NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Paste goes here, right? To smooth out the gaps between the pins?

View attachment 396267
Screenshot 2022-02-01 230400.png

ROFL is that heatsink on the NVME slot? Holy fucking unnecessary, Batman. What a retarded fucking design.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 396311

ROFL is that heatsink on the NVME slot? Holy fucking unnecessary, Batman. What a retarded fucking design.
Not really. NVMEs get hot which directly impacts their performance. I mean who knows if that design will actually keep them cooler on that mobo but you want your nvme drives running as cool as possible.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Not really. NVMEs get hot which directly impacts their performance. I mean who knows if that design will actually keep them cooler on that mobo but you want your nvme drives running as cool as possible.
This is only sort of true. You don't want the actual memory, the NAND Flash to get cool. It operates best warm (like 50-70c or something). The controller generally gets hot as fuck though, and you probably want cooling for that. It's a weird situation. But really the difference between a shitty heatsink that comes with a budget motherboard and that monstrosity is probably like 2c at best. This shit's way more about visual than performance.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It also protects the NVME from the heat of being sandwiched between the GPU and CPU.

It's a little overengineered but this is PCIE 5.0 capable, needs to be future-proof.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, no. People VASTY overestimate how hot their NVME drives are getting/how much cooling they need. I had one in a 20 year old case with only 1 rear exhaust van and no other cooling, on an 11 year old board, attached to a shitty PCIE converter card with just the basic heatsink it came with - never reached above 33c.

I mean sure, they definitely need some form of heatsink/cooling, but that board is so fucking overboard it's comical.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, no. People VASTY overestimate how hot their NVME drives are getting/how much cooling they need. I had one in a 20 year old case with only 1 rear exhaust van and no other cooling, on an 11 year old board, attached to a shitty PCIE converter card with just the basic heatsink it came with - never reached above 33c.
Well no shit it didn't get hot, there's no way it was transferring at more than 600 MB/s installed in such a way.

These new NVME SSDs can transfer at 7400 MB/s, and the next gen ones will probably come close to doubling that.

• 1Like
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Well any heatsink is going to keep it cooler than not having one.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
No one trusts antonline, they're like newegg with their customer service if there is any issue at all expect a nightmare.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
NVME heat issues are non-existent for anyone who uses the PC to just game - and AntOnline is the devil, if you buy something make sure you NEVER have to return because they will find any way to take up to 30% of a returns cost.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
What ive read is the the nvme's really work wonders if youre doing tons of read and write type shit. Video editing, mass data transfers, etc.. But for normal use and gaming they are not even faster than the old gen SSD. At least none that you will notice.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
What ive read is the the nvme's really work wonders if youre doing tons of read and write type shit. Video editing, mass data transfers, etc.. But for normal use and gaming they are not even faster than the old gen SSD. At least none that you will notice.

I can tell when I am the 1st on the maps in BF games to load.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I’ve noticed a big difference from my Samsung 980 2.5” SSD to my gen4 nvme with loading games like New World and No Man’s Sky.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Shit, nvme makes a difference over SSD for load times? You guys are making me want to upgrade to play PoE. They content bloated and did some fucking shitty implementation of texture streaming that somehow lead to LONGER map load times.

The irony of having to fight scalpers and flippers IRL just so I can fight scalpers and flippers in PoE.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Uhh they certainly do, its just youll run into games that simply dont benefit. Youre talking 500-600mb for sata3 drives compared to 2000mb+ for nvme drives.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
To use the FFXIV Benchmark total load times as a comparison:
SATA SSD 15-20 seconds
M.2 Generic 10-15 seconds
M.2 PS5 Speeds 7-10 seconds

Even turning a 4-5 second load into a 1-3 second is noticeable the more you play. Meanwhile some people still run old HDDs and hit 60+ seconds.