[NO Spoilers] Star Wars: Episode 7 - NO PUSSY SHIT

fris

Vyemm Raider
its a sad truth when toy sales impact the movies. its why we never saw a sequel to The Incredible but did for Cars

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i know you think i'm crazy but george lucas was right about RotJ.i think killing han solo would not make any sense (all that work and then he dies?lame).
for once the happy ending was well fit,because it ended the saga on a high note,with every character receiving a decent end.
and...i like the ewoks

iannis

Musty Nester
So the reason for Ewoks and the giant happy ending is by RotJ, Lucas cared more about toy sales than he did his film.
Can you even come close to blaming him?

RotJ was still a perfectly good ending to the series. It's fine with me if he wants to service the toys if he is still able to deliver a good product to do it with.

What is not fine is him servicing the toys and delivering a bad product to do it with. That's all that the prequels were. It's the exact same thing except in the instance of Return the movie was good. In the instance of Phantom the movie was cynically produced garbage.

There's no particular reason for RotJ to have been a tragedy. Lucas made the right call there for whatever reason he made it. If RotJ had had that dark ending, Star Wars itself would not be nearly as well remembered. Killing Han wouldn't make the movie poignant, it would work at a cross purpose to the tone of the series.

I didn't hate the ewoks. Yeah, they're kinda dumb. It's funny when they're killing AT-AT walkers with giant rocks strung to trees. Is it believable?

Is anything in Star Wars believable?

It's a creative fantasy. It's like arguing that a dragon wouldn't be able to fly. Well, of course not. That's what the magic is for.

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
Can you even come close to blaming him?

RotJ was still a perfectly good ending to the series. It's fine with me if he wants to service the toys if he is still able to deliver a good product to do it with.

What is not fine is him servicing the toys and delivering a bad product to do it with. That's all that the prequels were. It's the exact same thing except in the instance of Return the movie was good. In the instance of Phantom the movie was cynically produced garbage.

There's no particular reason for RotJ to have been a tragedy. Lucas made the right call there for whatever reason he made it. If RotJ had had that dark ending, Star Wars itself would not be nearly as well remembered. Killing Han wouldn't make the movie poignant, it would work at a cross purpose to the tone of the series.

I didn't hate the ewoks. Yeah, they're kinda dumb. It's funny when they're killing AT-AT walkers with giant rocks strung to trees. Is it believable?

Is anything in Star Wars believable?

It's a creative fantasy. It's like arguing that a dragon wouldn't be able to fly. Well, of course not. That's what the magic is for.
It is commonly thought of as the weakest of the three original movies. It's the weakest because instead of focusing on the story he focused on making sure toy sales were good. The only reason RotJ turned out half way decent is because Lucas wasn't the sole creative force behind it like he was the prequels.

Although everyone loved it, it was an obvious cash grab with the Ewoks and everyone who saw it in 1983 knew it. The happy ending is fine and doesn't make or break the movie. I think though that a movie with more of a deep and meaningful story, closer akin to Star Wars and Empire, would have been better.

iannis

Musty Nester
Well yeah, but deep and meaningful doesn't have to result in tragedy.

I agree. The movie would have been better if it had been better.
biggrin.png
And I also agree, of the three it is the weakest.

But at that point I doubt that Lucas was his own master, either. Star Wars took everyone by surprise. Empire busted a nut right in everyone's face. By that point, Lucas was established. I think he was probably more interested in not completely fucking himself out of millions of dollars than he was interested in artistic purity. I suspect that if he'd tried to go dark with it many drama fueled hollywood shennanigans would have happened and Lucas himself would only be white-collar wealthy rather than absurdly hollywood rich.

It coulda been worse too. Before the prequels released I'm sure no one thought it coulda been worse. But, Oh -- it coulda been worse.

The first half of the movie really is very good.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
although ROTJ was the weakest of the original trilogy, it was still a very good movie. i didn't like the ewoks that much either, but it certainly didn't ruin the movie. the beginning scene in jabba's palace was well done, the speeder bike scene was also great, the space battle lead by lando was good, and the final battle between luke, vader, and the emperor was great and a fitting ending to the trilogy. i also agree that i don't think killing han would have added anything to the story, and would have in fact had the opposite effect and made it anticlimactic (if he'd died at the end of the second movie i think that would have been fine, since that movie was the darkest of the three to begin with).

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
i know you think i'm crazy but george lucas was right about RotJ.i think killing han solo would not make any sense (all that work and then he dies?lame).
If I recall correctly, it wasn't just going to be that Han Solo died, but that he was going to sacrifice himself to save the others. If he was going to die, I think that would've been a fitting way for him to go out. He starts off as the detached scoundrel who is in it solely for the profit who slowly comes around to their way of thinking and then selflessly puts Luke and the rebellion ahead of himself for the greater good.

marrior_sl

shitlord
ROTJ also had one of the greatest few seconds in movie effects IMO just after the reactor is destroyed and the Falcon immediately starts flying though the metal bars. It's like YESS!!! to OH SHIT!!! in a second.

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
If I recall correctly, it wasn't just going to be that Han Solo died, but that he was going to sacrifice himself to save the others. If he was going to die, I think that would've been a fitting way for him to go out. He starts off as the detached scoundrel who is in it solely for the profit who slowly comes around to their way of thinking and then selflessly puts Luke and the rebellion ahead of himself for the greater good.
Nub nub

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Han dying would only make sense if Luke wasn't Leia's brother. Lando and Chewie are not boyfriend material.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Han dying would only make sense if Luke wasn't Leia's brother. Lando and Chewie are not boyfriend material.
I would guess that's one of the reasons Lucas nixed the idea. You can have Han go out a hero by sacrificing himself, but the "happy ending" part of that would be completely overshadowed by the tragic ending to Han and Leia's romance.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
The Ewoks make ROTJ almost unwatchable now. Which is especially annoying because of how their scenes are cut in with the awesome space battle and awesome throne room stuff. You go from that, to stormtroopers falling over to arrows that are clearly bouncing off of their plastic armor.

j00t

Luke and Leia not being siblings wouldn't have changed anything. Luke was going to be revan and disappear in the outer rim

spronk

FPS noob
i still remember that scene in rotj where han looks at the falcon and makes a comment to lando about how he has a feeling he's never gonna see that ship again. dun dun dun, will han or lando die? only black man in star wars, watch out lando!

ohkcrlho

If I recall...
Leia and han were the only love story in star wars, killing him would not give a satisfying end to both characters (plus, han was very popular and his death would piss the fans).
I know it's a lovey dovey thing but i don't see star wars as dark as other movies or sagas.

TJ Lazer_sl

shitlord
I recently netflixed all of the Star War Blus and came to the realization that it all sucks. It just all sucks a ton of dick. It hurt to admit it to myself, but I finally grew up. It's just a big stinkin' nerd claptrap.

iannis

Musty Nester
You can say that about RotJ or even New Hope and you can make a credible argument. But Empire Strikes Back is all sorts of awesome.

The better troll is to attack New Hope. You can. It's not that hard to do, the movie is flawed like Jedi is flawed. But even people that aren't Star Wars nerds and don't really give a shit either way will easily admit that Empire Strikes Back is one of those all-time great kinds of movies.

It just is. It defined a decade.