it's doing the hold E to start a new game thing. I'm super shitty but hey I'm on PC Master race and my saves are backed up by Steam right? All I need to do is hit a restore point (jump in and out of the starting ship) then restart the game and it'll tell me there's a save cconflict and pick which save I want right?...

WRONG.

I'm not sure how my steam backup save got wiped out also but this is 2+ days of progress all wiped out!

Edit: I take it back PC MASTER RACE!

Just found this and it worked perfectly'

As you can see...the system at the top has those boxes...unfortunately for me...I already uploaded them (it says I can still rename, but nothing happens) so this save game is broken too. My guess is, that a jump after uploading the discoveries is triggering this bug.
Hope they fix it...
--------------

If your save game is lost/corrupted and the game fails to load when you start the game
follow these steps and it might help you as it helped me.

1. Disable Cloud saving (right-click on NMS in steam library, properties)

2. go to "%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\HelloGames\NMS\" and open this st_(numbers here) folder and you'll see 6 files (alternatively open "run" and type in %appdata%)

mf_storage
mf_storage2
mf_storage3

storage
storage2
storage3

3. delete the files with the youngest date since these are the newest save games

4. start the game, cross thumbs

5. (hopefully) enjoy

Last edited:

Venijk

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah, gotta find one first which might take awhile on foot.

I'm guessing the advice is too late now but you can just go to your old ship and take it right back. It doesn't disappear. 20+ slot ship is pretty sweet though. All I've ever found from wreckages is ships that were +/- 2 slots from the one I've got

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I'm guessing the advice is too late now but you can just go to your old ship and take it right back. It doesn't disappear. 20+ slot ship is pretty sweet though. All I've ever found from wreckages is ships that were +/- 2 slots from the one I've got

That's all you will ever find from wreckages. You can't find a 48 slot ship crashed when you only own a 16 slot. You either have to buy a big upgrade or find wrecked ones incrementally better every time.

• 1Like

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm in my second system and decide the follow the white trails in space (the trader ship paths I think) to a moon planet. It's description is "Low Atmosphere Planet, Plentiful resources likely, Elevated strain on life support systems"

The plentiful resources? Plutonium, Iron and exo suit slot upgrade stations. I've found 10 so far and had to stop and use the Plutonium + Iron = Bypass chip trick to get another 2 mil so I could keep buying more. Also I've found two crashed ships already.

And because it's a totally black/dark brown moon planet the upgrade stations are REALLY easy to spot.

• 1Like

Ladro

Anomaly
Well, I finally found a beacon. Now to find a damn outpost.

7RwZiPQ.jpg

• 1Like

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
The best way to upgrade ships IMO is to wait at the space station and have moola. Lots of stuff comes in and out and after a bit you'll see some decent upgrades. 16 to 24 or so. Move on some and then repeat. The downed ships can be a PIA fixing everything depending on what is broken and the resources available. I've yet to find anything worth taking always 1 or 4 slots over what I have. Not worth it.