[NO Spoilers] Star Wars: Episode 7 - NO PUSSY SHIT

Arakkis

N00b
haha alright I'm going to quit trolling in this thread. What other threads does Column post in so I can go there and get these spergy walls of text?

iannis

Musty Nester
THX isn't that good. It's an good science fiction movie. The bar is lower.

American Graffiti is pretty decent, I'll give you that.

So that's two movies out of... he's made a lot of movies.

HOWARD THE DUCK.

Lucas is obviously a better businessman than he is a director. He is probably one of the shrewdest businessmen (in entertainment) of his generation. And that's not nothin'. That's a whole lot more than nothin'. I assume that his production company flat out -drove- special effects for the better part of a decade. And that's impressive.

But a good director, I gotta say he just isn't that.

Here's another one for you -- James Cameron hasn't made a good movie since The Abyss (Extended Cut). But he's still a zillionaire. Can't explain that!

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
James Cameron doesn't make movies in the genres we want, he makes movies in the genres that his accountant needs. He never became a Jedi to use his power for good like Christopher Nolan.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
James Cameron doesn't make movies in the genres we want, he makes movies in the genres that his accountant needs. He never became a Jedi to use his power for good like Christopher Nolan.
Not really. I know james cameron doesn't give a fuck but Iannis is right, since the abyss you don't see anything good by him, anything groundbreaking...
Lucas would be a great working at Apple because directing movies is not really his thing.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Not really. I know james cameron doesn't give a fuck but Iannis is right, since the abyss you don't see anything good by him, anything groundbreaking...
Lucas would be a great working at Apple because directing movies is not really his thing.
The fuck kind of nonsense is this? You didn't like Terminator 2 or True Lies?

Juvarisx

Florida
Yea that was a pretty retarded statement. Even though people here will LOATHE Titanic, its pretty much a perfect guide on how to make a film using actual sets, props, miniatures, extras, and using CGI to enhance a movie properly. It was a very very solid movie directing wise, but it has a shitty script so whatever.

Seriously go watch a behind the scenes on making the Titanic movie, it puts anything Nolan has done to shame sans that spinning hallways in Inception.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Titanic and Avatar were both pretty groundbreaking with visual effects even if you didn't like the movies. True lies was fantastic and T2 was great and groundbreaking.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
James Cameron didn't properly dramatize the titanic's destruction. Michael Bay should redo that film for the benefit of mankind.

ohkcrlho

The fuck kind of nonsense is this? You didn't like Terminator 2 or True Lies?
When i was younger, i thought T2 was the best thing ever. But now i realize it's not that awesome. You have the same time travel thing, arnie is way better being a baddie and the kid is fucking annoying (do not care about his age). In terms of sfx? Yup it's really amazing but overall i don't understand the hype around it. Already said on the terminator 2015 thread, what i really wanted to see was a movie during the war kyle fought.
I liked the movie but T1 and Aliens are his masterpieces.

True lies? Ffs retarded as fuck.i know he wanted to make something funny but for me is really dumb.

Titanic? Just because it made 1billion+ it's groundbreaking? It's well made but a love story during a tragedy? Seen it....

Avatar? Pocahontas in space....enough said.

Let me rephrase it, titanic was his last movie he made with true passion.avatar is just recycling old movies/stories

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
When i was younger, i thought T2 was the best thing ever. But now i realize it's not that awesome. You have the same time travel thing, arnie is way better being a baddie and the kid is fucking annoying (do not care about his age). In terms of sfx? Yup it's really amazing but overall i don't understand the hype around it. Already said on the terminator 2015 thread, what i really wanted to see was a movie during the war kyle fought.

True lies? Ffs retarded as fuck.i know he wanted to make something funny but for me is really dumb.

Titanic? Just because it made 1billion+ it's groundbreaking? It's well made but a love story during a tragedy? Seen it....

Let me rephrase it, titanic was his last movie he made with true passion.avatar is just recycling old movies/stories
Of all of the movies you mentioned in that rant... you forgot this masterpiece.

abyss1.jpg

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

In other words you don't like anything.

Caliane

what?

how is Avatar recycling but Titanic wasn't? Even Aliens was recycling.
No one ever claimed he doesn't do that. Is there even anything wrong with that? Starwars was recycling too. So was Indiana jones.
the investment, the invention of tech for it, and him forcing Avatar to get made is pretty clear evidence that he had passion for the project.
(even if the end result had many of the often noted flaws)

ohkcrlho

ahah so much -tuconets.
caliane,at least with titanic he went to the deep fucking ocean and explore titanic's wreckage. the movie was a love story but at least he tried to make something good out of it (still i don't like it)
avatar is pocahontas in space PERIOD his passion his to make something new,something that is outstanding. avatar is just the 3D amazing sfx and that's it.

ohkcrlho

i like T2 but sill i think it's overrated (not in a bad way)
true lies?average
titanic?not my taste at all

i LOVE T1 and Aliens and i like the Abyss, just refering cameron's movies.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Cameron was doing just as much with CGI in his years as Lucas did effects in his day. The liquid tentacle thing in Abyss was cutting edge and paved the way for the liquid metal (harder to render the reflections) in T2. I always think people that criticise these films do not put them into context with what it was competing with at the time.

Watching some of these films now, yea you might not be as blown away at the effects and critique their storylines more closely. It's really about the bigger picture, in my opinion.

Some kid would watch an old film like Jason and the Argonauts today and laugh at it looking corny as hell. In it's day it pioneered stop motion and was absolutely ground breaking. Jurassic Park was the first I had seen what looked "real as shit" dinosaurs walking across the screen and blew me away as a teenager. Every dinosaur flick before that was stop motion / claymation / dudes in suits, etc. It's all relative.

Rag on Lucas for prequels and Cameron for Avatar, but they helped push the boundaries for cinematography / CGI and we are all better off for having them.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Nearly 25 fucking years since T2 man! The effects in that movie is being compared to today? That is reason enough to give it respect.